No need to pinch yourself, TSW

The Big Cat

My days of giving Dicky the benefit of the doubt are drawing to a close. In his first two seasons, the one intangible characteristic that Jauron brought on Sundays was having his team amped up and disciplined. Very few penalties, and only as many mistakes as one would expect with Losman at the helm.

I remember thinking to myself, "wow, we may be small, we may be young and devoid of NFL talent, but man on MAN do these guys play hard."

Something happened to this team. I don't know if it was the injury to Schobel, Trent's concussion, or daylight savings time, but it seems like they bring increasingly less zeal each and every Sunday. For us fans, this is infuriating for a TON of reasons, but most importantly, they're lack of passion is cause for even greater outrage considering the team seems to have less pop the more important the game is!

It seems that since the fourth quarter meltdown in the first Miami game SIX FuuCKING WEEKS AGO, players on both sides of the ball (with few exceptions) are playing without accountability, like they're waiting for the next guy to get the job done. Really, the only bright spots over the last seven weeks to come to mind include Kyle Williams (in all his undersized glory), Josh Reed, Bryon Scott, Stroud, and Leodis. I don't think Evans has gotten a fair shake, and Marshawn seems to excel at all the wrong times. The offensive line has been manageable, but again, they don't get the job done when it MATTERS. Kelsay is miserable, and I'm finally ready to hop on board with the popular notion that his lucrative extension was the worst move this front-office has made to date. Denney at least makes plays, but it's all or none with that guy. Man, I miss Anthony Hargrove. Him and a healthy Schobel might have actually made the difference this year. What does THAT tell you?

The point is, since 2005 this team hasn't had ANY stars on its roster and I credited Jauron for getting this group of guys to play beyond themselves. He lost them somewhere, and I don't know how or why. May be it was Levy's departure. May be he was more involved on game day than we think. Certainly he wasn't calling plays, but he might have been the emotional spark this team seems to be missing.

I've said before that I don't think it's a coach's job to cheer lead out there, and I still think the players have to step up and grow a pair at one point or another. But if you're going to assemble a young, undersized team, and you have hopes of being at ALL competitive, you have to have all your guys playing at an 11. Our guys have been at a 4 since mid-October. Someone stopped instilling a sense of urgency and it's been our downfall.

I don't want to bring in a new coach, I really don't. I think we're one or two playmakers away from having a very very strong squad, but they need some fire out there. At this point I truly think that Bobby April is due a promotion. He's creative, he's passionate, he's smart, and he's been here. He knows our guys, he won't gut the roster and start from scratch, and he'd likely keep the coordinators. The playcalling hasn't killed us- the execution has. IMO, they can stay.

So, Dick, I love ya, everyone seems to think you're a great guy, but you're just not a leader of men. If you stay, you better turn it around. If you leave, I'll be sad to see you go, until we start winning again.

One more thing:

I'm not usually one to post his wish list here, but we seriously SERIOUSLY need a veteran QB. IMO, we're still going through growing pains, and if there's one position where you can get away with a veteran band aid, it's QB.

If this site is correct, and Warner is an UFA after this year, I would go after him with everything we've got. After him, Jeff Garcia and David Garrard look great, both UFA's. Also wouldn't mind seeing Bulger or McNabb.

No big deal to be wrong. The big deal is what a prick you were to people who have been critical of Jauron. You and a lot of other so called "positive" people who turn their frustration on fellow fans instead of directing it at the organizaton. Are you now the "idiots"? The intolerance of some TSW members toward those who are critical of the organization is ridiculous. Face facts, all Bills fans want this team to succeed, but the Bills organization does not deserve the benefit of the doubt and questioning their direction is not an attack on you.

My days of giving Dicky the benefit of the doubt are drawing to a close. In his first two seasons, the one intangible characteristic that Jauron brought on Sundays was having his team amped up and disciplined. Very few penalties, and only as many mistakes as one would expect with Losman at the helm.

I've come to the same thoughts myself. Good post

I've come to the same thoughts myself. Good post

The day I really turned on Skeletor was the Cleveland game. I thought to myself that this was like the 6th or 7th game in his 3yr tenure that the bills have lost solely imo to his boneheaded coaching & game management. The Bills(like most teams in the NFL) do not have enough talent to overcome these coaching shortfalls.

WRT the QB comment...

How's about trying something old-is-new? You know, the Dwight Adams approach, former VP of the Bills? The Bills could try building a team from the inside out. A good offensive line and a good front seven on defense would do wonders to make even an average QB or average CB look like they had an inkling of talent.

No big deal to be wrong. The big deal is what a prick you were to people who have been critical of Jauron. You and a lot of other so called "positive" people who turn their frustration on fellow fans instead of directing it at the organizaton. Are you now the "idiots"? The intolerance of some TSW members toward those who are critical of the organization is ridiculous. Face facts, all Bills fans want this team to succeed, but the Bills organization does not deserve the benefit of the doubt and questioning their direction is not an attack on you.

Take it easy, big guy. You could cite oodles of instances where I defended Jauron. But, I think you'd be hard pressed to demonstrate any lack of respect on my part. If I called anyone a name like "prick" or "idiot" then I was wrong, and no doubt drunk. I make it a point to not call fellow posters names.

WRT the QB comment...

How's about trying something old-is-new? You know, the Dwight Adams approach, former VP of the Bills? The Bills could try building a team from the inside out. A good offensive line and a good front seven on defense would do wonders to make even an average QB or average CB look like they had an inkling of talent.

I think the OL is a center away from being very very effective.

As for the DL, last year we were tough on the outside, this year the inside. We've made the moves to sure up the interior, and assuming Stroud can stay healthy (potentially a HUGE "if"), like the OL, the DL is one dominant DE away from being a stellar unit.

Tell that to Ramius, C. Biscuit. Dean, etc....

As for the DL, last year we were tough on the outside, this year the inside. We've made the moves to sure up the interior, and assuming Stroud can stay healthy (potentially a HUGE "if"), like the OL, the DL is one dominant DE away from being a stellar unit.

Our DEs are already very effective indeed against the run. What we need is a pass-rushing DE. And do you have any idea how difficult those are to find outside the top five or so of the draft? It's like saying that I am only a couple of million dollars away from being rich.

Our DEs are already very effective indeed against the run. What we need is a pass-rushing DE. And do you have any idea how difficult those are to find outside the top five or so of the draft? It's like saying that I am only a couple of million dollars away from being rich.

I think Chris Ellis actually looked pretty tenacious in pass rush when he was in there. Him and Schobel have the potential to be a lethal combo.

Take it easy, big guy. You could cite oodles of instances where I defended Jauron. But, I think you'd be hard pressed to demonstrate any lack of respect on my part. If I called anyone a name like "prick" or "idiot" then I was wrong, and no doubt drunk. I make it a point to not call fellow posters names.

:rolleyes:

I used to think this, but I am now having strong doubts. Have you ever watched Chris Snee or Logan Mankins? These guys are strong, AND they can move. Dockery probably makes as much as both of them combined.

Dockery is better than Jerry Ostroski was; he doesn't flat out suck. He is huge and sometimes he is able to smother rushers on passing downs. Still, he obviously doesn't move well. Perhaps he should lose 30 pounds and try his luck at RG. I don't know, but the Bills have good running backs, and these guys would be that much better with more space to run through. Also, when there is an injury, we are seeing either Chambers (a backup OT)< or Preston. who is awful.

In other words, we need an improvement at OG. How do you like the chances of Jauron improving the personnel on the OL, let alone the OG position?

Dockery is better than Jerry Ostroski was; he doesn't flat out suck. He is huge and sometimes he is able to smother rushers on passing downs. Still, he obviously doesn't move well.

... and he was paid like Steve Hutchinson and Eric Steinbach. :rolleyes:

... and he was paid like Steve Hutchinson and Eric Steinbach. :rolleyes:

Interesting that you mention these guys. Both of them could have easily been Buffalo Bills.

We traded down when Hutch was sitting there, and selected Clements. I think that Schobel was taken with the other selection so while I won't say it was a bad trade, it was indicative of the mindset of the Bills, or at the very least an omen of things to come.

As for Steinbach, we, while in dire need of guards, passed on him to draft MaGahee, who sat 20 games before even taking the field.

This is the past, and Levy/Jauron hit the ground running and made things even worse.