Jauron Should Stay

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Baltimore, Miami, and Atlanta prove that 'blowing things up' isn't the horrible idea that everyone makes it out to be.

The team has talent, enough to beat SF, Cleveland, and the Jets, unfortunately they were badly outcoached. Winning those 3 games would put the Bills into the playoffs. You can't overlook that in making the decision on a coach, especially one with extensive experience in the NFL.

Jauron is just not an NFL-caliber coach.

Someone said that Jauron just hasn't learned from his mistakes....you'd think a Yale guy would be doing this.

To me, blowing things up is what Donahoe & Gregg Williams did. They got rid of some veterans and re-vamped the roster with youngsters and brought in an entirely new coaching staff. I don't think this is necessary.

I'm concerned going into next season with Jauron, despite what the players say about him. He's been doing the same thing over & over again and hasn't improved the team...which one would expect him to do in his 3rd year. I think it's time to move on, but I also don't think a complete roster overhaul is necessary.

The fact is Jauron does not manage games well at all.

Period.

Proof again came today when the Denver WR bobbled the pass on the sideline in the 4th quarter, RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE BILLS BENCH -- every player said he bobbled it. The F'ing WR said he bobbled it and was signaling to hurry the play. And Juaron stood there WAITING FOR SOMEONE ELSE TO TELL HIM WHAT TO DO.

F' That. Throw the red flag.

It's a little thing. But he missed it. And he does lots of those little things very poorly.

I go back and forth on this. On the one hand, I'm not crazy about the uncertainty that comes with a leadership change, especially if Ralph brings in another cheap alternative. Then you've got two or three years of excuses about needing time for the new system to work, blah, blah, blah. Groundhog Day again.

On the other hand, I just don't think Jauron is the type of coach this young team needs. He doesn't appear to be inspirational or motivational. Not rah-rah, but someone who can get these young guys focused and show them how to bounce back from a loss. Or to light a fire under undermotivated players.

I'd like to believe the players like to play for him because they respect him and will run through walls for him, and not that they like his "players coach" style.

We all know where nice guys finish...

RW signed an extension with him and history shows that RW will not throw money around trying to buy Jauron out now. We have at least one more year of him. Maybe a new OC and offensive coaches but otherwise no changes.

Lynch was hurt. Jackson just caught a pass for a long gain and was gassed.

Who else do you want to run the ball? McIntyre???? We drafted the kid, why not give him a chance?

I don't get Bills fans. If we had passed either down, I guarantee you plenty of people would've said "HOW COME WE DIDN'T SMASH THE BALL DOWN THEIR THROATS AND RUN THE BALL 3 TIMES!"

I think that's the point that many of us are trying to make regarding this coaching staff. They seem to do the safe/conservative thing when you should use a bit of creativity, and do the opposite when the obvious thing should be done. They seem to have a terrible sense of when to mix it up and get creative (as well as when to challenge, when to go for it on 4th, etc) That red zone series would have been the time to try a "safe" bootleg pass. Not on your own 20 yardline when there's 2 min left, you're winning, and have a 2nd and 5.

Look I agree.........I cant argue anything with you. But if he did sign the extension what else can we do? We have no choice other then "try" to support him......

I agree that we're pretty helpless here, but supporting him isn't going to make him a better coach. If he was going to become a better coach, it would have happened by now.

We can debate whether Ralph 'should' bring him back, and I don't think he should. But Ralph has shown that the team's record is secondary to his pocket book and ego, so I agree that Jauron probably will be back, and that there is nothing we can do about it.

Your #1 in your argument is inherantly flawed. Coaches don't make it 5 years UNLESS they win. The worst part about our coaches & playcalling is that other teams seem to be able to accurately predict what we do depending on the formaiton and down/distance. The announcers made an interesting point relating to that today. They were talking about their conversation with Cutler yesterday and how he told them they would have 2 plays called on every offensive down and that they would pick the "right" one because Denver would know what we were doing defensively. Call me crazy but that reeks of second rate coaching.

I agree on your point about coaches not making it past 5 years unless they win. I'm sure that skews the stats of who is still in the coaching seat, and their respective records. BUT, at the same time, Jauron has not made it to 5 years yet. If the Bills improve and make the playoffs next year, does Jauron get a pass for the previous 3 losing seasons?

Someone said that Jauron just hasn't learned from his mistakes....you'd think a Yale guy would be doing this.

To me, blowing things up is what Donahoe & Gregg Williams did. They got rid of some veterans and re-vamped the roster with youngsters and brought in an entirely new coaching staff. I don't think this is necessary.

I'm concerned going into next season with Jauron, despite what the players say about him. He's been doing the same thing over & over again and hasn't improved the team...which one would expect him to do in his 3rd year. I think it's time to move on, but I also don't think a complete roster overhaul is necessary.

No doubt they have some talent. They should take the Ravens approach. Add some players and adjust the schemes.

Poz and Whitner would look a hell of a lot better if they trashed that cover-2 scheme.

RW signed an extension with him and history shows that RW will not throw money around trying to buy Jauron out now. We have at least one more year of him. Maybe a new OC and offensive coaches but otherwise no changes.

Is there any chance that the current coaches can alter their philosophies/schemes next year to make a difference? I'm getting sick of the Tampa 2 scheme. Or maybe it's just the way we play it.

Here's the chicken and egg question:

With more talent could Jauron get us to the playoffs and be a succesful team?

With a better coach would we already be at the playoffs and be a succesful team.

Where does Jauron fit with all the other coaches, is he just new and as a result as time goes on he will become better, is our talent below average and he is doing a good job, or do we have the talent and it comes down to coaching.

Obviously with better talent it would be easier for Jauron to win, and with a better coach we would win more games. At this point I trust more coaches than I trust Jauron, but on the other hand there is no objective means to compare what any other coach could do with this team at this point because we have Jauron. I think we need a coach who is a better strategist and motivator, I also think we need improvement in blocking schemes, receiving ability (TE especially), pass rush, and awareness on the field.

Honestly I don't know how much of this is Jauron's fault, but seeing teams able to go 4-12 one year and become a playoff contender the next I have to assume that if Jauron was a better coach we could easily be in the playoffs this year and think that we should try to get a more established coach.

With a better coach would we already be at the playoffs and be a succesful team.

Where does Jauron fit with all the other coaches, is he just new and as a result as time goes on he will become better, is our talent below average and he is doing a good job, or do we have the talent and it comes down to coaching.

Obviously with better talent it would be easier for Jauron to win, and with a better coach we would win more games. At this point I trust more coaches than I trust Jauron, but on the other hand there is no objective means to compare what any other coach could do with this team at this point because we have Jauron. I think we need a coach who is a better strategist and motivator, I also think we need improvement in blocking schemes, receiving ability (TE especially), pass rush, and awareness on the field.

Honestly I don't know how much of this is Jauron's fault, but seeing teams able to go 4-12 one year and become a playoff contender the next I have to assume that if Jauron was a better coach we could easily be in the playoffs this year and think that we should try to get a more established coach.

I have a feeling that playing for Jauron is like working for a boss who's a great guy, that you really like working for, because they're never hard on you and push you to become your best. They assume that you're trying your best, and as long as you "are", well, that's all they can ask. Great leaders push you beyond what you think you're capable of. Even if you're making 2-3x what they are. He may be a really smart guy, but sometimes I think he outsmarts himself. "They'll NEVER expect us to rollout and throw to the FB..."

Lots of intelligence but not a ton of common sense.

OK everyone,

1. Tenured coaches tend to perform better....name one coach that has been with a team for more than 5 years that has a losing record with that team. I think the continuity goes a long way. I can only think of winning coaches.

I hate this argument, you dont keep a bad head coach simply because you dont want to change, thats just stupid. Coaches who have been with their team more then 5 years have had success, thats why they are still there. Is that really that friggin hard to understand?

Jauron has had one winning season in 8 as head coach, ONE! He hasnt shown anything to make anyone think that will change. They can beat bad teams, thats it. The Bills had the easiest schedule they've had in years and at best he finishes 8-8 but will most likely finish 7-9, AGAIN!

Bringing in a new coaching staff doesnt always mean another 3 years of rebuilding, just look at Atlanta and Miami. The key is to bring in a good coaching staff

The team's record has not improved in 3 seasons.

I'm more interested in Edwards claim that he was not prepared for the Brown's defense than his praise of how nice a guy Jauron is.

There's no excuse for that, Jauron needs to go.

Bill Parcells has said that you are what your record says you are. If 7-9 is a mediocre record, DJ is a mediocre coach. It's black and white, but there's no question DJ is not the guy who can lead you to the SB.

Three seasons of not making the playoffs is mediocre. And the Bills can affirm mediocrity by bringing DJ back as HC, contract or not.

Season ticket sales will plummet, so this time around there will be a price to pay for keeping a mediocre HC.

I hate this argument, you dont keep a bad head coach simply because you dont want to change, thats just stupid. Coaches who have been with their team more then 5 years have had success, thats why they are still there. Is that really that friggin hard to understand

Also if a coach does well they'll continue to have a coaching job until they either become a tenured coach or stop experiencing success.

To all you Dick supporters out there....

I say wait until the next game is over before you make anymore posts about keeping this head coach. If the Patriots beat the Bills it will mean that they were swept in the division this year with one of the easiest schedules in the NFL and Tom Brady out all year.

I agree with you. Baltimore and Atlanta are going to the playoffs with rookie QBs, and both are coming off of worse records than the Bills last season. The new, rookie coaches were able to change the direction of the franchise.

Miami brought in a rubber-armed QB and have gone from the second worst record in the history of the league to challenging for the divsion.

This isn't rocket science, and after watching football for many years I think we can figure out when a coach is calling a good game or bad game.

The fact that the Bills did not play bump and run against Ted Ginn is inconceivable, especially since there was extensive tape on DBs being able to push this guy 15 yards off his route every game.

The fact that the offensive coaches couldn't scheme against a max cover defense, costing the Bills the games against the Dolphins, Browns, and 49ers is unbelievable.

The short yardage playcalling in the 2nd half of the season has shown a coaching staff that was choosing to try to trick the opposing defense rather than playing the percentages.

After 2 years and 15 games, the offense still does not have an identity under Jauron. Is the talent that bad? Of course not. They have one of the biggest O-lines in the league. They have two RBs with the best yards-after-contact ability in the league. They have two burners at WR.

So what should their identity be? Again, this isn't rocket science. They should be a running team that builds its passing game off of play action. They should be the AFC version of the Panthers.

But we don't see that. We see empty set, shotgun formations on 2nd and 3rd and short. Opposing defense face dozens of plays were they don't have to worry about Lynch and Jackson, the Bills two best offensive players.

I've seen what Jauron has to offer, and it's not good enough for the talent on this team.

It's like that cliche:

What's the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.

spot on!

According to George Carlin they finish 3rd out of a sample size of 6. Now short guys on the other hand.....

HAHAHA I mis George

I agree that we're pretty helpless here, but supporting him isn't going to make him a better coach. If he was going to become a better coach, it would have happened by now.

We can debate whether Ralph 'should' bring him back, and I don't think he should. But Ralph has shown that the team's record is secondary to his pocket book and ego, so I agree that Jauron probably will be back, and that there is nothing we can do about it.

Dick makes too many "coaching" mistakes, during games and evaulating talent, why are we only seeing S.Johnson now? why did we see F.Jackson after injuries? Why doesn't he see what is easy to see in preseason (these guys are good maybe better than our starters)? I want to D. Bell at this point, another one who had a good preseason.

I think if I am RW I, move him up to VP of player personnel and have Bobby coach the team. Replace a scout or two, and our QB coach, get agressive in FA (and keep our best CB and 1/2 punch running back) this year and beefup the ends of the D-line (Peppers all the way), center position and admit the mistake you made with Crowell (God........ Poz misses him in there SO much) and bring him back. Also resign Peters! I actually want another TE but give D. Fine the starting job going into the year next season if we can't get a good FA one. These are changes I make if I am RW and want to fix things on the cheap (and think Dick needs to stay on the payroll because of my resigning blunder).

Is there any chance that the current coaches can alter their philosophies/schemes next year to make a difference? I'm getting sick of the Tampa 2 scheme. Or maybe it's just the way we play it.

AMEN, I like our D coach but prevent D, really can prevent you from winning. When will this lesson soak in? Tampa D is just a prevent scheme that really needs the right personnel to work. After 3 years and dozens of injuries we don't need it. We need some big guys, who knock heads. Not little fast guys who get hurt. I could see us using a 4/3 non zone for our secondary, but LB play and DE play really sucks on this team and we totally lack depth still, WTF?

OK everyone,

I know this won't be a popular idea, but I want to make the case for Dickie Jauron to stay. I know, I know. I've seen the "Ugly Truth" link, and the "Dick-o-meter." I've also been flaberghasted with some of the absolutely boneheaded calls/moves the Jauron has made (wasted timeouts, playcalls, etc...). Despite this, I think keeping him is probably the best option for the following reasons.

1. Tenured coaches tend to perform better....name one coach that has been with a team for more than 5 years that has a losing record with that team. I think the continuity goes a long way. I can only think of winning coaches.

2. Some of our offensive woes can and should be attributed to a rookie offensive coordinator. Turk Schonert is growing up, just like our rookie players and should be better next year.

3. There were flashes of a very good team. Unfortunately, they are still one of the youngest teams and still inconsistent. This is always the coaches fault. The team should only get better.

4. Trent Edwards is still only finishing his first full season as a starter. He has had a lot to do with the failures of the team. A little more consistency from him and a few others and the team could be headed to the playoffs.

5. Some of Jauron's mistakes/calls can be a doubledged sword. The runs up the middle at the end of the Cleveland game, the deferment to the second half, and the JP interception in the endzone....all plays questioned, but the alternaitives could have failed too.

5. Lastly, do we really want another 2-3 years of rebuilding and installation of a new offensive and defensive system?

You make some good points and I think the offense can be more consistent as long as Turk realizes that we need to run the ball on a consistent basis.

The Defense must become more physical and more aggressive IMO for the Bills to compete for the division.