This guy (and these people) really gets it.

I'm not stereotyping. Where is the vast majority of the violence taking place and who makes up the vast majority of the Baath party? You have your Shia nutcases causing trouble as well, but most of the real trouble is centered in predominantly Sunni areas.

The territory comment was a Risk game reference. What is, or should be politically desired is a democratic Iraq that is considered to be a strong US ally within the region. That goes for both sides.

91227[/snapback]

That still doesn't mean that every Sunni muslim wants to see the Shias downtrodden, which seems to be what you were implying with your crack about my relatives. The real irony of all this is that if the US really wanted an Iraq that was an ally of the US, it may well have been achievable if the US hadn't gone in for the control-freakery approach in post-war Iraq. The more you try to force people into something, the more likely they are to resist. There was a considerable amout of goodwill towards the US immediately following the fall of Saddam. That has all but evapourated. The Bush administration seems to have had the viewpoint that they could do whatever they wish in post-war Iraq without any regard for what the Iraqi people thought, after all they had got rid of Saddam -that was enough. Get rid of the army - put 400,000 well-trained and well-armed people out of work? - no problem, we got rid of Saddam. Sack doctors, teachers, administrators simply because they were members of the Baath party (for many people, there was no other way to get a job) - no problem, we got rid of Saddam. Leave ammunition dumps unattended for weeks (and no, I'm not going on media reports - I know that people from my relatives' village were pleading for the Americans to do something about this, but they weren't interested - no problem, we got rid of Saddam. Privatise virtually everything and try to sell it off to foreign investors - no problem, we got rid of Saddam.

That still doesn't mean that every Sunni muslim wants to see the Shias downtrodden, which seems to be what you were implying with your crack about my relatives. The real irony of all this is that if the US really wanted an Iraq that was an ally of the US, it may well have been achievable if the US hadn't gone in for the control-freakery approach in post-war Iraq. The more you try to force people into something, the more likely they are to resist. There was a considerable amout of goodwill towards the US immediately following the fall of Saddam. That has all but evapourated. The Bush administration seems to have had the viewpoint that they could do whatever they wish in post-war Iraq without any regard for what the Iraqi people thought, after all they had got rid of Saddam -that was enough. Get rid of the army - put 400,000 well-trained and well-armed people out of work? - no problem, we got rid of Saddam. Sack doctors, teachers, administrators simply because they were members of the Baath party (for many people, there was no other way to get a job) - no problem, we got rid of Saddam. Leave ammunition dumps unattended for weeks (and no, I'm not going on media reports - I know that people from my relatives' village were pleading for the Americans to do something about this, but they weren't interested - no problem, we got rid of Saddam. Privatise virtually everything and try to sell it off to foreign investors - no problem, we got rid of Saddam.

91292[/snapback]

If everyone wants this madness to end, where are the moderate sunnis, shias and whoever else wants to play? Hand over the bad guys, stop the killings and everyone can get back to normal. I'd rather see 100,000 Americans in Iraq helping to build stuff than 100,000 combat troops.

anti-imperliasm.net?

Now there's a bastion of responsible, fair, unbiased reporting...Where do you people find this stuff?  :blush:

A French run website to boot.  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

91284[/snapback]

I got it off google news. They are reporting on a study and had virtually ZERO side taken in that article. No commentary whatsoever. It just listed facts and quotes. I had no idea what or where it came from, I only read the fact-only article based on a study from John Hopkins and Columbia University along with a university in Baghdad. In fact, I didn't even notice the name of the website until I cut and pasted the link. There is no slant to it.

Here, is this better for you? Now I guess it is official.

http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20...75050-4978r.htm

If everyone wants this madness to end, where are the moderate sunnis, shias and whoever else wants to play? Hand over the bad guys, stop the killings and everyone can get back to normal. I'd rather see 100,000 Americans in Iraq helping to build stuff than 100,000 combat troops.

91313[/snapback]

As I said, most of the goodwill felt towards the US has gone and there is a probably a majority of Iraqis that resents their continued presence. I very much doubt that many Iraqis are going to risk their lives talking to the US and that has nothing to do with how "moderate" they are.

As I said, most of the goodwill felt towards the US has gone and there is a probably a majority of Iraqis that resents their continued presence. I very much doubt that many Iraqis are going to risk their lives talking to the US and that has nothing to do with how "moderate" they are.

91461[/snapback]

They don't need to talk to the US. They can tell Zarqawi they've had enough of this stevestojan, go home.

Its not our fault that the average Iraqi is too stupid to understand the concept of "Get your stevestojan together and we will leave quicker".

There was a video from a couple of months or so ago when an Iraqi group said exactly that.

91471[/snapback]

I and several members of this board have been there. While I enjoyed killing camels, I never took any enjoyment from killing Iraqis. I'm almost certain that the current crop of guys and gals there feel the same way. This could stop. It's hard for many of us to understand what these Iraqi "patriots" (cough) are gaining by blowing up their own people, their own powerplants and their own oil infrastructure. Don't the Iraqi's realize that if the other side wins they will be another Iran? Or worse?

stevestojan, we have to fight Al Qaida on their turf and them as well.

Its not our fault that the average Iraqi is too stupid to understand the concept of "Get your stevestojan together and we will leave quicker".

91469[/snapback]

Every once in awhile true colors come out in a post like this. Are we in the Twilight Zone? Maybe they should have gotten their stevestojan together and ousted Saddam, too. Maybe our soldiers should just ask any Iraqi for the directions to Zarqawi's house.

Right Wing America: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness, as long as you live your life the way we'd like you to and aren't too stupid to get in the way of our bombs, liberty as long as you're not doing anything that might not fit in with our agenda or that we might deem suspicious, and happiness, well, better luck next time.