Experiment time

VIPP

experiment with players who have underachieved in their initial position with the team. The first name that comes to mind is..

Donte Whitner

- He's a great locker room guy, has strong leadership qualities, and many of times I have seen the team huddle around him when he rallies the defense.

- I'll give credit where its due, Whitner is solid against the run. On many occasions he has done an excellent job of blitzing and stopping the RB at or before the LOS, as well as showing a decent pass rushing skills. But the fact remains, dude is HORRIBLE against the pass, and this past week against the Jets magnified his weakness. Favre had a terrible game, but the only success he had was with the WR/TE that was being covered by Whitner.

A few seasons ago we signed Jason Peters as a TE, he ballooned up over the off season while maintain his agility and solid footwork translating into a solid Tackle in the league, some would argue easily top 5 in the NFL. Why get the training staff to help Whitner put on some weight properly, and move him to OLB. His coverage skills are bad, but i think comparable to any OLB in the league. I know his height may be an issue, but at SS he's just not cutting it.

What do you guys think?