Bailout Deal Looks Dead

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta disagree with you there, the good ones make boatloads of money for their firms and investors.

But they get bonuses regardless, it is built into their compensations packages.... Yes they make money for their firms, but they don't produce anything....

Once again they are middle men and as in Jesus' day.... money changers, whom even he criticized as leaches.

Have you been a union employee so long that you have no idea what it's like to work in the real world anymore?

My retirement can be gone whenever the company decides to stop putting into my 401k. Or whenever they decide to cut pensions. I don't get a say. I can only hope they would do it in order to stay in business. And yes, I would rather them make cuts and stay in business than fire me or go out of business completely.

My health care premiums go up almost every year, just like a lot of Americans. While I still have good health insurance, one year I might be paying $65/month and the next year I might be paying $75/month.

Should myself and my fellow employees band together and stop work when our health care increases or the change our 401k's?

So yeah, I don't feel bad at all for the union people that will be brought more into line but still have superior benefits in the future than most Americans. No, they don't deserve it. If they actually gave a rats ass about anything but themselves, they'd be pushing for those cuts sooner than 2010, so that their company could stay in business.

A pay cut is better than no pay at all you jackass.

I have worked within the union for two years, Raised by parents who worked for GM. Always believed in and still believe in Labor. You paying $65/per month for heath insurance. You should be thankful for that. My last company wanted the employees to pay anywhere from $750 per month to $1,000 per month for insurance. Your benefits are about the same as many union people I know.

I thought that was a good one, too.

Are you unionized where you are? I know when I did what you're doing, we had a union.

funny you ask that, because we aren't unionized here, but in the past month there has been a big push to unionize. I'm done and outta here in april, so it wont really concern me. My biggest concern about their attempts to unionize were that they stated that if the union passed, all of us would be subject to union rules, but only the paying members would get union benefits.

funny you ask that, because we aren't unionized here, but in the past month there has been a big push to unionize. I'm done and outta here in april, so it wont really concern me. My biggest concern about their attempts to unionize were that they stated that if the union passed, all of us would be subject to union rules, but only the paying members would get union benefits.

So what do you do Ramius? Shy about that?

And don't worry about only union members receiving union benefits.. my brother in law who dislikes unions receives all of the benefits awarded via contract from the police union.

But they get bonuses regardless, it is built into their compensations packages.... Yes they make money for their firms, but they don't produce anything....

Once again they are middle men and as in Jesus' day.... money changers, whom even he criticized as leaches.

Lets not go to biblical extremes.

The "bonus" is built into the compensation package for most. They are middlemen, but the good ones produce wealth, shine lights on inefficiencies and bad management.

We can have this discussion in another thread, don't want to hijack.

Have you been a union employee so long that you have no idea what it's like to work in the real world anymore?

My retirement can be gone whenever the company decides to stop putting into my 401k. Or whenever they decide to cut pensions. I don't get a say. I can only hope they would do it in order to stay in business. And yes, I would rather them make cuts and stay in business than fire me or go out of business completely.

My health care premiums go up almost every year, just like a lot of Americans. While I still have good health insurance, one year I might be paying $65/month and the next year I might be paying $75/month.

Should myself and my fellow employees band together and stop work when our health care increases or the change our 401k's?

So yeah, I don't feel bad at all for the union people that will be brought more into line but still have superior benefits in the future than most Americans. No, they don't deserve it. If they actually gave a rats ass about anything but themselves, they'd be pushing for those cuts sooner than 2010, so that their company could stay in business.

A pay cut is better than no pay at all you jackass.

Once again you misunderstand the situation, if it were just Unions that were the problem, I might agree, but focusing on them is a non-sequitor and allows you ignore the give-away to these incompetent CEOs who could bail out their companies by giving up a large portion of the compensation... So who really wants the company to fail and not make sacrifices... the Union is at least at the table willing to bargain...

And if you were Unionized, you would have the bargaining power to stop work and force your company to cut you a better deal, maybe giving up a little of those CEO benefits to their workers and negotiating better with these health care cos who do nothing but fleece the average worker and the companies.

Lets not go to biblical extremes.

The "bonus" is built into the compensation package for most. They are middlemen, but the good ones produce wealth, shine lights on inefficiencies and bad management.

We can have this discussion in another thread, don't want to hijack.

Agreed and those that are good don't get their companies in situations like the big three... So any bailout must require that these idiot managers go.

Maybe then you ought to be a bit more sympathetic to unions since your parents work paid for you.

No i'm not. My mom is a teacher and busted her ass going to night school to earn both her Bachelor's and Masters, while raising me and my bro. My dad was a union airline worker and hated it because he actually showed up and worked while half the guys on his shift sat around doing nothing all night. Both of them would have been fine without their unions. My parents taught me to work hard for what you want, not to sit back and enjoy the largely unearned benefits from union work.

Union rules protect workers and defacto non-union workers usually benefit by receiving better benefits and higher pay.

So what do you do Ramius? Shy about that?

And don't worry about only union members receiving union benefits.. my brother in law who dislikes unions receives all of the benefits awarded via contract from the police union.

nope, not shy at all. Many people on here know what i do. You'll figure it out someday. Or maybe get your local union "Google advisor" to do a search on it.

I have worked within the union for two years, Raised by parents who worked for GM. Always believed in and still believe in Labor. You paying $65/per month for heath insurance. You should be thankful for that. My last company wanted the employees to pay anywhere from $750 per month to $1,000 per month for insurance. Your benefits are about the same as many union people I know.

Actually I'm not paying anything.

My wife has better benefits than I do.

And trust me, I'm extremely thankful for everything I have received. And if some day my wife's benefits disappear, or my pay gets cut, then we'll make due.

But a UAW worker can currently pay $750/year and have him and his spouse covered for life. That's amazing. Why would asking him to pay $175/month for him and his spouse until he retires be so terrible?

Union rules protect workers and defacto non-union workers usually benefit by receiving better benefits and higher pay.

In the field i am in, you actually need to accomplish decent work to get rewarded at the end of it all. I dont want half the slackasses here earning the same things i do for not doing sh--, and i don't want to see the ability to tell them to leave removed from the bosses.

Actually I'm not paying anything.

My wife has better benefits than I do.

And trust me, I'm extremely thankful for everything I have received. And if some day my wife's benefits disappear, or my pay gets cut, then we'll make due.

But a UAW worker can currently pay $750/year and have him and his spouse covered for life. That's amazing. Why would asking him to pay $175/month for him and his spouse until he retires be so terrible?

And what I bolded is changed via concessions. And I do agree with you. Workers can pay more. However you have to get to a point where it's bottom and you are just beating down the workers.

And that is on the negotiating table from what I understand, but not unless the Companies make certain guarantees as does the government. What good does it do for the Union's to give up their stake, then have the companies turn around and declare bankruptcy a month later after the bailout money ??? is said to dry up? Then they have less of a legal claim when stuff goes to liquidation.... if nothing else, this is not a smart business negotiating stance and the Unions would be accused of pure negligence if they did.

Maybe have your union intelligence analyst look at some of my info and my posts and figure it out. It'll only take 5 minutes, but you'll have to pay him for an hour's worth of work.

I don't care. Next job be a little bit more proud of.