Seattle: another point for them being Ground Zero

stuckincincy

The run off from the salted roads, would kill the once depleted salmon runs. There is rarely a winter storm like the one we are experiencing now. Maybe if people knew how to drive in all weather, there wouldn't be so many people whining. Oh yeah, and they might want to pick up a shovel as well. My hippy prius gets me around in the snow and ice just fine ..... I am from Buffalo though.

It is already brackish water... Would it add that much more salinated water? Like I said, they already turn the water back at the lock(s) before reaching Lake Washington... Even right at the FISH LADDER... They have done studies where a brine solution works effectively if they place it on the roads early... Also, like I said, it uses much LESS salt than normal.

Now... If you had ice like they do today in IL, NOTHING would get you around if the terrain is remotely or even slightly hilly. Then mix in NO salt and you would literally have a cluster phuck if the temps didn't recover above freezing (which it is expected to do)... Yet, when the nighly low hits... It would just refreeze... Salt helps that. CHEAPLY.

I just don't buy the hippy argument... There are so man intangibles. IMO, Seattle is just being cheap knowing the stuff can't stick around forever... Which is fine with me... But, just tell me that. That just won't float in other environs though!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My hippy prius gets me around in the snow and ice just fine ..... I am from Buffalo though.

Really? My hippy Prius is horrible in the snow. The traction control cuts power to the drive wheels at the worst times and causes loss of control of the car.

You have a newer one or something? I thought that traction control problem was endemic to the car.

Really? My hippy Prius is horrible in the snow. The traction control cuts power to the drive wheels at the worst times and causes loss of control of the car.

You have a newer one or something? I thought that traction control problem was endemic to the car.

Exactly... You wanna see something horrible in the ice and snow... We have electric carts at work. From a stand still I think you get more speed with an electric motor... Unless they compensate for that in the design of the car (ie: Traction Control)... I would think you wouldn't won't an electric motor in bad conditions? Giving you more torque when you don't need it... Even worse, how in the heck is the computer going to adapt to an infinite amount of weather possibilities? Now couple that with very little cars and very light little tires... I would think you would want heavy tires to get more tractive effort.

That is why the beauty of my Jeep is it's low torque venerable inline 6. Yes, it is horrible at times... But, it will really get you out of some deep messes.

??

The factory tires are just awful, I bought Yokahomas, and its like night and day.

They changed it - not just for Prius but on their other vehicles. They now tout the fact that you can turn it off as a "feature" :blush:

I'm not sure what system they use - the lesser ones cut cut power to the drive wheels, the more sophisticated do some of that, but also can apply brake force to the drive wheel that is spinning, directing power to the wheel(s) that the system senses to have more traction.

Some systems are never completely off - I believe Mercedes and Ford are of that type (and might very by model).

They changed it - not just for Prius but on their other vehicles. They now tout the fact that you can turn it off as a "feature" :blush:

I'm not sure what system they use - the lesser ones cut cut power to the drive wheels, the more sophisticated do some of that, but also can apply brake force to the drive wheel that is spinning, directing power to the wheel(s) that the system senses to have more traction.

Some systems are never completely off - I believe Mercedes and Ford are of that type (and might very by model).

They definitely cut power. MINE definitely cuts power. It's a pretty nasty feature - at a light, I can start moving, and as soon as either wheel slips, both lose power, basically causing me to lose any ability to control the car. And here I am, used to "Keep power up and constant, and ease of gently if you feel a wheel start to slip". Annoying-as-sh-- feature. As electronic and computerized as that car is, you'd think they could have at least eased the power off the wheels, instead of suddenly cutting it altogether. I've seriously considered pulling the fuze on that "feature"...but I think I'll try Thirdborn's tire recommendation first.

I like my car, don't get me wrong...but I wouldn't own one in Buffalo. As it is, down here when it snows, I have more control over our 2WD pickup than the Prius.

They definitely cut power. MINE definitely cuts power. It's a pretty nasty feature - at a light, I can start moving, and as soon as either wheel slips, both lose power, basically causing me to lose any ability to control the car. And here I am, used to "Keep power up and constant, and ease of gently if you feel a wheel start to slip". Annoying-as-sh-- feature. As electronic and computerized as that car is, you'd think they could have at least eased the power off the wheels, instead of suddenly cutting it altogether. I've seriously considered pulling the fuze on that "feature"...but I think I'll try Thirdborn's tire recommendation first.

I like my car, don't get me wrong...but I wouldn't own one in Buffalo. As it is, down here when it snows, I have more control over our 2WD pickup than the Prius.

You have to be cautious about disabling traction control and /or electronic stability control. They are tied into the ABS system, so defeating them usually defeats the ABS. And probably make the instrument panel light up like a Christmas tree.

My guess is that your Prius would go nuts - it is a highly integrated vehicle.

Snows are always a plus - the recommendation with ABS is to mount them on all fours, although I have used just fronts. I wouldn't do that on a car equipped with ESC...getting into a situation where it activates, and having tires with different tractive capabilities could make things exciting...

Expensive iron with bigger rear tires - Porsches and the like, make do - but those are cost-is-no-object systems.

Brine On Roads

Whitehall hopes to become a regional hub for supplying other communities with brine, a fancy name for salt water. But the city has the money to go solo on the $50,000 system if no one joins the venture, city officials said

Brine, in addition to pickling, can be used to pre-treat roads, melting snow as it falls. It also can be mixed with rock salt to cut through frost faster.

The brine stretches pricey salt and can keep roads clear long enough that teams don't have to lay salt on overtime pay, said Tom Nutini, highway superintendent for the Franklin County engineer's office.

How more easier can it be for Seattle?? At least for Central Seattle??

Now tell me... They pump/pipe the brackish/salt water that would invade Lake Washington back to the sound... How bad would it be for Seattle to take some of that and coat the roads with it? It will end up in the sea anyway... Now maybe uphill/upstream from freshwater Lake Washington might be another story... But, they can be sensitive in those areas towards the east that drain into the Lake. The thing would be pollution? It can't be that bad, the hippies have been straightening that out... :angry::lol: And again, it is gonna be in the sea anyway... They can again make the brine richer or leaner as needed.

Again... Saying it will harm the salmon is BS:

In 1975, the saltwater drain was modified to divert some salt water from the basin to the fish ladder, where it is added via a diffuser to the fish ladder attraction water; see below.

??