question about excersize techniques

The Poojer

ok, so i took the big leap and joined a local gym, have been going regularly for a couple weeks now....question about the way i am doing it. i am doing a circuit of 10-12 machines. the way i am doing is it do each set on each machine and then go back and do it again on each machine and then a 3rd set. i am not sure if i should be doing 3 sets on each machine and then moving on to the next....does it matter? any feedback would be greatly appreciated...if it matters, it is a mix of all the major body part groups, not just concentrating on one...thanks in advance

I don't know much about the machines. I prefer to use free weights. I pick them up and then sort of swing and twirl around the room, jerking the weights back and forth as erratically as possible. The good thing about this program is that I don't have to do it very often as I am quite frequently injured.

It sounds like you are supersetting. I always work opposite body parts same time- ex biceps/triceps, back/chest. I too prefer free weights although there are some pretty cool machines now. If I superset I make sure no one is eyeing the machines. I get annoyed when I can't get on a machine because someone is tying up 3 at once. Three sets is plenty. I usually do 3 sets of 15. And the best way to improve your appearance is to work core. Concentrate on core training

I agree with the free weights, just a little bit more controled ;) . But if you're doing 10-12 machines in one session it sounds like you're overdoing it. You should work one area per day. For instance arms and shoulder one day, back and chest the next, legs the next and work each area only one day a week. But the best advice comes from a trainer not this board.

I don't know much about the machines. I prefer to use free weights. I pick them up and then sort of swing and twirl around the room, jerking the weights back and forth as erratically as possible. The good thing about this program is that I don't have to do it very often as I am quite frequently injured.

spit up on monitor! ;)

But the best advice comes from a trainer not this board.

How do you figure? Have you seen what kind of shape me or anyone else is on this board? I have been training for over 20 years- yoga, probodx, pilates, plylometrics, free weights, kettle bells, isometrics, etc- so I do feel quite qualified to answer a simple fitness question. There is a wealth of knowledge on this board, spanning many subjects

ok, so i took the big leap and joined a local gym, have been going regularly for a couple weeks now....question about the way i am doing it. i am doing a circuit of 10-12 machines. the way i am doing is it do each set on each machine and then go back and do it again on each machine and then a 3rd set. i am not sure if i should be doing 3 sets on each machine and then moving on to the next....does it matter? any feedback would be greatly appreciated...if it matters, it is a mix of all the major body part groups, not just concentrating on one...thanks in advance

If your gym has personal trainers they likely have a program to help get you started. Talk with one of them to see if that's the case. If it is, explain what you want to accomplish and then they should walk you through a session.

If they don't...let me preface this by saying that I am not a professional trainer and I will accept no blame if you pull a "gringo". (or pull your gringo as the case may be)

I do two sets, 15-20 reps per set on roughly the same # of machines as you, I end with 20 minutes of cardio. That's M-W-F. The other two days I do abs only plus 40 minutes of cardio.

I'm closing in on 50 and weigh about 225 if that's any help.

How do you figure? Have you seen what kind of shape me or anyone else is on this board? I have been training for over 20 years- yoga, probodx, pilates, plylometrics, free weights, kettle bells, isometrics, etc- so I do feel quite qualified to answer a simple fitness question. There is a wealth of knowledge on this board, spanning many subjects

Just because you in good shape doesn't mean shiit. You can explain to him what he needs to do but you can't show him and tell him while he's doing it what he's doing right or wrong.

First of all - congratulations. I had been a lazy bum for a majority of my 38 yr existence when I took the step you did - join a gym. Almost 3 years later, I am addicted and get depressed if I don't get my 4 days/ week in. So keep it up and don't go back. Do what works best for you and with what your main intent is. My primary drivers were (in decreasing order of importance): lower cholesterol, slimmer body and muscular shape.

As with beerball, I am not a professional trainer of any sort but here is what I do:

- 2 days of each: 55-60 minute cardio + 1 ab crunch machine + 1 medicine ball for abs.

- 2 days of each: 20-30 minute cardio + 40 minutes machines. I do a total of 8 upper body machines. 10-12 reps x 2 sets at one time before moving to the next machine.

I have been happy with the results. What I got was a reduction in trouser size from 38 to 34, more upper body strength and decidedly lower frequency of illnesses.

What I did not get yet is a flat tummy. I am not aiming for rippling muscles but rather a muscular upper body.

Hope that helps.

Just because you in good shape doesn't mean shiit. You can explain to him what he needs to do but you can't show him and tell him while he's doing it what he's doing right or wrong.

Anyone can get a training license for about $300 bucks and an at home test. Doesn't really mean much.

And he's just asking for basic advice about which machines to use and when, you don't need a trainer for that.

If you are just starting out, or even if you used to work out and are getting back into it, I would advise going to a trainer for a month. They will get you on a schedule, show you different exercises, etc...

There are hundreds of different theories about what to work out, on what, and when. Best advice I can give you is try different things.

You've tried the way you explained. Next week try doing 3 sets on each and moving on. Couple weeks from now mix in some free weights and see if that feels better. Not only will you get a better idea about what's there and what you like, changing your workouts is one of the best ways to increase your overall fitness. People that do the same thing week after week get stuck in a rut, and the changes they saw when they first started pretty much stop.

Most important thing, KEEP GOING. It's a slow steady process, but it doesn't pay off if you stop showing up.

Anyone can get a training license for about $300 bucks and an at home test. Doesn't really mean much.

And he's just asking for basic advice about which machines to use and when, you don't need a trainer for that.

And I answered his basic question but told him the best person to ask is someone who trains for a living who can show him what to do and how to do it. I think that's pretty sound advice.

Excellent advice. I subscribe to the Peter Griffin school of thought when it comes to working out with free weights. Remember, the key is to put it all in your groin and your back. Take your legs totally out of the equation. Lift with your lower back in a jerking, twisting motion.

Best advice i could give is use as many free weights as you can. Use slow controlled movements both up and down. weights like dumbbells will build you much faster and work all of the supporting muscles in the process. Start with what you can do 3 sets of 12 with. As it gets easier move up in weight.

Excellent advice. I subscribe to the Peter Griffin school of thought when it comes to working out with free weights. Remember, the key is to put it all in your groin and your back. Take your legs totally out of the equation. Lift with your lower back in a jerking, twisting motion.

You guys left the most important part of free weights out. While lifting, grunt/yell as loud as you can, this helps with the lift, and also will get the hot chicks in spandex attention, so they can see what a strong guy you are.

You guys left the most important part of free weights out. While lifting, grunt/yell as loud as you can, this helps with the lift, and also will get the hot chicks in spandex attention, so they can see what a strong guy you are.

Yes, definitely scream, grunt, and yell in your deepest, most masculine voice. EVERYONE in the gym LOVES that guy!