Franken about to take lead...

He was mostly a WRITER and not an actor, and if you knew that then your comment doesn't make too much sense. Some of the best SNL material was when he was writing for the show...

Well, I guess I saw enough of him not to really care. SNL has been inconsistently funny at best. In fact, it's been unfunny enough over the years for me not to pay attention any more. He probably was writing for one of the many down periods.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, but it needs to be a national standard at this point, not one set by the states. But that is where the rub is. This is set by the States as written in the Constitution in Section 4 of Article 1. Unless there were to be an amendment to it, this kind of chicanery is likely to continue.

Split the difference. A federal standard that mandates a strict definition for a valid 'vote' that must be defined before the election takes place, and may not be changed until the election is complete; and a strictly defined process for resolving elections where the result is unable to be determined (e.g. a statistical dead heat). But leave the actual definition up to the states. Thus, the federal law protects the intent of the voter while recognizing the responsibility of the voter to cast their vote in a properly understandable fashion, while simulatneously recognizing the states' Constitutional rights and the fact that we live in a democratic republic.

Well, I guess I saw enough of him not to really care. SNL has been inconsistently funny at best. In fact, it's been unfunny enough over the years for me not to pay attention any more. He probably was writing for one of the many down periods.

Franken was one of the original writers for Saturday Night Live.

Franken was one of the original writers for Saturday Night Live.

You mean the era that had Chevy Chase fall down all the time while doing the news? The crap that is laughably bad now because it is so dated? I guess I should bow down and blow the dude that was responsible for that genius.

Well then, if you are going to rant about something, at least don't say you're going to never 'pay to see him' when he's not an actor really- his small bits in Trading Places and certain other movies are not his claim to fame. I mean, if you are going to dislike a person, then stick to the personality- if you are going to bring up his body of work and mischaracterize it, then I'm going to say something. I intensely dislike Rosie O Donnell for her personality, and her body of work to me is lousy, but I'm not going to call her something she really isn't.

Well then, if you are going to rant about something, at least don't say you're going to never 'pay to see him' when he's not an actor really- his small bits in Trading Places and certain other movies are not his claim to fame. I mean, if you are going to dislike a person, then stick to the personality- if you are going to bring up his body of work and mischaracterize it, then I'm going to say something. I intensely dislike Rosie O Donnell for her personality, and her body of work to me is lousy, but I'm not going to call her something she really isn't.

Sorry, I figured he was a stand up comic, like most of those guys. Probably should have said " I can't believe anyone pays (or paid) this guy to make others laugh." Better?

Sorry, I figured he was a stand up comic, like most of those guys. Probably should have said " I can't believe anyone pays (or paid) this guy to make others laugh." Better?

He wouldn't have been paid to make people laugh for long if he didn't accomplish just that. SNL was cutting edge for the time when it started and he was one of the writers. Obviously jokes about Gerald Ford and Paul Tsongas are not going to seem funny today.

He wouldn't have been paid to make people laugh for long if he didn't accomplish just that. SNL was cutting edge for the time when it started and he was one of the writers. Obviously jokes about Gerald Ford and Paul Tsongas are not going to seem funny today.

But, Rush Limbaugh is STILL a big, fat idiot!

One has to wonder they why you'd speak out against someone when you obviously know nothing about him.

You mean the era that had Chevy Chase fall down all the time while doing the news? The crap that is laughably bad now because it is so dated? I guess I should bow down and blow the dude that was responsible for that genius.

Franken was also around during the Farley/Sandler/Hartman era which was my favorite era of SNL.

I think every vote should be counted. Especially in an election this close. I have no problem with what's going on.
And that is the whole thing, counting all votes, something a toolbox like talking point Tom will never grasp. Besides Coleman is a twat who fell in lockstep w/Bush and the neocons. He deserves to go.

And that is the whole thing, counting all votes, something a toolbox like talking point Tom will never grasp. Besides Coleman is a twat who fell in lockstep w/Bush and the neocons. He deserves to go.

I don't give a crap about anyone's politics it's just when a race comes down to a few hundred votes this kind of minutia is needed IMO.

I hope so. Just now on Live CNN. The commentator did say if Dracula shows up on a ballot, it should be awarded to Coleman.

:rolleyes:

So the "intent of a voter" who writes in "Frankenstein" is clearly to vote for Al Franken?

This is why the primacy of "the intent of the voter" is absolute bull sh--. It ends up being the intent of the person reading the ballot.