Jerry Sullivan=Rob Parker?

Wow, I didn't see that he resigned. Seems a bit over the top for what was probably just a temporary lapse in judgement, but perhaps this will make more people think twice before saying moronic things and maybe act a little more professionally in their jobs.

Just a thought.... Has provocative reporting trumped good reporting? The guy is interesting to read, but is he anything more than a fire starter?

Nah. Sullivan is great. He's creative, witty and always backs up his opinions. I love reading every single piece he writes.

I just heard his reply to Parker's half a**ed apology on Sirius as I was driving home. Good for you, Rod. The guy insulted your daughter, whether he intended to or not. All just to make some idiotic comment.

Maybe he should be posting here. Lots of the same 'round these here parts.

See, that is part of the problem...did the guy really insult Marinellis' daughter?

I don't think he did...he was, perhaps, bringing up nepotism that was costing the team. Would it have been better if he had just phrased his question as "Would you fire the defensive coordinator, if he wasn't your son in-law?" I think it was a legit question....Marinelli, by that point of the season, knew he was a goner...if you watched his press conferences on ESPN News on Mondays, Marinelli was a mench, just sitting there, making the same Jauron-esque comments about "we have to do a better job of preparing our football players to win"..."our players have heart and desire"...yadda yadda...I thouhgt Parkers' question was funny, and added some levity to the death watch sessions that Marinellis' PC's had become. I honestly think, if I was Marinelli, I would have chuckled too...talk about PC gone wild...

As for Sully, I don't always agree with him, but I think he just says what most of want to say, before we are ready to say it, when it comes to our sports teams. Sully has thrown plenty of bouqets when things are going well...he isn't the reason that both of our pro teams are circling the drain...and for the 100th time, he is a columnist, paid to write editorials (ie opinion pieces) not a reporter, paid to recap games for us...the Buffalo News has others for that....honestly, as negeative as he is percieved to be, could you imagine what goes on at 1 Bills Drive flying in a bigger sports town?

Nope. Still a lot of quality writing out there; you just have to know where to find it.

And Sullivan = Parker? Not. Even. Close. Sully's got a long way to go to be suspended from his column.

"The Wayne Fontes Experience"? That's awesome!

Sully's biggest problem, IMO, is that he neither understands, nor respects, football. That's a pretty sad combo for a columnist in a football town, like Buffalo.

"The Wayne Fontes Experience"? That's awesome!

Sully's biggest problem, IMO, is that he neither understands, nor respects, football. That's a pretty sad combo for a columnist in a football town, like Buffalo.

He neither understands, nor respects, football?

Is that because he didn't play the game? I hope you're not another one of those guys.

It's not difficult to understand football, so please explain why you think he doesn't get it?

While kind of tacky, I thought the comment about the defensive coordinator was kind of funny. I thought it had everything to do with the terrible defense and little or nothing to do with the daughter. Obviously, other people feel differently. But hey, Now everyone is out of a job.

He neither understands, nor respects, football?

Is that because he didn't play the game? I hope you're not another one of those guys.

It's not difficult to understand football, so please explain why you think he doesn't get it?

It has nothing to do with the fact that he didn't play...I am not one of those guys.

It is no secret that Sullivan is an NBA guy...that's his true sports love and "specialty", as it were. He covered the NBA for New York City Newsday. IMO, it was clear, early on, that he had no use for the NFL and/or the Bills. I wish I could link you to specific articles. But, even in the team's salad days, he was hyper-critical of a very good Bills team. That's fine, if the criticism made sense. Often it didn't. Early on it seemed clear that Sully didn't understand that football wasn't analogous to basketball, and that sometimes (often?) a players performance is directly related to the performance of his teammates, that coaching in the NFL is specialized by unit, etc.

Now, I don't recall Jerry making any direct attacks on the NFL, but I always got the impression that he was not a fan of the league, and the sport, in general. Now, there are worse columnists, take for example TJ Simers of the LA Times. He was (maybe still is) the head football guy for the paper and explicitly made it known that he didn't like the NFL. That's a smart move by the paper...no?

I'm sure some old timers can chip-in and help fill with info, and details, I have forgotten.

Now, I'm sure Jerry has learned a little about the NFL in his 20 years at the Snooze, and doesn't make the obvious blunders he did when he first started there. And, because the Bills have been so poor, for so long, his attacks seem more on-point than they used to. But, while I rarely read his column anymore, I usually can find at least one "he doesn't get it" spot, in anything he writes.

Now, I'm sure Jerry has learned a little about the NFL in his 20 years at the Snooze, and doesn't make the obvious blunders he did when he first started there. And, because the Bills have been so poor, for so long, his attacks seem more on-point than they used to. But, while I rarely read his column anymore, I usually can find at least one "he doesn't get it" spot, in anything he writes.

Fair enough. You're a guy whose viewpoint I often agree with and I was just caught off guard with the statement that he doesn't understand/respect football. I was hoping you weren't one of those guys who insist that you have to play the game in order to have an opinion on it.

I can't speak to his columns from back in the day because I don't remember any of them but I agree with most of his stuff now. As you said, the Bills have been so poor, for so long, his points (I wouldn't call them attacks) are easy to agree with.

I remember a few of his radio appearances with Schopp and the Bulldog, and he made his allegiance to the NBA pretty clear.