2008-9 Niagara University Basketball Thread

EndZoneCrew

Take it easy....I for one would actually root for any "hometown" team to win the MAAC tournament...but by the sounds of it, you represent the typical Canisius fan....sour grapes....and FWIW you can hear crickets chirping in the Koessler Center, so I like the Purple Eagles chances there.

Let's hope you are right - go Purple Eagles !!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Niagara men's basketball team (19-6, 10-3) matched last season's win total with a complete team effort on Sunday with a 75-50 win over Fairfield (15-10, 8-6). Niagara travels to cross-town rival Canisius on Thursday, Feb. 12 for a 7:30 p.m. tip. (THIS WILL BE SHOWN ON ESPNU)

The Niagara men's basketball team (19-6, 10-3) matched last season's win total with a complete team effort on Sunday with a 75-50 win over Fairfield (15-10, 8-6). Niagara travels to cross-town rival Canisius on Thursday, Feb. 12 for a 7:30 p.m. tip. (THIS WILL BE SHOWN ON ESPNU)

I would like to see Niagara make the tourney. But the facts are that the odds are stacked against them. Siena is loaded this year, I think they returned just about everybody from last years team that beat Vanderbilt in the 1st round. Plus the tourney os @ the Pepsi Center.

Funny you mention you could hear crickets at the Koesler Center. Friday got home from work & turned on the Canisius/Fairfield game at the KC. It was on ESPNU. My wife was like, is there even anybody at the game? She said it was so quiet.

Funny you mention you could hear crickets at the Koesler Center. Friday got home from work & turned on the Canisius/Fairfield game at the KC. It was on ESPNU. My wife was like, is there even anybody at the game? She said it was so quiet.

See....I was only stating a fact... :blink:

In addition to the Canisius game...Niagara will play at Fairfield (Fairfield, Conn.) on ESPN2 @ 9:00 PM. Niagara's BracketBuster contest against Illinois State will air Friday, Feb. 20 at 7 p.m. on ESPN2. The contest between the Purple Eagles (19-6) and Redbirds (19-5) is one of five games to air on ESPN2. So all of the non-local fans out there...tune in and root for the Eagles, hopefully we can get some good national exposure!

The Niagara men's basketball team (20-6, 11-3) used one of its best defensive games of the season to earn its 20th win on Thursday. The Purple Eagles held cross-town rival Canisius to 41 points on 24.5 percent shooting in the 57-41 road victory.

The Niagara men's basketball team (20-6, 11-3) used one of its best defensive games of the season to earn its 20th win on Thursday. The Purple Eagles held cross-town rival Canisius to 41 points on 24.5 percent shooting in the 57-41 road victory.

Took the little guy to the game last night. I must say Canisius basketball is in a bad state right now. I always viewed Canisius & Niagara as similar schools when it came to sports, both sharing the same advantages/disadvantages when it comes to basketball. Niagara really found a diamond in the rough in Mihalich. What is even more amazing is how he has stayed at the school for so long. Canisius had a good coach in Beilein. He left after 4yrs I think. I am really surpirse Joe has not done the same thing. It is a credit to Niagara for keeping him so long. He is a good coach.

Took the little guy to the game last night. I must say Canisius basketball is in a bad state right now. I always viewed Canisius & Niagara as similar schools when it came to sports, both sharing the same advantages/disadvantages when it comes to basketball. Niagara really found a diamond in the rough in Mihalich. What is even more amazing is how he has stayed at the school for so long. Canisius had a good coach in Beilein. He left after 4yrs I think. I am really surpirse Joe has not done the same thing. It is a credit to Niagara for keeping him so long. He is a good coach.

Good for the birds .. Nice to hear NU is competitive ... I really thought they would drop back to div II or even III some time ago. Hard for small schoos to keep up the budget necessary for sports programs.

Mihalich is really a rare breed in today's sports world. He actually used to come out to the baseball field and watch us play (sometimes both ends of a doubleheader) because we were some of his most die hard basketball fans at the Gallagher Center. He is very genuine and just a great guy. If he wanted to leave, he would have left Monteagle Ridge a few years ago, so here's to him staying another couple of decades!

• 2 weeks later...

I know I haven't updated this in a little while, but in case you missed it, Niagara Bounced Illinois State 70-56 on Friday night. Playing in front of a sold-out Gallagher Center crowd and a national television audience on ESPN2, the Niagara men's basketball team (22-7) used a solid defensive performance and an early scoring spurt to defeat a 22-6 Illinois State team. "What a terrific night for Niagara University," Niagara head coach Joe Mihalich said. "The atmosphere in the Gallagher Center was a good as it's been since I've been here. It was very cool to see the GC bouncing like that. I hope that people realize that we have a pretty good Mid-Major program here in WNY! Big game vs Siena on Friday......this will be at the GC and on ESPNU. See you there!

I know I haven't updated this in a little while, but in case you missed it, Niagara Bounced Illinois State 70-56 on Friday night. Playing in front of a sold-out Gallagher Center crowd and a national television audience on ESPN2, the Niagara men's basketball team (22-7) used a solid defensive performance and an early scoring spurt to defeat a 22-6 Illinois State team. "What a terrific night for Niagara University," Niagara head coach Joe Mihalich said. "The atmosphere in the Gallagher Center was a good as it's been since I've been here. It was very cool to see the GC bouncing like that. I hope that people realize that we have a pretty good Mid-Major program here in WNY! Big game vs Siena on Friday......this will be at the GC and on ESPNU. See you there!

Are you dusting off the Purple wig?

Thanks for the update. Nice to see that NU has the program on the right track.

Siena @ Niagara TONIGHT 7 pm on ESPNU.....For the second-straight Friday, Niagara will play host to a 22-win team on national television. The 22-7 Purple Eagles welcome the 22-6 Siena Saints into the legendary ‘Taps’ Gallagher Center

The Niagara mens basketball team celebrated Senior Day in style with a 80-72 victory over Marist on Sunday. The victory gives the Purple Eagles a 24-7 overall record, the best regular season mark in 60 years, and a 14-4 conference mark, the best in school history.....Next up, the MAAC tournament!