This guy (and these people) really gets it.

Civilian deaths rise dramatically when countries are at war, and a majority of deaths can be attributed to violence.

They certainly do get it. What would we do without hard-hitting research like this?

90074[/snapback]

That obviously shows your sympathy and concern for the substance of the (non-partisan) group, study and article, and the people it questioned and referenced.

Things were much better when 50,000 Iraqi kids were dying every year due to lack of food and medicine, while Saddam was getting fat thanks to the UN's oil-for-palaces-and-weapons program.

90080[/snapback]

Apparently, according to the study, things were better. Less citizens were dying.

Apparently, according to the study, things were better. Less citizens were dying.

90085[/snapback]

...with no end in sight.

I'd be interested in seeing the same type of study performed comparing the next 10 years with the years between the Gulf War and OIF.

The article didn't make much mention of the mass graves either. I wonder how that was taken into account.

That obviously shows your sympathy and concern for the substance of the (non-partisan) group, study and article, and the people it questioned and referenced.

90083[/snapback]

How do you gauge my level of sympathy and concern about the people in question by my ridiculing something as stupid as research that concludes "when wars happen, more people die, many due to violence"? Did I say something to ridicule victims of wars? If so, I apologize.

I'm still wondering when we're going to liberate the rape camps in Sudan. I know that was a big outrage here.

I guess that's being postponed until the oil companies complete their exploration and determine if the human rights and civil liberties violations are bad enough to warrant intervention.

I'm still wondering when we're going to liberate the rape camps in Sudan.  I know that was a big outrage here.

I guess that's being postponed until the oil companies complete their exploration and determine if the human rights and civil liberties violations are bad enough to warrant intervention.

90131[/snapback]

The UN is taking care of it. So I don't see why anyone should be worried.

With the election just days away, I guess there's no time like the present.

“Our findings need to be independently verified with a larger sample group. However, I think our survey demonstrates the importance of collecting civilian casualty information during a war and that it can be done,” said lead author Les Roberts, PhD, an associate with the Bloomberg School of Public Health’s Center for International Emergency, Disaster and Refugee Studies.

Too bad they don't "get" who the real enemy is.

The researchers found that the majority of deaths were attributed to violence, which were primarily the result of military actions by Coalition forces. Most of those killed by Coalition forces were women and children. However, the researchers stressed that they found no evidence of improper conduct by the Coalition soldiers.

I'm still wondering when we're going to liberate the rape camps in Sudan.  I know that was a big outrage here.

90131[/snapback]

Why am I still paying $2.49/ gal for 87 octane? Your theory is full of holes my dear.

90131[/snapback]

We are going to the UN. Remember, that is what you wanted with international issues. The UN to take care of it. Happy with the results, yet?

Things were much better when 50,000 Iraqi kids were dying every year due to lack of food and medicine, while Saddam was getting fat thanks to the UN's oil-for-palaces-and-weapons program.

90080[/snapback]

So the only possibilities were either starving the Iraqi people to death or bombing them to death? Some choice.

The world treats (and abuses) the U.S. like a homeowner treats his very skilled (but slightly talkative and perhaps overly friendly) neighbor....

They dont want to hear from us at all and want us to stay on our side of the fence......until their sink starts leaking.

So the only possibilities were either starving the Iraqi people to death or bombing them to death? Some choice.

90764[/snapback]

If they and their Jihaddist buddies would stop shooting, this would long ago have been a non-issue. They want the Americans gone, right? My ass. This isn't about Iraq at this point, except up in Sunni land, where it's about Sunnis. I bet the relatives don't care much for Shiites involved in an election, do they?

If they and their Jihaddist buddies would stop shooting, this would long ago have been a non-issue. They want the Americans gone, right? My ass. This isn't about Iraq at this point, except up in Sunni land, where it's about Sunnis. I bet the relatives don't care much for Shiites involved in an election, do they?

91143[/snapback]

What? How many Iraqi Sunni muslims have you known? The picture some Americans seems to have of Iraq (Sunnis = evil undemocratic muslims who were living the life of Riley under Saddam, Shiites = better, but still a bit dodgy, Kurds = great) is absolutely laughable. Actually my relatives would like nothing better than to have a fully democratic Iraq. Nothing like making assumptions based on stereotypes, is there? Also, you yourself have said that this war is about "territory". If that is indeed the case, why the hell should they stop shooting?

What? How many Iraqi Sunni muslims have you known? The picture some Americans seems to have of Iraq (Sunnis = evil undemocratic muslims who were living the life of Riley under Saddam, Shiites = better, but still a bit dodgy, Kurds  = great) is absolutely laughable. Actually my relatives would like nothing better than to have a fully democratic Iraq. Nothing like making assumptions based on stereotypes, is there? Also, you yourself have said that this war is about "territory". If that is indeed the case, why the hell should they stop shooting?

91188[/snapback]

I'm not stereotyping. Where is the vast majority of the violence taking place and who makes up the vast majority of the Baath party? You have your Shia nutcases causing trouble as well, but most of the real trouble is centered in predominantly Sunni areas.

The territory comment was a Risk game reference. What is, or should be politically desired is a democratic Iraq that is considered to be a strong US ally within the region. That goes for both sides.