Do Nothing for one more year, then hire Holmgren

VJ91

What's 10 straight years without playoffs when you've already made 9 straight?? If Wilson and Brandon were smart, they would call Mike Holmgren at 4:15 PM a week from today, on his cell phone as he's taking his final plane ride home back to Seattle, and offer him a contract to take over as President and GM of the Bills exactly one year from then.

Nobody can keep contracts quiet better then the Bills, and Holmgren can accept verbally, then to go off and ride his hog and play with the kids for the next 12 months. Whatever happens with the Bills in 2009, it will be nothing more then a lame duck season, and when Holmgren comes in after its' over, he could hire his own coaches and scouts as he begins his career off the sidelines, just like Parcells is doing in Miami.

He's going to the 49er's.

Really? I'll remember you posted this when he becomes President and GM of some other team, if he even comes out of retirement at all. I read that his wife Kathy is really in favor of him staying out of football completely, and he really loves that motorcycle of his. The 49ers is the easy prediction, almost as easy as saying it will be the Packers, or even the Seahawks with a year or two off.

At the very least, the Bills should make this guy an offer, now or when he gets the work out he's ready.

Really? I'll remember you posted this when he becomes President and GM of some other team, if he even comes out of retirement at all. I read that his wife Kathy is really in favor of him staying out of football completely, and he really loves that motorcycle of his. The 49ers is the easy prediction, almost as easy as saying it will be the Packers, or even the Seahawks with a year or two off.

At the very least, the Bills should make this guy an offer, now or when he gets the work out he's ready.

It's 99% wishful thinking by 49ers fans, I'd say.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3658248

Please remember this . It is so important to me!! I just made a comment and prediction. Is that not allowed here? Compared to some of the other stuff here, it is pretty mild but thanks for taking time to respond.

Reports are out there that he really doesn't want to retire. The hawks told him he had to, during the season when he tried to renig on the retifement deal. He would be good in Buffalo, but if I was ready to take my last job I would head out west and enjoy the sun.

Reports are out there that he really doesn't want to retire. The hawks told him he had to, during the season when he tried to renig on the retifement deal. He would be good in Buffalo, but if I was ready to take my last job I would head out west and enjoy the sun.

I don't think he wants to go out this way, no. Who would?!? But, it is a leap to go from that and promises made to his family to think that he wants to immediately dive into taking over a sad sack franchise like the 49ers or Bills.

I'd have a hard time seeing him just retire after this season. This is setting up to be identical to the Parcells situation...leave coaching for a year, then come back as the front office man.

Ideally, this is what we need to do....hire a football guy to be GM (doubt Holmgren would be President with Russ Brandon around) and let him bring in his guys to run the show. I'd love to see this happen...Holmgren's influence would be perfect for this team...but it's a pipe dream right now.

Ok, so if he's not likely to come out of retirement for a team he started with, what makes you confident that Ralph calling him will give the Bills a chance at getting him?

Ok, so if he's not likely to come out of retirement for a team he started with, what makes you confident that Ralph calling him will give the Bills a chance at getting him?

I have no idea what Holmgren is likely to do or not do. If it is so likely for these coaches to end up back where they started, then why isn't Parcells president of the Giants right now? Why didn't Matt Millen go to work for Al Davis? (Now that would have been a match made in heaven, eh?) Why didn't Dick Vermiel become GM for Philadelphia after he retired as coach of the Rams?

Sure it's a pipe dream that Wilson would set aside his own ego and hire such a strong personality that actually yells at somebody when he's pissed off like Polian used to do. to run the whole show. But I was just sayin....wouldn't that be terrific? :thumbsup:

Please remember this . It is so important to me!! I just made a comment and prediction. Is that not allowed here? Compared to some of the other stuff here, it is pretty mild but thanks for taking time to respond.

No you made a definitive statement. "He's going to the 49ers." That was your entire post, right? When you think about it, after I put some thought and a little humor into my post, your one-line statement in reply is really kind of insulting to me, isn't it?

In any case, I did not mean to insult you, and I know it's a fantasy to think Wilson would reach out to Holmgren anyway, but at this point, nobody knows where Mike Holmgren is going to end up.........not even the 49ers.

What's 10 straight years without playoffs when you've already made 9 straight?? If Wilson and Brandon were smart, they would call Mike Holmgren at 4:15 PM a week from today, on his cell phone as he's taking his final plane ride home back to Seattle, and offer him a contract to take over as President and GM of the Bills exactly one year from then.

Nobody can keep contracts quiet better then the Bills, and Holmgren can accept verbally, then to go off and ride his hog and play with the kids for the next 12 months. Whatever happens with the Bills in 2009, it will be nothing more then a lame duck season, and when Holmgren comes in after its' over, he could hire his own coaches and scouts as he begins his career off the sidelines, just like Parcells is doing in Miami.

lets' get something straight: we will NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER get a "name" coach (holmgren or otherwise) to come here, because none of them would want to put up with ralph's incompetent meddling smallballing bullschidt. and even if one of them WOULD be WILLING to commit career suicide, ralph would never ever pay him what he's worth.

so let it go RIGHT NOW, because it's not going to happen.

the bills are a perfect metaphor for the old adage: "life sucks and then you die."

No you made a definitive statement. "He's going to the 49ers." That was your entire post, right? When you think about it, after I put some thought and a little humor into my post, your one-line statement in reply is really kind of insulting to me, isn't it?

In any case, I did not mean to insult you, and I know it's a fantasy to think Wilson would reach out to Holmgren anyway, but at this point, nobody knows where Mike Holmgren is going to end up.........not even the 49ers.

I don't ever mean to insult anyone here. If I did, I apologize. Anyway, Holmgren has not proven he can be both GM and coach. I don't think he would come here. He would probably get many offers if he does not retire.

holmgren is a good coach and lousy personnal guy