Who would hire UAW workers??

RLflutie7

I've stayed out of the last anti-union thread, but I did read all of the childish anti-union posts from several posters on these pages. And trust me you've outdone yourself.

Saying union employees would only get a job for $8 dollars an hour "because that's all their worth" is childish.

When I was in living in Arizona the Phoenix PD had billboards all over town begging for new police. The Arizona republic was running stories about how police departments all over the country were desperate for new police officiers and that they were taking people into the police academy that had criminal backgrounds because that's all they could get.

A Phoenix police officier asked me if I would consider a career in law enforcement. I was self-employed as a ticket broker (scalper) when he asked. He told me he made 48K as a rookie.

Granted, many police departments all over the country are laying off during this economic crisis, but when things get better, they'll start hiring again because our police departments are aging and there's going to be a need for new police.

I've stayed out of the last anti-union thread, but I did read all of the childish anti-union posts from several posters on these pages. And trust me you've outdone yourself.

Saying union employees would only get a job for $8 dollars an hour "because that's all their worth" is childish.

When I was in living in Arizona the Phoenix PD had billboards all over town begging for new police. The Arizona republic was running stories about how police departments all over the country were desperate for new police officiers and that they were taking people into the police academy that had criminal backgrounds because that's all they could get.

A Phoenix police officier asked me if I would consider a career in law enforcement. I was self-employed as a ticket broker (scalper) when he asked. He told me he made 48K as a rookie.

Granted, many police departments all over the country are laying off during this economic crisis, but when things get better, they'll start hiring again because our police departments are aging and there's going to be a need for new police.

I must be mistaken - I had heard that people were upset about unemployment. Why aren't all those people becoming police officers? What do union autoworkers bring to the table that laid off employees from Circuit City, real estate agents, or financial analysts don't, other than a pre-disposition to donuts?

I think I mentioned the $8 hour thing a couple times. Not because they are union but because they are unskilled labor. No trade. No education. Only bashing the union element because they are making way more than the market can bare. More that any company can afford to pay and remain profitable without taxpayer handouts.

The department I work at is seeing no shortage of applicants. I heard we are hiring 4 people for every 10,000 applications we receive. The trouble we run into is finding good, qualified applicants. If we invite 50 people to test for the department, only 25 will pass the police officer exam. The rest we'll lose through the pych exam, background check, poly, and interviews. You also have to keep in mind that this is a very long process. From the time I submitted my application till the date i was hired was about 1 year. Alot of departments also require college and/or military which I'm not sure if alot of union employees have. So yes, there is a shortage of police officers, but there aren't alot of people out their qualified to take them.

I think I mentioned the $8 hour thing a couple times. Not because they are union but because they are unskilled labor. No trade. No education. Only bashing the union element because they are making way more than the market can bare. More that any company can afford to pay and remain profitable without taxpayer handouts.

That is the key "unskilled". An unskilled laborer in the UAW making $25 an hour pisses off a lot of peopel. For example. I make just under $19.00 an hour, I have a certification (which I had to go to training for) that every two years I have to earn 16 continuing education credits. If I don't I could lose my job. Don't get me wrong I like my job, but if all I had to do was show up and get $25 an hour with absolutely no training and not continuing education I'd do that in a heart beat. That's part of the problem. Protecting those who don't want to do anything and protecting the goof-offs.

The department I work at is seeing no shortage of applicants. I heard we are hiring 4 people for every 10,000 applications we receive. The trouble we run into is finding good, qualified applicants. If we invite 50 people to test for the department, only 25 will pass the police officer exam. The rest we'll lose through the pych exam, background check, poly, and interviews. You also have to keep in mind that this is a very long process. From the time I submitted my application till the date i was hired was about 1 year. Alot of departments also require college and/or military which I'm not sure if alot of union employees have. So yes, there is a shortage of police officers, but there aren't alot of people out their qualified to take them.

Good post. I think all your points are valid, however it's still an option for big three employees.

I did a little checking and the city of Houston is paying 43K for police and the city of Long Beach is hiring. Many cities are hiring.

If these UAW workers can work for the big three, I'm sure they can pass interviews, background checks, pych exams, drug tests.

These people don't fit the image that their getting from the radicals on this board.

The older UAW people would not qualify according to the city of Houston website. You have to be younger than 44 years.

Also a good post. But education doesn't really matter. It really doesn't.

Industry officials perfer employees who have been in that industry. And all industries tend to want to hire people that have been in that industry.

I have a college degree and I applied for a property management job and I got a rejection letter. It said other applicants had property management experience. It's really that simple.

UAW workers have experience that a police department would look for.

1. They work for a big company with a lot of employees.

2. They work for a company that has a lot of red tape.

3. They have attendance requirements that rival a policemen.

4. They take orders in a top down culture . . . just like police . . . that's why police like a military background.

5. I could go on and on.