Peyton Hillis vs. Brian Leonard

RLflutie7

Denver's Peyton Hillis is everything people said Brian Leonard would be and I think he's a little better than Leonard. Granted Leonard got hurt and was put on IR but Hillis came on like gang busters.

And it's not really a surprise if you look at the draft publications that came out on Hillis. All had him high rated as a fullback.

He had a great day against the Jets this year and they have a great run defense. He's a great north south runner.

Denver's Peyton Hillis is everything people said Brian Leonard would be and I think he's a little better than Leonard. Granted Leonard got hurt and was put on IR but Hillis came on like gang busters.

And it's not really a surprise if you look at the draft publications that came out on Hillis. All had him high rated as a fullback.

He had a great day against the Jets this year and they have a great run defense. He's a great north south runner.

Why is it that white players are only compared to white players and black players are only compared to black players?

Why is it that white players are only compared to white players and black players are only compared to black players?

I knew someone would catch this.

Because it's rare to see white players playing running back and I think there are a lot of white guys that could play RB . . . but coaches think it's a black players position.

I don't miss comparing white or black.

I thought Wayne Chrebet was better than MeShawn Johnson with the Jets and they were both possession receivers.

Have you noticed how the black guys on NFL network never blame the black guy. Coaches, QBs etc. etc.

I knew someone would catch this.

Because it's rare to see white players playing running back and I think there are a lot of white guys that could play RB . . . but coaches think it's a black players position.

I don't miss comparing white or black.

I thought Wayne Chrebet was better than MeShawn Johnson with the Jets and they were both possession receivers.

Have you noticed how the black guys on NFL network never blame the black guy. Coaches, QBs etc. etc.

I've wondered about this myself. After all, I doubt there's something different about a black man's physique that makes him more suited for running back than a white person. Personally, I think you can take it back to the high school level. Take two players, one white and one black, with the exact same skill sets. The black player is turned into a running back. The white player is turned into a safety, or told to pack on a few pounds and become a fullback or tight end. I don't know where this comes from, but it's the best explanation I can come up with.

It seems as if the only way a white player can become a starting RB is to hang back at FB and wait for guys to get injured. Sam McGuffie, a freshman RB from Michigan, might be the next legitimate white speed rusher.

I've wondered about this myself. After all, I doubt there's something different about a black man's physique that makes him more suited for running back than a white person. Personally, I think you can take it back to the high school level. Take two players, one white and one black, with the exact same skill sets. The black player is turned into a running back. The white player is turned into a safety, or told to pack on a few pounds and become a fullback or tight end. I don't know where this comes from, but it's the best explanation I can come up with.

It seems as if the only way a white player can become a starting RB is to hang back at FB and wait for guys to get injured. Sam McGuffie, a freshman RB from Michigan, might be the next legitimate white speed rusher.

Your thoughts mirror my thoughts. Most guys that could play running back in the NFL that are white end up playing fullback or tight end. They also get moved to linebacker.

I was wondering who that guy was that played for Michigan. I didn't know his name.

When I was at Michigan State they had a guy named Blake Ezor that was quicker than a cat. I think he lasted one year in the NFL with the Broncos. He was little, so they didn't want him as far as I could see.

I think the biggest thing the NFL is looking for is break away speed. And most white guys lack that.

But how good is that when a player can't find holes?

Too many running backs can't find holes.

Earnest Graham of Tampa Bay has an uncanny ability to find open holes. He may lack ideal speed but he's Tampa's best running back.

I watched him get switched to fullback this year and it was great watching their other backs follow him to the open holes.

As a second string tailback i totaled more yards than the starter (which by the way was black) on half as many carries. Instead of moving me up the depth chart they asked me to switch to saftey. Then a year later, i ended my semi pro stint as an outside linebacker. I never quite thought about it until i saw this post but it does make sense....Im not a racist person by any means. But it does perk my couriosity as to why they would profile certain people to certain positions.

For years, of course, black players were coached away from being QBs. Thankfully, that has changed some over the years.

AFAIK, fast talented white players are STILL coached away from being CBs from a very early age. As you note, they might be turned into safeties, if they bulk up a little.

Leonard is white...he will never be a great RB...just a slow plodder that averages 3.2 YPC and might catch some balls out of the backfield...