bills coaches pay for errors in front office

bigskyfan

It all boils down to one person and one person only.......RALPH WILSON.

It does start at the top. In the last 35 years, outside of the Kelly-Thomas-Bruce Smith era, when has this team been a Serious contender? Outside of the Bill Polian regime, our front office has always been out manuevered.

Coaching is the biggest issue. But I agree that there is too little talent on the team considering the wealth of high draft picks at the Bills disposal in the past 9 years.

The reason is obvious.

The reason for the dearth of talent has been letting quality players walk. I don't know how many times I've said this, but losing Lawyer Milloy, Willis McGahee, London Fletcher and Nate Clements meant the team had to use 3 first round picks and a 2nd round pick on replacements Donte Whitner, Marshawn Lynch, Paul Posluszny and Leodis McKelvin. The net result is NO TALENT GAIN to show for three years worth of premium picks. The only player out of that group who would have otherwise needed to be replaced in that span was Milloy. That is PRECISELY why this team has not made strides in terms of personnel.

Additionally, they had to deal a 3 and a 5 last offseason for Marcus Stroud. Because after 3 years of horrendous run defense, they finally made a move to repair the damage done Donahoe let Pat Williams walk. The same Pat Williams who has played at a Pro Bowl level for a 4 seasons since he left.

Think of all the OL/DL/LB/TE talent that was left on the table on draft day. Opportunity lost.

Meanwhile, the Bills are some $20M under the cap.

I do not understand the philosophy behind continually letting productive players walk when YOU DON'T HAVE ADEQUATE REPLACEMENTS ON THE ROSTER. It's absolutely idiotic.

OH shut up all of you. You've got rookie coordinators and very green QB and middle LB. Jauron delegates to his OC and DC, just like Smith does in Atlanta. and Smith is hailed as a saviour. bull sh--. His coordinators are very good and they haven't had many injuries at all. So canning Jauron solves nothing as he is not the game planner for the offense or defense. These guys just need experience. Fewell and Schonert are clueless but are getting on the job training -- any knucklehead union guy in buffalo will understand that as being legitimate way to become proficient. And buff will not get great, experienced head coaches and coordinators because buffalo is a relatively crappy place to spend 5-6 yrs of your life (unless you have ties to the area) and guys will just go somewhere else for better pay and better conditions. so you need to wait.. or move the franchise to a place the Parcells and Cowhers and martys of the world want to work. sorry. truth hurts.

Second thread on the same subject.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?s=&am...t&p=1248470

Ironic that Jauron dumped the few veteran leaders on the team when he got here and that after 3 years the team has no identity and no leadership.

One of the most often cited things present in this year's quick turnaround teams (Atlanta, Miami, Baltimore) is that there was a 180 degree change in accountability made and filtered on down.

Some specific examples:

Parcells and his staff told every player on the first day, "You are expendable. We will be looking to replace you with someone better at all times. You will do what we say or you will be gone." Joey Porter was one that said he was initially unhappy with this because he suddenly had to start practicing hard everyday even on fundamentals, paying attention in meetings, being on time. (End of the country club.)

Matt Ryan walked into his very first NFL huddle with the play turned to his veteran receiver and told him that he was throwing a bomb and that the receiver was going to run his a55 off and catch it or get his a55 kicked. Country club was over.

Harbaugh came into Baltimore and told his guys that they weren't playing patty cake anymore. Suit up and buckle your chin straps, we got a lot of work to do. Country club was over.

Coaching is the biggest issue. But I agree that there is too little talent on the team considering the wealth of high draft picks at the Bills disposal in the past 9 years.

The reason is obvious.

The reason for the dearth of talent has been letting quality players walk. I don't know how many times I've said this, but losing Lawyer Milloy, Willis McGahee, London Fletcher and Nate Clements meant the team had to use 3 first round picks and a 2nd round pick on replacements Donte Whitner, Marshawn Lynch, Paul Posluszny and Leodis McKelvin. The net result is NO TALENT GAIN to show for three years worth of premium picks. The only player out of that group who would have otherwise needed to be replaced in that span was Milloy. That is PRECISELY why this team has not made strides in terms of personnel.

Additionally, they had to deal a 3 and a 5 last offseason for Marcus Stroud. Because after 3 years of horrendous run defense, they finally made a move to repair the damage done Donahoe let Pat Williams walk. The same Pat Williams who has played at a Pro Bowl level for a 4 seasons since he left.

Think of all the OL/DL/LB/TE talent that was left on the table on draft day. Opportunity lost.

I do not understand the philosophy behind continually letting productive players walk when YOU DON'T HAVE ADEQUATE REPLACEMENTS ON THE ROSTER. It's absolutely idiotic.

not to mention that the players selected with those premium picks have not performed up to where they were drafted.

Second thread on the same subject.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?s=&am...t&p=1248470

Ironic that Jauron dumped the few veteran leaders on the team when he got here and that after 3 years the team has no identity and no leadership.

One of the most often cited things present in this year's quick turnaround teams (Atlanta, Miami, Baltimore) is that there was a 180 degree change in accountability made and filtered on down.

Some specific examples:

Parcells and his staff told every player on the first day, "You are expendable. We will be looking to replace you with someone better at all times. You will do what we say or you will be gone." Joey Porter was one that said he was initially unhappy with this because he suddenly had to start practicing hard everyday even on fundamentals, paying attention in meetings, being on time. (End of the country club.)

Matt Ryan walked into his very first NFL huddle with the play turned to his veteran receiver and told him that he was throwing a bomb and that the receiver was going to run his a55 off and catch it or get his a55 kicked. Country club was over.

Harbaugh came into Baltimore and told his guys that they weren't playing patty cake anymore. Suit up and buckle your chin straps, we got a lot of work to do. Country club was over.

Well put. I can't understand why people don't get this. Parcells repeatedly turns trash into treasure because he demands success. He understands that when you treat the vast majority of players like they are special, you get poor performance. He tells them they aren't special. You are here only until you stop producing. The transformation starts with fear of failure and evolves into desire to achieve. The Bills players have no fear of failing Jauron.

Well put. I can't understand why people don't get this. Parcells repeatedly turns trash into treasure because he demands success. He understands that when you treat the vast majority of players like they are special, you get poor performance. He tells them they aren't special. You are here only until you stop producing. The transformation starts with fear of failure and evolves into desire to achieve. The Bills players have no fear of failing Jauron.

See: Dolphins' empty injury report. It's not because guys aren't injured; they have the same bumps and bruises as any other team this late in the season. But they've also been told that if they're not ready to play, Sparano will find someone who is.

According to Tim Graham, here's how Joey Porter described it earlier in the season:

Guys come in and you get banged up a little bit in camp. And you tend to try and nurse injuries a little longer in training camp because you know how long training camp is. So guys get a hamstring pull, and they want to make that hamstring last three weeks.

He's on you. He's like 'You have two days left, or we're going to do something different.' That's his exact words he's going to tell you. That's his philosophy, no matter who you are. He'll come and tell you right now 'You're on borrowed time. You only have two days left. If I don't see you out there in two days we're going in a different direction.'

All of a sudden that hamstring is ... You know what I mean? Look at our injury report. Nobody's hurt. You go out there and break your knee, just put some ice on it and say 'I'm good to go.' Guys are scared to get hurt right now because the revolving door on Tuesday.

He made you respect your job. I think that's what we lost a little bit last year, and guys just didn't understand how lucky it is to be in the NFL, to have this opportunity that we have. Those guys that took advantage of it aren't here anymore.

He came in the first day and he brought out a notebook that was about that big and that was our injury report. Now our injury report is like a piece of paper. It's got probably two names on there. He just wiped out everybody that was going to act like they were hurt and just kept the real guys that we needed. And I definitely give him a lot of credit for what we are doing now.

AFC East blog: Don't tell Tony Sparano you're hurt

And with three games remaining, the Fins are one win away from tying the best turnaround in league history by a team that went 1-15 the previous season. Something tells me that's not a coincidence.

See: Dolphins' empty injury report. It's not because guys aren't injured; they have the same bumps and bruises as any other team this late in the season. But they've also been told that if they're not ready to play, Sparano will find someone who is.

According to Tim Graham, here's how Joey Porter described it earlier in the season:

And with three games remaining, the Fins are one win away from tying the best turnaround in league history by a team that went 1-15 the previous season. Something tells me that's not a coincidence.

Those are amazing quotes by Porter.

nevertheless, the point is valid that the last true impact player the bills have brought in was Takeo Spikes. Evans is a good player, but not the game changer we need for whatever reason. This is more the fault of the front office (and wilson) than the coaches. Not defending DJ, but you have to go back to the Polian-Butler years to see a bills team with true talent.

Evans aint the game changer cuz our QBs cant get him the ball.

Wow! Those quotes by Porter sure as heck show the difference between Dead Dicks Bills and The Phins this Year...Is it any coincidence one of The Bills biggest problems over the past 2 Seasons has been Games lost due to injury?

Hmmm... <_<

I think that we are too busy trying to follow Marv's model of "good guys = good teammates = success" It's a different athlete. We need to understand that you have to have a core of good guys, but it's necessary to take chances on some misguided at times, freak athletes. Guys look at our team, it's a bunch of hard working non athletic guys.

Example: We would never sign Joey Porter for fear he would be a problem child. But he is a maniac on the field.

Paying for quality front office men, coaches and players=success.

Ralph doesn't pay for quality front office men, coaches and players.

Ergo, Ralph Wilson is the reason for this franchise's absolute inability to succeed in a league built on parity.

Wow! Those quotes by Porter sure as heck show the difference between Dead Dicks Bills and The Phins this Year...Is it any coincidence one of The Bills biggest problems over the past 2 Seasons has been Games lost due to injury?

Hmmm... <_<

Well, Tom Coughlin (a Parcells guy) said the same thing a few years back when he arrived in NY and said the large number of injuries from the previous year were a sign of mental weakness. What happens his first year? The injury situation becomes even worse. Sometimes, guys are really hurt, and no amount of bullying will change that.

I think that we are too busy trying to follow Marv's model of "good guys = good teammates = success" It's a different athlete. We need to understand that you have to have a core of good guys, but it's necessary to take chances on some misguided at times, freak athletes. Guys look at our team, it's a bunch of hard working non athletic guys.

Example: We would never sign Joey Porter for fear he would be a problem child. But he is a maniac on the field.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?s=&am...t&p=1246335

Coaching question: Might it be better to have a coach that can take some supreme talent, give it a vision, keep it focused, and make it cohesive? That is, build character rather than accept a lesser talent that has better character beforehand.

The reason is obvious.

It actually sounds like this post is arguing the opposite of its initial words. Coaching is essential but it is not the biggest issue. Quality FO management starting with the team owner hires the coaches and this is where like it or not the Bills have failed.

Ralph has provided ONE essential element in that he has kept the team here. However, he has failed miserably since the best Bills days when he:

1. Failed to get along with Polian who demonstrably went on to win an SB

2. Made a handshake agreement with Jimbo and failed to acquire a replacement in the draft or FA for a player who demonstrably was done.

3. Failed to manage the Butler situation to a reasonable conclusion and got rushed into hiring TD as the season approached and the turnout demonstrably proved to be disastrous.

4. A big part of the disaster was that though things can work with a TD built team to win an SB (see Pitts) this actually happened with TD being reined in and supplemented to the point he got the boot, Ralph demonstrably failed in that he seemed to turn the keys to the kingdom over completely to TD and he ended up having to boot him after a couple of fatal errors with bad HC hirings and mismanagement.

Like it or not, Ralph did do one ESSENTIAL thing in keeping the Bills here and we need to be grateful for that, however, he did not lead the team to the promised land by doing the other essential thing which is quality longterm management of the team. A fair reading both gives him credit for the essential he did well on and the essential he failed miserably at.