Anyone else think there's too many Bowl games?

stuckincincy

Oh well...it was an exciting season. :thumbsup:

As of Monday afternoon the University of Maryland says it's sold about 16 tickets to the game. The University of Nevada says it's sold 8 so far.

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2008/12/1...-in-the-dozens/

BTW, for the bowl games, the value of unsold tickets is deducted from a team's appearance fee. Ouch.

Oh well...it was an exciting season. :thumbsup:

As of Monday afternoon the University of Maryland says it's sold about 16 tickets to the game. The University of Nevada says it's sold 8 so far.

BTW, for the bowl games, the value of unsold tickets is deducted from a team's appearance fee. Ouch.

There are way too many bowls. This is going to be a big problem for the NCAA in the upcoming years. Filling the stadium in these bowl games. I read on CNN today that the game between Cincy & V Tech in the Orange Bowl, which is a top tier bowl game, tickets are actually going for $1 on some of the auction sites.

Hey Udonkey, I hope you did not pay face value for your ticket.

If you live in Maryland, are you going to buy a ticket to a game in Boise ?!?

You know what, I would :thumbsup: But as the thread topic stated, just to many dam bowl games! I am a big Terp fan, but I would say their year was marginally better than the Bills year, only in reverse. Beat almost all the good teams, lose to all the lousy teams on your schedule.

It would be like saying would you travel to Boise for a Bills game for the consolation bracket of the NFL for all those teams that didn't make the "real" playoffs.

OTOH, if it was a game that meant something, count me in!!!

Nope. How do you explain the Orange Bowl tickets going for $1.

Cincinnati - VaTech? I know someone who's covering that game, and even he isn't all that thrilled about going. On the other hand, if I was in Miami for the holiday ... yeah, I'd probably be tempted.

Just checked Rose Bowl tix on StubHub; end zone seats are $150 and up. 'Course, that's two teams people actually care about.

For me, the bowl games used to be exciting to me. But there are far too many bowl games now. I can not get excited watching 6-6 teams making the post season.

College football badly needs a playoff system. Right now 68 teams qualify for the post season, that's more than college basketball.

Why not use the same playoff system that college basketball uses, it could work. They already have enough teams that qualify.

At least UB is making a good showing at the International Bowl. 6,000 of the school's 10,000 seat allotment sold, plus all the rest of the seats on the East/UB side of the stadium gone. UCONN doing reasonably well too. Expect 30,000+ for the game.

PTR

If you live in Maryland, are you going to buy a ticket to a game in Boise ?!?

I always thought Maryland fans travelled well. Even still, those numbers are rediculously embarrassing for a traditionally proud 1A school.

As a college football fan, I like all the bowls. I'm not a big reality TV show watcher, so once the bowl season starts up, there's definitely nothing better for me to watch than a football game on a Thursday night.

You know what, I would :wallbash: But as the thread topic stated, just to many dam bowl games! I am a big Terp fan, but I would say their year was marginally better than the Bills year, only in reverse. Beat almost all the good teams, lose to all the lousy teams on your schedule.

They shoulda put the Terps against Navy in tomorrow's game at RFK...would have sold out the place. Instead, they pick Wake. And with the cheapest tix starting at $45, no thanks.

Cincinnati - VaTech? I know someone who's covering that game, and even he isn't all that thrilled about going. On the other hand, if I was in Miami for the holiday ... yeah, I'd probably be tempted.

Just checked Rose Bowl tix on StubHub; end zone seats are $150 and up. 'Course, that's two teams people actually care about.

The Rose Bowl is a totally different bowl then any other bowl with the tradition such. Plus I think it is probably the most interesting matchup of all the bowl games(including the NC).

If your a Cincy alum or VT alum, that would be a great way to spend the holidays. Do not know why there is not more demand for this game.

I really think the old way they did the bowl with all the tie ins & such. Seems like more & more we get boring matchups. If they did the bowls the old way this is how it would probably look.

Rose Bowl - USC/Penn ST

Orange Bowl - Oklahoma/Alabama

Sugar Bowl - Florida/Texas

Fiesta Bowl - Bosie ST/Utah

Cotton Bowl - Cincy/V Tech

Much more interesting matchups. Do not know how the ACC & the Big East would feel about this, but correct me if I am wrong but I do not ever remember them having an automatic tie in to one of the big 4 bowls before the BCS. I threw them a bone & gave them the cotton bowl all though I could surely find a better matchup/more interesting matchup then that.(Ohio ST/Texas tech)

The Rose Bowl is a totally different bowl then any other bowl with the tradition such. Plus I think it is probably the most interesting matchup of all the bowl games(including the NC).

If your a Cincy alum or VT alum, that would be a great way to spend the holidays. Do not know why there is not more demand for this game.

I really think the old way they did the bowl with all the tie ins & such. Seems like more & more we get boring matchups. If they did the bowls the old way this is how it would probably look.

Rose Bowl - USC/Penn ST

Orange Bowl - Oklahoma/Alabama

Sugar Bowl - Florida/Texas

Fiesta Bowl - Bosie ST/Utah

Cotton Bowl - Cincy/V Tech

Much more interesting matchups. Do not know how the ACC & the Big East would feel about this, but correct me if I am wrong but I do not ever remember them having an automatic tie in to one of the big 4 bowls before the BCS. I threw them a bone & gave them the cotton bowl all though I could surely find a better matchup/more interesting matchup then that.(Ohio ST/Texas tech)

As far as i can tell, there was no official tie-in to the orange bowl until recently, but in the 80's and 90's, most of the orange bowls featured big 12 vs ACC/Big East (actually it was big 12 vs FSU/Miami)

As far as i can tell, there was no official tie-in to the orange bowl until recently, but in the 80's and 90's, most of the orange bowls featured big 12 vs ACC/Big East (actually it was big 12 vs FSU/Miami)

That sounds right. It always seem like it was the champ of the big 12/big 8 vs a wild card. Alot of times it was either Miami or Fl St since they were usually in the top 5 year in/year out. If they are not going to have a playoff, I would just assume they go back to the old way. These bowl matchups suck this year.

If a 6-6 team (cough cough Notre cough Dame) can get a Bowl Bid, there's way too many bowls

You think the good people of Hawaii are going to complain about the thousands of Notre Dame fans coming to the islands this Christmas and spending their money?

I sure as hell wouldn't be. :rolleyes:

Notre Dame would get a bowl bid if they were 0-12

I don't get why I hear people complaining about ND getting a bowl bid. I don't like them either, but they're 6-6. That's bowl eligible, it's not like they're breaking any rules. Personally, I think a team should have to win 8 games to be bowl eligible, but this is the way it is.

Oh well...it was an exciting season. B-)

The problem isn't so much too many bowls as it is too many stadiums. Have the Humanitarian Bowl but play it on a high school football field. Sellouts would almost be assured by the townfolk at least. :rolleyes:

At least UB is making a good showing at the International Bowl. 6,000 of the school's 10,000 seat allotment sold, plus all the rest of the seats on the East/UB side of the stadium gone. UCONN doing reasonably well too. Expect 30,000+ for the game.

PTR

UCONN and Buffalo are fairly close to Toronto. Getting Buffalo fans to show up is pretty easy. UCONN fans are close enough that getting them isn't very hard either. The problem with some of these is their distance from one another. As Lori said most people in Maryland don't want to go to Boise.

I don't get why I hear people complaining about ND getting a bowl bid. I don't like them either, but they're 6-6. That's bowl eligible, it's not like they're breaking any rules. Personally, I think a team should have to win 8 games to be bowl eligible, but this is the way it is.

Yeah, but people get pissed because ND pads their win total against the service academies and local high schools. The win % of their opponents that they beat this season was like .100

To me, the most shocking thing was that ND was 6-6 and not ranked top 10.