How can Dick Jauron save his job?

So Poeticlaw was right. You are willing to accept mediocrity over potential success because you value continuity more than looking for a winner.

I will never understand people who willingly accept a second rate product or service with the reason of <xxxx>.

Well maybe I'm out of step with the pop tart culture we live in today.

While you can't understand giving a coaching staff time to mould and develop a team, I can't understand the idea that one can find sucess changing the coaching staff every three years. We are both entitled to our opinion we just don't agree ..... I'm OK with that.

While you can't understand giving a coaching staff time to mould and develop a team, I can't understand the idea that one can find sucess changing the coaching staff every three years. We are both entitled to our opinion we just don't agree ..... I'm OK with that.

I am with you on the whole changing coaches every three years thing. What bothers me so much about Jauron's failure is that I know that this every three years a new coach thing is not good for the team. Unfortunately, I think that keeping him is even worse.

It would be one thing if the Bills showed consistent improvement under his tenure, but outside the 5-1 start this year, the team has become worse each year. The value of consistency is why you don't fire a coach who has a bad season or two after showing success in the past.

I get that. We just disagree on the amount of time we should start seeing results or signs of progression.

By the end of third year, we should start seeing patterns or signs of progress.

But since you are not satisfied with three years, how long are you willing to wait to see progress?

I get that. We just disagree on the amount of time we should start seeing results or signs of progression.

But since you are not satisfied with three years, how long are you willing to wait to see progress?

There is no formula, a coach can be successful in one year or not in 10...3 years is more than enough time to find some signs of progress, seems like now the Bills are actually regressing. :blink:

I'm not sure there IS a time limit. IMHO progress could (or should) be seen right away, or at least in the second year. The reason I'm even in this thread was I tried to make a point that progress sometimes can't be measured by win/losses alone. I think progress can be measured (assuming a coach takes over a bad team) in attitude and preperation for the first year or two, and it really takes a while for a coaching staff to assemble players with a skill set can compete with the "better teams".

For example let's say we fire Dick this off season, and hire coach X ....... who of course hires a new staff.

now next year coach X decides we will become a 3-4 defense team .... IMHO .... as much as I hate the "nocover two" scheme we seem to be trying to play ..... I don't think the team is built to support a 3-4 either, so it's going to take a while to play that defense well (we can play hard, we can play tough out of the gate .... but maybe not well). As far as how long ..... not to be wishy washy but ..... it depends ..... I want to see them play hard from the get go, as far as a winning record or making the playoffs (as long as they are playing tough) I'm willing to wait.

Don't forget the original post ....... would going 3-0 the rest of the year save Dicks job ....... my answer is still ..... 3-0 or 0-3 doesn't matter ....... the team needs to be well prepared .... needs to play with fire in their belly.

either way ....... I don't think Dick pulls it off. (I think we DO agree with that)

Realistically, Jauron will keep his job no matter what he does.

If I was making the call, he’d have to make the playoffs.

Since that is impossible, I’d keep DJ if he hired his friend Steve Mariucci as OC. If firing Jauron is not an option, I'd want to bring in some quality coaches and deligate some of DJ's responsibility.

no ... no .... no .... no

The point was I would base my feelings on attitude, not # of wins.

IF ..... DJ's teams played balls to the wall for 60 minutes per game every game ...... and his w/l record was 0-fer whatever, than his problem would have been talent and NOT coaching abilities and I would want him to stay.

However ...... if his team is playing like they are sleepwalking (like we are playing) his problem MAY not be talent, but an inability to motivate, or game plan, or what ever but it IS a coaching problem.

all things being equal ...... I'd take continuity with an average coach above changing coaches every two or three years looking for the Lombardi in the rough.

The man is an NFL head coach, not a cheerleader. The team needs to play balls to the wall because they are professionals paid to do just that. What Jauron needs to do, is to figure out how to play offense against a 3-4 defense. He needs to figure out how to defend on 3rd and 18. He needs to enter the 4th quarter with 3 time outs. He needs to know that we can't throw a screen pass that requires our lumbering right tackle or left guard to pull to the other side of the field because they will never, ever, ever get their in time to make a freaking block.

This team's problem isn't a lack of spirit or even talent. The problem is in the play book and teaching these guys how to play.

Really, how many times this year did you see us run a play in a key situation that totally fooled the defense? A play where execution and talent didn't matter because it was the right call against the right defense? How many times have we been on the other end of that? Take Bill Walsh, that guy was about as inspirational as an adding machine. But he knew football, he could see the defenses coming before they were there and had the plays in hand to beat them.

We need a new coach, preferably one who doesn't give a damn about how Schobel's motor is always running, that Denney is always on time for meetings or that Kelsay and Williams play beyond their limited physical abilities. We have a roster full of Phil Hansons with no Bruce Smiths. No offense Phil.

He can't do anything....if he isn't fired, I'll ban myself from here and even cancel my Sunday Ticket.

BINGO! I've had the Sunday Ticket for 9 years now (just to follow the Bills) and I decided today that if Dick is not fired, I will not renew. If Dick doesn't go, then there is no hope for this team and it would prove that NOBODY in this organization gives a damn about winning football games or making the playoffs. Why would anyone in their right mind support the team then?