But Al Gore said it was settled science....

erynthered

Actually, Gore DID say the quote Boomer quoted.

And it was taken out of context and twisted to he "invented" the internet.

And it was stupid of him to say in the first place, since he didn't take any initiative in creating the internet, he took initiative in creating legislation.

The bottom line is that even though Gore didn't say what's usually attributed to him, he's still a moron for saying what he did.

Look Tom, I've long admired your intelligence and wit around here. Especially your self-depracating admissions of your own obnoxiousness and superiority complex. And I certainly agree it was a moronic thing for Gore to have said. But I can't reconcile the contradiction between the statements "... Gore DID say the quote Boomer quoted" with "and it was taken out of context and twisted.."

The simple fact that it WAS taken out of context precludes it from being accurate especially in so far as EVERYBODY with half a brain and just a LITTLE factual knowledge KNOWS what he meant. KNOWS he was speaking about taking INITIATIVE in LEGISLATION long before anyone even knew of the term "internet." That's why I include the Newt Gingrich quote.

I'm just not going to sit idly by while Boomer and his ilk continue to perpetuate the myth because they either 1.) REFUSE to acknowledge the truth of the matter (ignorance) or 2.) they aren't capable of acknowledging the truth of the matter (stupidity).

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look Tom, I've long admired your intelligence and wit around here. Especially your self-depracating admissions of your own obnoxiousness and superiority complex. And I certainly agree it was a moronic thing for Gore to have said. But I can't reconcile the contradiction between the statements "... Gore DID say the quote Boomer quoted" with "and it was taken out of context and twisted.."

The simple fact that it WAS taken out of context precludes it from being accurate especially in so far as EVERYBODY with half a brain and just a LITTLE factual knowledge KNOWS what he meant. KNOWS he was speaking about taking INITIATIVE in LEGISLATION long before anyone even knew of the term "internet." That's why I include the Newt Gingrich quote.

I'm just not going to sit idly by while Boomer and his ilk continue to perpetuate the myth because they either 1.) REFUSE to acknowledge the truth of the matter (ignorance) or 2.) they aren't capable of acknowledging the truth of the matter (stupidity).

Maybe Gore should have said it in Latin or Greek then it could have been an error in translation.

Besides you libertards are easy :censored:

And it's entirely like Bush saying "Mission Accomplished". He never said it, he said "major combat operations are complete", which was entirely accurate but stupid, since it would be taken out of context by people too stupid to know any better.

Same thing happened to Gore. Gore's statement was a little stupider in my opinion - just because I'm cynical about politicians (they don't create anything but paper and hot air. They sure as hell don't create technological infrastructure). But both are instances of the same political phenomenon: a politician says something factually correct but subjectively stupid and gets called on the carpet for it by people who don't know any better.

He must be brilliant , he invented the internet . An overstuffed blowhard comes to mind when I see him.

Maybe you could take thinking lessons here.

The truth, but you'll probably just keep spouting the same lie because you think it makes him look stupid.

Except he never said he invented the internet. He and everyone else with half a brain KNOWS it was initially developed by the military. Gore was an early advocate and pushed hard in the Congress for the military to get the backing it needed. Hell, even Newt Gingrich himself gave Gore credit for his role in pushing the Congress to back the project.

Got any more RushMyths that need debunking? Although I thought this particular one was debunked a while ago.

Edit: meant to say Congress, not Senate.

I gave him a link to the facts above but I doubt he even reads it.

Parroting? Please. If I were mindlessly parroting other people's thoughts, I'd provide a long list of links or something...

:censored:

Quick, can you name anyone who's denied the evidence of a warming trend?

Maybe when you start reading and stop linking, you'll stop being abused.

Can you name anyone, other than Al Gore, who agrees with it?

The Tobacco Institute, before it's dissolution in 1998, would tell you that scientists who link smoking to cancer are full of crap too.

And it's entirely like Bush saying "Mission Accomplished". He never said it, he said "major combat operations are complete", which was entirely accurate but stupid, since it would be taken out of context by people too stupid to know any better.

Same thing happened to Gore. Gore's statement was a little stupider in my opinion - just because I'm cynical about politicians (they don't create anything but paper and hot air. They sure as hell don't create technological infrastructure). But both are instances of the same political phenomenon: a politician says something factually correct but subjectively stupid and gets called on the carpet for it by people who don't know any better.

Your right. He never said it but he stood in front of a banner saying it and gave a speech.

I get your meaning and appreciate the similarities. However, while Bush didn't SAY "mission accomplished", he sure made his comments with a huge MISSION ACCOMPLISHED banner hanging in the background. That banner served to underscore every point he made.

Now, if there had been a huge "I INVENTED THE INTERNET" banner on the CNN set to serve as Gore's backdrop while he made his comments ...

Edit: I see Steely beat me by a minute.

I get your meaning and appreciate the similarities. However, while Bush didn't SAY "mission accomplished", he sure made his comments with a huge MISSION ACCOMPLISHED banner hanging in the background. That banner served to underscore every point he made.

Now, if there had been a huge "I INVENTED THE INTERNET" banner on the CNN set to serve as Gore's backdrop while he made his comments ...

He didn't hang that banner, neither did the people on WH staff. Other than that, your analogy is spot on...

Bush was taken out of context. :censored: The ship he was on was mission accomplished, not the entire conflict.

Quick, can you name anyone who's denied the evidence of a warming trend?

Maybe when you start reading and stop linking, you'll stop being abused.

So, once again can you name anyone besides Al Gore who agrees with global warming?

What?

Get it now?

He didn't hang that banner, neither did the people on WH staff. Other than that, your analogy is spot on...

Weasel words. They didn't hang it they made it to be hung.

Navy and administration sources said that though the banner was the Navy's idea, the White House actually made it.

So, once again can you name anyone besides Al Gore who agrees with global warming?

Get it now?

Navy and administration sources said that though the banner was the Navy's idea, the White House actually made it.

What does any of this have to do your apology letter to the NFL? Is it in the final draft? What's the status of your disgust with the Christmas layoffs that never were? :censored:

Bush was taken out of context. :censored: The ship he was on was mission accomplished, not the entire conflict.

Corky, I know you're used to people talking real slowly and loudly when they speak to you but for expedience sake just let me quickly say you've, again, missed the point entirely. You can't cherry pick bits and pieces of a story to make it fit your view of what the story SHOULD be. That's why context is so important.

Get it now?

Yeah, wanted to make sure you're not up to your standard reading comprehension.

The answer is that very few people disagree that there is a warming trend. But the issue among scientists who are real scientists is whether the cause is natural fluctuation of the global climate or is it man made. Call me a sceptic but I haven't seen scientific evidence that is overwhelmingly conclusive to point to human sources as the primary causes. Once you settle that minor issue, then perhaps we can tackle the other minor detail of what can reasonably be done to affect change without upsetting another balance in the ecosystem or the world population, while prioritizing the global warming hysteria within other issues that the world faces.

But perhaps I should be like you and jump on a hot topic that I read in the paper, because an authority no less than Al Gore screams about it.

Would it be because an aircraft carrier doesn't have the printing capacity for a banner like that? And does it take away the main point that it was not Bush's idea?

What does any of this have to do your apology letter to the NFL? Is it in the final draft? What's the status of your disgust with the Christmas layoffs that never were? :censored:

What does that have anything to do with anything in this thread? Couldn't find another place to post it where anyone would see it and wanted to get into a fight about it? :censored:

Forgive me for be being compassionate. I apologize. I know how that irritates you conservatools.

Doesn't matter who hung the banner. Nor do I care one way or the other. Doesn't matter in the least. The fact it was there to serve as a backdrop was bound to have the impact it had on Bush's speech. That's the issue. That FRAMED the context forever.

That said I will NEVER believe that all the media savvy personnel on the White House staff from Rove on down didn't know for ONE NY SECOND that the sign was going to be visible while Bush made his speech. The White House very carefully plans the background for EVERY televised presidential appearance, especially one so important and with as much fanfare as that one on the carrier. That tells me they LIKED the fact the banner was there and thought it would serve the president and his speech in a positive manner. It wasn't until the ensuing public backlash that everyone backtracked and pointed fingers at who/what was responsible for the banner being there in the first place.

What does that have anything to do with anything in this thread? Couldn't find another place to post it where anyone would see it and wanted to get into a fight about it? :censored:

Forgive me for be being compassionate. I apologize. I know how that irritates you conservatools.

Well, I posted in the right thread, but you seem to have run for the tall grass... :censored::censored:

Interesting how you can summon the "compassion" to unjustly rip into people, but have nothing left in the tank when mia culpas are on the menu. :censored:

I'll step away from the thread hijack now...

He must be brilliant , he invented the internet . An overstuffed blowhard comes to mind when I see him.

That was a real good sound bite back in 2000- but remember fiction is more believable during elections- and its completely acceptable- the majority tells me that.

Gore invented the internet and McCain is Bush. What a wonderful country