Jauron gone?

BeastMode54

sorry if already posted

Asked late Sunday if coach Dick Jauron will be back with the Bills in 2009, owner Ralph Wilson replied "I don't know."

There were reports that Jauron agreed to an extension earlier this season, but those have proven premature. Bills COO Russ Brandon said, "the position we're in right now...is not pleasing to anybody. It's unacceptable." Buffalo has dropped six of its last seven games and looks like one of the worst teams in the league. The Bills have not scored a touchdown since Week 12.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How much longer would you give Jauron? For what reason?

Until he fails despite strong lines on both sides of the ball, for the reason that I wouldn't expect him to do much better than he has without quality line play.

3 years

Got it. I'll circle it on my calendar. Boy, we love new coaches, huh?

Part of me thinks we need a new coach, but with all of the young players learning a new system, I'm not so sure it would help

That is my feelings as well. Losman had multiple coordinators his first 4 years, now Edwards will have 3 coordinators if we switch head coaches (I assume we would hire a coach who has a spine and would insist on his own system). The only consistency we have is inconsistency on the coaching levels. If we actually pull the trigger yet again, please have someone with experience in mind before pulling the trigger. Cowart, Shotenheimer, etc, just make sure we are not going the cheap, "gee I get to be an NFL coach" kind of guy like Meathead and Williams.

And here's the link. Its like a blog though, so it won't be there forever.

For fairness of comparison, how about listing the W/L trajectories for all the guys in your sig lines over 3 years?

ps - Why isn't Richie Kotite on that list?

Part of me thinks we need a new coach, but with all of the young players learning a new system, I'm not so sure it would help

Lets see Mangini took over the jets 10-6, who ever the dolphins coach is 8-5 tied for division, Harborough for baltimore 9-4,

Pit, falcons there might be more but comeon first year coaches with new teams are winning regardless of the talent of their team it is possible to win with new coaching it doesnt mean doom and gloom here we go again. Bring in the right coach upgrade the players that need upgrading and teach this team to win <_<

Until he fails despite strong lines on both sides of the ball, for the reason that I wouldn't expect him to do much better than he has without quality line play.

Got it. I'll circle it on my calendar. Boy, we love new coaches, huh?

How many sacks has the line given up? RBs are averaging over 4ypc. What are you hoping for?

Defensive line cannot generate a pass rush, but they are playing decent against the run.

At what level does each side need to perform before you are able to make up your mind about the lost timeouts? Wasted challenges? Penalties? Uninspired play? Ridiculous play calling on both sides of the ball? One winning season out of 8? 4-0 to 6-7? Do you not detect a pattern?

For fairness of comparison, how about listing the W/L trajectories for all the guys in your sig lines over 3 years?

Any way you could re-phrase that? I'm not following.

ps - Why isn't Richie Kotite on that list?

The idea isn't to prove anything, its just to show nobody knows where Jauron will go from here. Jauron COULD be Kotite. He also COULD be Vermeil. Regardless, his job performance thus far gains some perspective from this in my opinion, and doesn't necessarily justify a firing.

As to whether he'd go down or up, my guess is that he's just like the vast majority of the other coaches around the league, meaning that if you give him quality personnel on both lines and at least mediocrity everywhere else, you'll like the results. If you can't do that, you're just going to keep blaming your Head Coach every three years for your own failures.

How many sacks has the line given up? RBs are averaging over 4ypc. What are you hoping for?

Defensive line cannot generate a pass rush, but they are playing decent against the run.

At what level does each side need to perform before you are able to make up your mind about the lost timeouts? Wasted challenges? Penalties? Uninspired play? Ridiculous play calling on both sides of the ball? One winning season out of 8? 4-0 to 6-7? Do you not detect a pattern?

-The pass protection has been decent. One of my other qualifiers was "at least mediocrity everywhere else." When the quarterback play was passable, a Jauron-led team was 5-1. When the quarterback play (regardless of who it was) fell to the bottom of the league, the pass protection was negated, and the offense started spinning its tires in the mud.

-Run D has been solid, but pass rush is bad enough to make me vomit. Denney and Kelsay are sorry excuses for NFL defensive ends, and I don't know how Fewell/Jauron have worked around those defficiencies to field a decent overall unit.

-Penalties as a whole have been way down with Jauron from previous regimes. Challenges are annoying, but a lynching over that hardly seems eye for an eye. Ditto for the timeouts, but I tend to chalk that up to the inexperience at both Offensive Coordinator and QB. I don't remember that happening to the point it has this year when it was Fairchild/Losman (as awful as they were).

-Playcalling on offense? Start a Turk Schonert thread.

-The defense as a whole has been pretty good this year despite ZERO pass rush, so perhaps the playcalling hasn't been as suspect as you think. They're doing their best with what they've got.

I'll never hail Jauron as a Hall of Famer, but I'm sure curious to see what he would do with strong line play. He did once go 13-3 after all.

While he may not call the plays, he does pick the coordinators. His history in choosing OCs, not only in Buffalo but also in Chicago, has been consistently abysmal. So for that, he does have to take the responsibility.

-The pass protection has been decent. One of my other qualifiers was "at least mediocrity everywhere else." When the quarterback play was passable, a Jauron-led team was 5-1. When the quarterback play (regardless of who it was) fell to the bottom of the league, the pass protection was negated, and the offense started spinning its tires in the mud.

-Run D has been solid, but pass rush is bad enough to make me vomit. Denney and Kelsay are sorry excuses for NFL defensive ends, and I don't know how Fewell/Jauron have worked around those defficiencies to field a decent overall unit.

-Penalties as a whole have been way down with Jauron from previous regimes. Challenges are annoying, but a lynching over that hardly seems eye for an eye. Ditto for the timeouts, but I tend to chalk that up to the inexperience at both Offensive Coordinator and QB. I don't remember that happening to the point it has this year when it was Fairchild/Losman (as awful as they were).

-The defense as a whole has been pretty good this year despite ZERO pass rush, so perhaps the playcalling hasn't been as suspect as you think. They're doing their best with what they've got.

I'll never hail Jauron as a Hall of Famer, but I'm sure curious to see what he would do with strong line play. He did once go 13-3 after all.

The defense is ranked 11 in ypg allowed. Ahead of Carolina, Indy, Miami, ne*, Bears, Jests, Falcons.

In passing D they rank 12. Carolina jumps us.

Not so bad for a 6-7 team. I would give you more but the site has locked up on me. You know where to find the stats though.

Who hired Schonert? Who else was interviewed?

Defensive playcalling...see Az and ne* games where DBs played well off receivers as designed while they ran slant after slant after slant against us.

What was Jauron's record in Chicago? You have Vermeil listed for two teams. What about Jauron?