To the draft experts I have one name...Vernon Davis

VJ91

He was the best athlete coming out of college in '06. Freakish strength and speed for a big man. The boards loved him. Oh if only he was still on the board when the Bills picked 8th, they all said. Every mock draft had him in the top 5. The 49ers bit, and drafted him with the number 6 pick of the draft. What's he done so far to deserve that draft position? He's averaged bout 30 catches and 3 TD's. a year in almost 3 full seasons. The Bills almost get that much out of Royal.

But take a look at these offensive linemen that were drafted after Davis in the first two rounds in '06:

#23- Davin Joseph-G Starts for the Bucs.

#29- Nick Mangold-C Starts for the Jets.

#50- Marcus McNeill-LT Starts for the Chargers.

#55- Andrew Whitworth-LG Starts for the Bengals.

#59- Jeremy Trueblood-RT Starts for the Bucs.

My point is very simple. Offensive linemen that get drafted in the first two rounds usually end up starting in the NFL. Buffalo has ignored the offensive line in the first two rounds since they struck out with Mike Williams in 2002. This franchise needs to build a new foundation. Three of the four best centers could all still be on the board when the Bills draft in the second round. If they ignore them, and draft the hot-shot tight end or another position, no way will the other three best centers still be there when the Bills' third round pick comes along. You see that is the key. Draft your offensive linemen in the first two rounds, and he will most likely start very quickly and be an impact player for you within a year or two.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best OLine in the NFL happens to belong to the New York Giants. Care to guess how many of them were drafted in the first round?

While I like the Giants' line, I still have to give props to the Titans' line. Not only for the way Johnson and White have been tearing up the league on the ground, but also in how they've excelled in protecting their QBs. Titans QBs have been sacked a total of 8 times all season. That's awesome.

He was the best athlete coming out of college in '06. Freakish strength and speed for a big man. The boards loved him. Oh if only he was still on the board when the Bills picked 8th, they all said. Every mock draft had him in the top 5. The 49ers bit, and drafted him with the number 6 pick of the draft. What's he done so far to deserve that draft position? He's averaged bout 30 catches and 3 TD's. a year in almost 3 full seasons. The Bills almost get that much out of Royal.

But take a look at these offensive linemen that were drafted after Davis in the first two rounds in '06:

My point is very simple. Offensive linemen that get drafted in the first two rounds usually end up starting in the NFL. Buffalo has ignored the offensive line in the first two rounds since they struck out with Mike Williams in 2002. This franchise needs to build a new foundation. Three of the four best centers could all still be on the board when the Bills draft in the second round. If they ignore them, and draft the hot-shot tight end or another position, no way will the other three best centers still be there when the Bills' third round pick comes along. You see that is the key. Draft your offensive linemen in the first two rounds, and he will most likely start very quickly and be an impact player for you within a year or two.

For every Vernon Davis there is a Mike Williams. It's all a crapshoot...

For every Vernon Davis there is a Mike Williams. It's all a crapshoot...

If you read the post, I believe the person is trying to point out how everyone loved Vernon Davis' measurables (his 40 time in particular), but he hasn't been all that as a player. There were O linemen to be had in that draft that would've fared much better than Davis. Your comparison is kinda off base in that respect, as both players were not up to snuff.

If you read the post, I believe the person is trying to point out how everyone loved Vernon Davis' measurables (his 40 time in particular), but he hasn't been all that as a player. There were O linemen to be had in that draft that would've fared much better than Davis. Your comparison is kinda off base in that respect, as both players were not up to snuff.

My comparison is off base? My comparison is based on the draft being a crapshoot. The fact that whether it's measurable or not, is that there are no guarantee's, not even on the Oline. Mike Williams was supposed to be the best run-blocker in his respective draft just as Davis was the #1 TE in his, makes no difference Williams was a bust and Davis seems to be heading down that same aisle. Both Davis AND Williams seem to be very comparable at this point. What's off base about that Rich?

The best OLine in the NFL happens to belong to the New York Giants. Care to guess how many of them were drafted in the first round?

Since I know that nobody is actually going to look it up:

Giants starting line according to their depth chart online (I didn't look up injuries):

LT David Deihl (5th round-2003)

LG Rich Seubert (Not Drafted)

C Shaun O'Hara (Not Drafted)

RG Chris Snee (2nd round-2004)

RT Kareem McKenzie (3rd round-2001)

Since RICH mentioned the Titans:

LT Michael Roos (2nd round-2005)

LG Eugene Amano (7th round-2004)

C Kevin Mawae (2nd round-1994)

RG Jake Scott (5th round-2004)

RT David Stewart (4th round-2005)

if we would have traded up to get Mangold instead of McCargo, this would be a whole different season, that kid is an absolute stud.

Since I know that nobody is actually going to look it up:

Giants starting line according to their depth chart online (I didn't look up injuries):

LT David Deihl (5th round-2003)

LG Rich Seubert (Not Drafted)

C Shaun O'Hara (Not Drafted)

RG Chris Snee (2nd round-2004)

RT Kareem McKenzie (3rd round-2001)

Since RICH mentioned the Titans:

LT Michael Roos (2nd round-2005)

LG Eugene Amano (7th round-2004)

C Kevin Mawae (2nd round-1994)

RG Jake Scott (5th round-2004)

RT David Stewart (4th round-2005)

My point exactly. Two of the best O line's in the league and ZERO first rounders. I'm glad you looked this up KRC thank you.

once i read this post i got to thinking about o-linemen drafted by buffalo in the last 5 or 6 years. In 2002 we picked the franchise left tackle who turned out to be the biggest bust ever; although that selection was mitigated 2 years later by signing an undrafted TE and turning him into a 'pro bowl' left tackle, 2008 not withstanding.

2003 1) McGahee 2) Kelsay 3) Crowell 4) McGee not too bad a draft

2004 1) Evans 1b) Losman 3) Anderson 4) Euhus thanks a lot Donahoe

2005 2) Parrish 3) Everett 4) King this guy built the Steelers?!?!?!

2006 1) Whitner 1a) McCargo 3) Youboty 4) Simpson not as good as we initially thought but not toobad

2007 1) Lynch 2) Pozlusny 3) Edwards 4) Wright pretty impressive

2008 1) McKelvin 2) Hardy 3) Ellis at least our 1st rounder is good

In six drafts not one Olineman taken in the 1st four rounds, while i'm no Kiper or McShay that is unprecedented, nobody does that! Even when we were solid in the 90s we drafted guys like John Fina just to have depth. The most impressive guy we've drafted in the last six years is Brad freaking Butler!! While some teams have been ablet o go late round or FA to build there line, clearly our personell staff is not that good; we need to rebuild from the inside out. Outside I love our corners and our WRs have potential; but if you cant protect the QB or rush the passer what difference does it make.

While I like the Giants' line, I still have to give props to the Titans' line. Not only for the way Johnson and White have been tearing up the league on the ground, but also in how they've excelled in protecting their QBs. Titans QBs have been sacked a total of 8 times all season. That's awesome.

Agree 100%. Especially considering that Collins isn't exactly Flutie-esque in his escapability. But he does know how NOT to take a sack.

GO BILLS!!!

once i read this post i got to thinking about o-linemen drafted by buffalo in the last 5 or 6 years. In 2002 we picked the franchise left tackle who turned out to be the biggest bust ever; although that selection was mitigated 2 years later by signing an undrafted TE and turning him into a 'pro bowl' left tackle, 2008 not withstanding.

2003 1) McGahee 2) Kelsay 3) Crowell 4) McGee not too bad a draft

2004 1) Evans 1b) Losman 3) Anderson 4) Euhus thanks a lot Donahoe

2005 2) Parrish 3) Everett 4) King this guy built the Steelers?!?!?!

2006 1) Whitner 1a) McCargo 3) Youboty 4) Simpson not as good as we initially thought but not toobad

2007 1) Lynch 2) Pozlusny 3) Edwards 4) Wright pretty impressive

2008 1) McKelvin 2) Hardy 3) Ellis at least our 1st rounder is good

In six drafts not one Olineman taken in the 1st four rounds

one correction - Preston was a 4th rounder in 2005. Your point is still strong. Also we picked up two young 2nd round lineman in free agency before the '07 draft in Dockery and Walker. That kind of lifted our pressing need for everything but Center and depth in '07 and '08.

To me what was inexcusable was the stretch from '03 to '06 where our line was incapable of pass blocking, yet we did nothing in the draft.

And that Giant line all of a sudden got great after Mcnally left.

You mean after they replaced 80% of the starters? The only guy starting now who was starting in McNally's last season is Diehl. Seubert was a Giant but missed huge portions of his 3 seasons with McNally. Now stop trying to fit your retardia into a football discussion.

You mean after they replaced 80% of the starters? The only guy starting now who was starting in McNally's last season is Diehl. Seubert was a Giant but missed huge portions of his 3 seasons with McNally. Now stop trying to fit your retardia into a football discussion.

But why? Is it that Mcnally didn't or couldn't see those players for what they were and tried to work with them. Or when mcnally finally left did someone realize they had a pig in a poke and replaced the dead wieght that Mcnally couldn't/didn't teach.

I am hoping now that the great Buffalo boy who returned home is now gone, we too will see great strides in the Oline starting next season.