How does Jauron's HC career stack up

BADOLBILZ

Now that it's official that Jauron will not have a winning season, I'm wondering where his career stacks up since the AFL/NFL merger. It's pretty safe to say that the record will again be losing, making Jauron 7 for 8 PLUS an 0-3 interim stint. I know Norv Turner is stiff compettition, but has any coach been given so many chances and only put up 1 winning season? 3 more years of Jauron may create an insurmountable record of futility.

Now that it's official that Jauron will not have a winning season, I'm wondering where his career stacks up since the AFL/NFL merger. It's pretty safe to say that the record will again be losing, making Jauron 7 for 8 PLUS an 0-3 interim stint. I know Norv Turner is stiff compettition, but has any coach been given so many chances and only put up 1 winning season? 3 more years of Jauron may create an insurmountable record of futility.

Dave Wannstedt actually had a couple of winning years with the Dolphins, but he has to be up there too.

Dave Wannstedt actually had a couple of winning years with the Dolphins, but he has to be up there too.

Wannstedt actually finished above .500 in all 4 of his years as phish coach, although he was below .500 when he resigned during Year 5.

He also had a couple winning seasons and took the Bears to the playoffs in Chicago.

He's nowhere close to Jauron's futility.

Edit: Looking at that site, it seems only Dan Henning, Ray Perkins and Bruce Coslet come close to Jauron. :devil:

Wannstedt actually finished above .500 in all 4 of his years as phish coach, although he was below .500 when he resigned during Year 5.

He also had a couple winning seasons and took the Bears to the playoffs in Chicago.

He's nowhere close to Jauron's futility.

You're right, Wannstedt has always been stuck in my head as the quintessential mediocre coach but he did have more ups and downs than that. Looking at the numbers posted above I see Norv Turner is an eerily accurate comparison for Jauron.

I've always thought being a NFL HC is like being a fighter pilot during times of war. If you're not successful, you're shot down in short order.

Jauron's career, by virtue of being hired by an octogenarian, was lengthened inexplicably beyond reason. I do believe DJ went 1-4 with Detroit following Mariucci's firing. Still, 7 out of 8 seasons without a winning season should not be rewarded, contract or not. One winning season in which he lost his only career playoff game.

Only Bart Starr (.406), John McKay (.333 with the expansion Bucs), and Joe Kuharich (.417) have coached 130+ games with a worse winning percentage than DJ (.433).

Norv is up there, but he's at least been to the AFC title game, which already out-does DJ.

Wayne Fontes has a better winning percentage. And the list goes on and on.

SB, do you remember when people were saying DJ had won COY in 01? It's ironic I don't hear that refrain as much anymore.

I'll admit that at the end of last year and for the first month or so of this season, I was thinking Jauron may be just what this team needed - an even-keeled guy that could keep the team focused. But, I appear to have been horribly wrong. I can point to at least 3 games we've lost this year directly to his decisions. I'm now firmly on the let's dump Jauron bandwagon.

How do we want to rank him? He's clearly among the worst of all time for the number of seasons he's been a HC. Marion Campbell, Dan Henning, Sam Wyche are in the running...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/

On the bright side, he makes Wayne Fontes look very capable.

Actually, Wayne Fontes was QUITE capable. Sure, E-SPIN made a mockery of everything he did, but people looked at his teams as if they had just one player. He had quite a stretch of 10+ win squads and playoff runs- if you remember his Monday night game against the Cowboys- remember the turnovers forced- they were always well prepared in that regard. Lets remember he coached in the NFC in an era dominated by Dallas, NY, Washington, Chicago and San Francisco anddid quite well. Problem is that he coached in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Dick Jauron is not as good a coach as Fontes was, but he has been with two bad franchises. He had one winning season in Chicago, then lost his job to Lovie Smith- Smith significantly upgraded personnel when he got there- Thomas Jones is much better than Anthony Thomas and QB isn't even debatable. The Offensive and defensive lines have been in shambles in Buffalo for nearly a decade, which have hindered him, Williams and Mularkey and didn't help Levy or Phillips either.

Would firing Jauron be a ridiculous move? No, I can't say that it would be. Is it a smart move? I don't see how another coach could have gotten more out of the team than he has, so I'm not so sure it is smart, unless we have Cowher or Schottenheimer lined up, which won't happen.

I think the smart move is to get a good personnel staff headed by a GM.....something we haven't had in awhile. I would even take Tom Donahoe back.

Actually, Wayne Fontes was QUITE capable. Sure, E-SPIN made a mockery of everything he did, but people looked at his teams as if they had just one player. He had quite a stretch of 10+ win squads and playoff runs- if you remember his Monday night game against the Cowboys- remember the turnovers forced- they were always well prepared in that regard. Lets remember he coached in the NFC in an era dominated by Dallas, NY, Washington, Chicago and San Francisco anddid quite well. Problem is that he coached in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Dick Jauron is not as good a coach as Fontes was, but he has been with two bad franchises. He had one winning season in Chicago, then lost his job to Lovie Smith- Smith significantly upgraded personnel when he got there- Thomas Jones is much better than Anthony Thomas and QB isn't even debatable. The Offensive and defensive lines have been in shambles in Buffalo for nearly a decade, which have hindered him, Williams and Mularkey and didn't help Levy or Phillips either.

Would firing Jauron be a ridiculous move? No, I can't say that it would be. Is it a smart move? I don't see how another coach could have gotten more out of the team than he has, so I'm not so sure it is smart, unless we have Cowher or Schottenheimer lined up, which won't happen.

I think the smart move is to get a good personnel staff headed by a GM.....something we haven't had in awhile. I would even take Tom Donahoe back.

The Bills should have warmed Fontes over and brought him in at midseason. He sucked, but no team feared losing their big softee coach like those Lions teams did. They always showed up in the second half of the year to salvage his job.

Dick Jauron is not as good a coach as Fontes was, but he has been with two bad franchises. He had one winning season in Chicago, then lost his job to Lovie Smith- Smith significantly upgraded personnel when he got there- Thomas Jones is much better than Anthony Thomas and QB isn't even debatable.

You do know that Dick Jauron was the HC when Rex Grossman was drafted, right?

And a few Bears fans might disagree that Grossman is a huge upgrade over Jim Miller.

Did anyone throw a shoe at Jauron during the press conference today? Some Iraqi journalist threw his shoes at Prez Bush in a show of defiance and disgust today. It would be priceless to see someone from the News or the Rochester D&C do the same.