Mike Tyson

Phlegm Alley

I agree. If Cus D'amato was still alive Tyson would be a much different person.

If Cus D'Amato had lived just another few years, Tyson would not have turned into what he became. Remember that it was in 1990 that he lost to Buster Douglas, and a couple of years after that, he served time for rape.

Dollars to doughnuts none of that happens if Cus makes it to 1990.

If Cus D'Amato had lived just another few years, Tyson would not have turned into what he became. Remember that it was in 1990 that he lost to Buster Douglas, and a couple of years after that, he served time for rape.

Dollars to doughnuts none of that happens if Cus makes it to 1990.

This is true. If Cus would have lived a lot longer, Tyson would have probably been considered the greatest heavyweight ever. It didn't take long for Tyson to loose focus and turn his career and life into the pathetic tragedy that it became.

This is true. If Cus would have lived a lot longer, Tyson would have probably been considered the greatest heavyweight ever. It didn't take long for Tyson to loose focus and turn his career and life into the pathetic tragedy that it became.

I think Tyson was mostly hype. Who did he beat? A bunch of tomato cans that took dives, thats who he fought! The 70s had some great heavyweights that boxers could measure up to. As soon as Douglas showed that Tyson could be beat, Mike lost his edge

BTW two years ago I was in Brighton England and there was a big mob outside a restaraunt during the day. I asked what the crowd was there for- Mike was inside eating and had the place to him and his homies self. Well Mike walked out about 5 feet in front of me, got into and SUV and sped away

I think Tyson was mostly hype. Who did he beat? A bunch of tomato cans that took dives, thats who he fought! The 70s had some great heavyweights that boxers could measure up to. As soon as Douglas showed that Tyson could be beat, Mike lost his edge

BTW two years ago I was in Brighton England and there was a big mob outside a restaraunt during the day. I asked what the crowd was there for- Mike was inside eating and had the place to him and his homies self. Well Mike walked out about 5 feet in front of me, got into and SUV and sped away

A lot of people say that Tyson was just a brawler and not a boxer. He did go on an incredible run in which he made short work of anyone he fought -- until Douglas. I was just saying that hypothetically, if Cus could have managed him much longer, he may have been the greatest.

Who is it, and what was it saying ? :wallbash:

This is who"It" is and he tells me he's going into your dreams tonight. :lol:

A lot of people say that Tyson was just a brawler and not a boxer. He did go on an incredible run in which he made short work of anyone he fought -- until Douglas. I was just saying that hypothetically, if Cus could have managed him much longer, he may have been the greatest.

Tyson's run was the beginning of the really poor quality of boxing. It's a sad state of affairs in the boxing world right now. I don't know if it will ever get better.

Tyson's run was the beginning of the really poor quality of boxing. It's a sad state of affairs in the boxing world right now. I don't know if it will ever get better.

You're right about that. Tyson's reign was the last time that there was any excitement surrounding heavyweight boxing. Since then, there's been the aging cruiserweight Holyfield, George Foreman boxing until he was 48, and the dull, safe boxing of the confused British/Canadian/Jamaican, Lennox Lewis. The current champ, Klitschko, doesn't generate any interest.

You're right about that. Tyson's reign was the last time that there was any excitement surrounding heavyweight boxing. Since then, there's been the aging cruiserweight Holyfield, George Foreman boxing until he was 48, and the dull, safe boxing of the confused British/Canadian/Jamaican, Lennox Lewis. The current champ, Klitschko, doesn't generate any interest.

Larry Holmes is an interesting case. He held the unified title from 78-83, but was widely considered the champ for another year or two (he voluntarily relinquished one if his belts in 83). I guess I consider his reign the beginning of the decline. He was a dominant champ (48-straight victories), but, for the most part, fought a weak class of competitor. It's not as if he ducked guys, but the quality just wasn't there. The younger guys were bums, and the big names were way over the hill. Holmes beat them all. He probably deserves a little more credit than he receives, simply for his ability to take on, and vanquish, all comers.

Tyson fought the same class of opponents (or worse), than Holmes. Tyson, of course, won in an exciting and dominant style, which appealed to the viewers. Whether it was due to the loss of Gus, or simply Mike's nature or limited skill-set, Tyson never advanced to become anything other than a "shock and awe" destruction machine. He won via intimidation, and serious knock out power. Mike never really did figure out how to box with a fighter than didn't fear him, and could take a punch. When that rare opponent also came with his own punching power, Tyson almost invariably lost.

Holyfield is a guy who deserves to be remembered in a more favorable light. He is probably the best "boxer" of the recent champs. But, despite being undersized, he eschewed a defensive style (which likely would have extended his career) for a "warrior" approach, that usually produced positive results. He has done himself no favors by continuing to fight well past his time, but in his prime he was an excellent fighter despite his size.

The guy who might have been a terrific champ, if he wasn't mentally disturbed, was Riddick Bowe. And if he wasn't stupid, and dirty, I wonder how Andrew Golota would have fared.

We look to be in the age of the Russian (or Eastern Europe) heavyweight, now. It will be interesting to see if any of these guys can last, and capture the public's imagination.

Larry Holmes is an interesting case. He held the unified title from 78-83, but was widely considered the champ for another year or two (he voluntarily relinquished one if his belts in 83). I guess I consider his reign the beginning of the decline. He was a dominant champ (48-straight victories), but, for the most part, fought a weak class of competitor. It's not as if he ducked guys, but the quality just wasn't there. The younger guys were bums, and the big names were way over the hill. Holmes beat them all. He probably deserves a little more credit than he receives, simply for his ability to take on, and vanquish, all comers.

Tyson fought the same class of opponents (or worse), than Holmes. Tyson, of course, won in an exciting and dominant style, which appealed to the viewers. Whether it was due to the loss of Gus, or simply Mike's nature or limited skill-set, Tyson never advanced to become anything other than a "shock and awe" destruction machine. He won via intimidation, and serious knock out power. Mike never really did figure out how to box with a fighter than didn't fear him, and could take a punch. When that rare opponent also came with his own punching power, Tyson almost invariably lost.

Holyfield is a guy who deserves to be remembered in a more favorable light. He is probably the best "boxer" of the recent champs. But, despite being undersized, he eschewed a defensive style (which likely would have extended his career) for a "warrior" approach, that usually produced positive results. He has done himself no favors by continuing to fight well past his time, but in his prime he was an excellent fighter despite his size.

The guy who might have been a terrific champ, if he wasn't mentally disturbed, was Riddick Bowe. And if he wasn't stupid, and dirty, I wonder how Andrew Golota would have fared.

We look to be in the age of the Russian (or Eastern Europe) heavyweight, now. It will be interesting to see if any of these guys can last, and capture the public's imagination.

Good points. In his prime, Tyson had the fight won before he got into the ring.

The problem with heavyweight boxing in the last 15 years is the lack of a good rivalry. If Klitschko can find a good antagonist, things could get interesting.

Good points. In his prime, Tyson had the fight won before he got into the ring.

The problem with heavyweight boxing in the last 15 years is the lack of a good rivalry. If Klitschko can find a good antagonist, things could get interesting.

I forgot about the fight, last night. Apparently it was a snooze fest, but they say that Holyfield actually acquitted himself fairly well, against the 7' circus freak.

I forgot about the fight, last night. Apparently it was a snooze fest, but they say that Holyfield actually acquitted himself fairly well, against the 7' circus freak.

That shows how interested I am in boxing right now. I had no idea they were even boxing last night.

Lennox Lewis is the last guy I felt like I could root for as a pugilist. He was a great boxer and a class act. His style of just out pointing guys rather than going for the knockout was really boring though.

IIRC, he paid off Lewis so he wouldn't demand a fight.

Agreed. Things late in Holyfield's career though were really pathetic. George Forman won the Heavyweight title again when he was 45. Foreman was a menace in his prime but he was not in the kind of shape that any real fighter couldn't have beaten easily.

In the documentary "When We We're Kings" Ali wouldn't look in the training room while Foreman was working the heavybag. His hits on that thing were really scary.

Agreed on both fighters.

Klitchko would have been a tomato can back in the 70's. The guy looks like he's been through a wood chipper at the end of every fight. I have a bunch of my friends over for the Championship fights but there hasn't been a fight worth $50 in over approx. three years.

That shows how interested I am in boxing right now. I had no idea they were even boxing last night.

Holyfield fought last night. :blink:

I guess he did.

Disgraceful. Absolutely disgraceful.

What Evander Holyfield did in the ring Saturday night didn't conjure up memories of 45-year-old George Foreman's electrifying knockout of Michael Moorer in 1994. Holyfield wasn't impressive. He did not rattle Nikolai Valuev's enlarged cranium nor did he dazzle the capacity crowd in Zurich, Switzerland, with impressive flurries.

Instead, Holyfield was a human carousel, dancing around the 7-foot Valuev (who ably played the part of the post) and occasionally pausing to throw a meek punch or two.

But he absolutely, positively won the fight.

That three professional judges could score the fight for Valuev, and thereby deny Holyfield his fifth reign as heavyweight champion, is embarrassing. Valuev was awful. He didn't land one effective punch, much less a combination. He dispassionately allowed Holyfield to dictate the tempo of the fight while showing a complete and utter inability to use his long jab to keep the challenger at bay. He was sluggish and at times looked fearful of an opponent that had no possibility of hurting him.

:thumbsup:

God the state of boxing is pathetic. Does anyone own all three belts now? I can't remember the last time a unified champion walked the earth unless it was Lewis for a brief time. Didn't he throw one of his belts in a trash can?

Holyfield fought last night. B-)

I guess he did.

Disgraceful. Absolutely disgraceful.

What Evander Holyfield did in the ring Saturday night didn't conjure up memories of 45-year-old George Foreman's electrifying knockout of Michael Moorer in 1994. Holyfield wasn't impressive. He did not rattle Nikolai Valuev's enlarged cranium nor did he dazzle the capacity crowd in Zurich, Switzerland, with impressive flurries.

Instead, Holyfield was a human carousel, dancing around the 7-foot Valuev (who ably played the part of the post) and occasionally pausing to throw a meek punch or two.

But he absolutely, positively won the fight.

That three professional judges could score the fight for Valuev, and thereby deny Holyfield his fifth reign as heavyweight champion, is embarrassing. Valuev was awful. He didn't land one effective punch, much less a combination. He dispassionately allowed Holyfield to dictate the tempo of the fight while showing a complete and utter inability to use his long jab to keep the challenger at bay. He was sluggish and at times looked fearful of an opponent that had no possibility of hurting him.

:lol:

God the state of boxing is pathetic. Does anyone own all three belts now? I can't remember the last time a unified champion walked the earth unless it was Lewis for a brief time. Didn't he throw one of his belts in a trash can?

I think you're thinking of Riddick Bowe. I remember him throwing the WBC belt into a trash can so that he wouldn't have to face Lewis.