Iraqi Throws shoes at Bush!

No, nobody deserves it...and I would be far happier if he were treated according to western liberal principles, at least so we could point to Iraq and say "See, we managed to combine western liberal democratic principles and rights with Islamic philosophies without corrupting Islam. It was painful, but it CAN work!" I'm pretty sure that's a pipe dream, though. And fundamentally, you'd probably be hard-pressed to find any Arab-Islamic country where he would have been better treated (maybe Lebanon...but if I suggested it to the Lebanese I know, they'd all say "I'm not an Arab, you !@#$.")

I was talking to my brother-in-law about this - he does a lot of work in the Emirates. I was very surprised to find out that he'd never heard of the bottom of the shoe being so insulting in Arab culture (even I knew that - I thought after all the footage of Iraqis beating statues of Saddam with shoes, it became common knowledge). I figured when Citigroup sent him to Dubai, they'd at least prepare him with "Whatever you do, NEVER cross your legs in a meeting."

You know what I don't get is the fact that we try to be so politically correct with other countries, yet they make no effort not to insult us. Not sure why this bothers me, since we are the biggest bully on the block, so maybe the guys should be granted clemency??? But if you ever insult a policeman in this country, or did threw a shoe or other object at the President here you would probably receive the same beating and would unlikely be able to receive any redress.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, nobody deserves it...and I would be far happier if he were treated according to western liberal principles, at least so we could point to Iraq and say "See, we managed to combine western liberal democratic principles and rights with Islamic philosophies without corrupting Islam. It was painful, but it CAN work!" I'm pretty sure that's a pipe dream, though. And fundamentally, you'd probably be hard-pressed to find any Arab-Islamic country where he would have been better treated (maybe Lebanon...but if I suggested it to the Lebanese I know, they'd all say "I'm not an Arab, you !@#$.")

I was talking to my brother-in-law about this - he does a lot of work in the Emirates. I was very surprised to find out that he'd never heard of the bottom of the shoe being so insulting in Arab culture (even I knew that - I thought after all the footage of Iraqis beating statues of Saddam with shoes, it became common knowledge). I figured when Citigroup sent him to Dubai, they'd at least prepare him with "Whatever you do, NEVER cross your legs in a meeting."

A friend of mine who lives over there and wants to come back over here was horrified when we brought the war over there- he said that it was exactly what Al Quaeda wanted- to fight us over there and to have us set up democracies that can't stand without our protection. Sometimes I think it would have been better to help them set up the theocracy they wanted- one that could stand without us there to protect it.

A friend of mine who lives over there and wants to come back over here was horrified when we brought the war over there- he said that it was exactly what Al Quaeda wanted- to fight us over there and to have us set up democracies that can't stand without our protection. Sometimes I think it would have been better to help them set up the theocracy they wanted- one that could stand without us there to protect it.

Where are you at with dividing Iraq into threes with Sunni, Shiites and Kurds having their own territories???

Where are you at with dividing Iraq into threes with Sunni, Shiites and Kurds having their own territories???

I am not knowledgeable enough about the goings-on in the region to know if that would be a possibility or not. I have heard this brought up before by Biden, but wouldn't the desire to control the oil short circuit this attempt?

I am not knowledgeable enough about the goings-on in the region to know if that would be a possibility or not. I have heard this brought up before by Biden, but wouldn't the desire to control the oil short circuit this attempt?

I always suspected that the three-state solution would be even more destabilizing to the region, with a Kurdish state at odds with Turkey, Iran, and Syria; and Iran and the rest of the Middle East fighting a proxy war with the Sunni and Shi'ia states. With everyone still hating Israel, of course.

May as well just give up and hand the whole region nukes.

They already are de facto divided. The Kurds are a semi-autonomous region, and with our occupation, the Sunni and Shites that used to live together went back to ethnic fighting that resulted in segregated neighborhoods and cities. The fighting has died down in large part because they've pretty much settled on the divided territory. People who left their Sunni homes in mixed neighborhoods came back to find they were no longer welcome, with their homes occupied by Shites, and visa versa. Our military has even resigned itself to this reality by helping to build walls between different ethnic neighborhoods.

Well I owe Bush an apology. He's created 100 new jobs, at the factory of the shoemaker who produced the now-famous shoes. Apparently this guy has had over 300,000 inquires / orders. And so it goes.
Turns out they are made in Turkey and go for about 40 bucks a pair. And yes they are now called THE BUSH SHOE.

Turns out they are made in Turkey and go for about 40 bucks a pair. And yes they are now called THE BUSH SHOE.

I wonder how long before they pop up on eBay...

I also have a vision of a dump truck pulling up to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue sometime this Christmas and dumping a whole load of nasty old shoes right out front. It would be appropriate.

I wonder how long before they pop up on eBay...

I also have a vision of a dump truck pulling up to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue sometime this Christmas and dumping a whole load of nasty old shoes right out front. It would be appropriate.

And I have a vision of a pimp truck pulling up to the the White House on the 20th of Jan and dumping a load of chewed upon rib bones and chicken bones with loud rap music coming from the cab of the truck This would be more approiate.

I wonder how long before they pop up on eBay...I also have a vision of a dump truck pulling up to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue sometime this Christmas and dumping a whole load of nasty old shoes right out front. It would be appropriate.
Unlike the Palin turkey you will not see the Bush shoe on E Bay, the original pair was destroyed. Guess these Iraqi officials have no sole.

And I have a vision of a pimp truck pulling up to the the White House on the 20th of Jan and dumping a load of chewed upon rib bones and chicken bones with loud rap music coming from the cab of the truck This would be more approiate.

:unsure:

That sound you just heard was the lib freaks brains exploding. :thumbsup:

No, what he heard was nothing from the vast majority of people who would find that offensive. Obviously not you two. <_<

Unlike the Palin turkey you will not see the Bush shoe on E Bay, the original pair was destroyed. Guess these Iraqi officials have no sole.

Good one. Actually I didn't mean the actual shoes (and I bet they weren't really destroyed, someone's probably building a shrine with them as centerpiece), I mean selling this style etc of shoe on eBay.

If someone would want a Palin turkey and a celebrity's snotty used tissue, I am sure people will buy handmade shoes.