You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

Just Jack

Teen injures eye after BB ricochets off of tree

by Robert A. Baker / The Post-Standard

Friday December 26, 2008, 3:41 PM

SYRACUSE, NY -- A 16-year-old boy was in University Hospital awaiting surgery this afternoon after a BB he shot ricocheted off a tree and struck close to his eye, Syracuse police said.

The boy, whom police have not immediately identified, was wounded about 2:30 p.m. in the backyard of 203 Crafton Ave., Lt. Joe Cecile, speaking for Syracuse police, said. He had been shooting a BB rifle with his uncle when a shot ricocheted off a tree, Cecile said.

The BB lodged very close to the boy's eye, and may have entered the eye socket, but did not seem to affect the eye, Cecile said.

A 16-year-old boy was in University Hospital awaiting surgery this afternoon after a BB he shot ricocheted off a tree and struck close to his eye, Syracuse police said.

No way! That's exactly what happened to Ralphie!

Hope he's ok.

This is the first time I've ever heard of something like this actually happening.

But, I will give this example from my own family: my aunt stuck herself in the eye with a fork when she was 4 years old. She had to have that eye removed due to infection when she was 40, and she had a glass eye put in.

My aunt will be 91 in February.

I bought a Daisy model 880 BB gun for the heck of it, 10 or so years ago. Something like 35 bucks.

I was amazed at its' power. With the maximum 10 pumps, the manual says it will shoot a BB with a muzzle velocity of 685 fps, and a lead .177 pellet at 665 fps. Those figures are close to a standard velocity .22 Short.

The manual quotes a max range of 291 yards with a BB, 284 yards with a pellet.

This is the first time I've ever heard of something like this actually happening.

But, I will give this example from my own family: my aunt stuck herself in the eye with a fork when she was 4 years old. She had to have that eye removed due to infection when she was 40, and she had a glass eye put in.

Really? A high school classmate lost an eye to a BB in sixth grade.

Never asked him, but I'm guessing he doesn't enjoy this movie ...

It can happen. When I was a kid, I had a BB ricochet off a tree and hit dead center in the right lens of my glasses. Had I not been wearing them, I'm sure I would've been blinded by it. Luckily, no harm was done, it just bounced off the lens. I don't know how it didn't break it, because it hit pretty hard.