Wishing Ralph Willson ill or worse is not going to fix anything

BuffaloBill

I suspect that I will get some heat for this post. However, any of you posting comments along the lines of "I want Ralph to die" are seriously going too far. The game of football and fandom are at the end of the day entertainment. Wishing ill of another human being is in a completely different realm.

If you want to object to how Ralph manages his team - OK. You want to question his decisions - OK. You want him to sell to someone who you believe will be a better owner - OK. You just do not like the guy - OK. You have really strong opinions - express them - constructively.

Like it or not, Ralph owns the team. I, for one, would love to have a situation like Green Bay where I could own a piece myself but that is not reality so who cares? I understand and appreciate the idea that Bills fans are rowdy, passionate outspoken etc. But wishing for someone to die is simply wrong.

Yeah, but he's 90. It's time for him to at least step down and hand the reigns to someone else. It's getting to the point of being ridiculous now. 90 year olds can't even tie their shoes, much less run an NFL franchise (which he is way too involved with). The thought of a 90 year old man in the war room at last years draft is just embarrassing.

Wishing he would die is being insensitive, I agree, but I think the gist of what people are saying is GET OUT OF THE WAY!! Let someone with a sound mind and someone who was born in the latter half of the 20th century run the team. It's no offense to the old timers on this board or in general, but none of us will be running an NFL franchise at 90, and probably 99% of us will be dead or retired.

I don't think Ralph's age has a whole lot to do with his shortcomings as an owner. Aside from the Polian years (I view the early Butler years as a piggyback off the Polian years -- as once Butler's own moves started catching up with him, the team started heading south), this franchise has never been one of the most successful.

I'm being purely objective when I write that the best thing for the team would be for Ralph to sell or die.

Like Quint's note, tho, it's merely a desire for the entity that's holding the team back to get out of the way. I want whatever's going to happen to the franchise, to happen --- tired of the constant limbo and getting kicked in the nuts. May sound heartless, but from an objective pov, one of those two things is what needs to happen for the machination at OBD to change. History has shown that any success the Bills will have is going to happen in spite of how RW operates the team in the modern era.

Even on the worst days, I don't wish RW, the person, physical harm/illness.

I liken the situation to living in a neighborhood where there's a grand old Victorian house on the main corner that's in disrepair. Old man Wilson who lives there who has the means, but won't paint, won't do any landscaping, won't replace a gas range with three out of four non-functional burners, won't fix the leaky roof, won't empty the trash that's accumulated inside the house b/c "Antiques Roadshow" has gone to his head and he thinks everything he owns is worth $2,000-3,000, etc. Pretty much, he doesn't want to do anything beyond emergency absolutely-must-do repairs and changing lightbulbs. Essentially, he's waiting to die. There's a whole host of people who'd like to move in and fix the place up to make it the gem of the neighborhood again. Old man won't sell, tho. He wants to keep living there and watch Matlock reruns, eat half-warm TV dinners and collecting his $900/month Social Security check.

I mean, you're just really disappointed and frustrated by what could be and isn't b/c of a certain mindset. When the old man does go, it'll be sad to see his relations' loss, and I think the people in the neighborhood will more lament the loss of who Mr. Wilson used to be before he started giving everyone his 'old man stares' and yelling at the neighborhood kids to stay 15 feet away from his mailbox. By the time the new person takes over, the foundation may be irreparable and the house may have to be razed but I'd rather know that before the place falls down on itself and/or becomes a crack house.

I'm being purely objective when I write that the best thing for the team would be for Ralph to sell or die.

Like Quint's note, tho, it's merely a desire for the entity that's holding the team back to get out of the way. I want whatever's going to happen to the franchise, to happen --- tired of the constant limbo and getting kicked in the nuts. May sound heartless, but from an objective pov, one of those two things is what needs to happen for the machination at OBD to change. History has shown that any success the Bills will have is going to happen in spite of how RW operates the team in the modern era.

Even on the worst days, I don't wish RW, the person, physical harm/illness.

I liken the situation to living in a neighborhood where there's a grand old Victorian house on the main corner that's in disrepair. Old man Wilson who lives there who has the means, but won't paint, won't do any landscaping, won't replace a gas range with three out of four non-functional burners, won't fix the leaky roof, won't empty the trash that's accumulated inside the house b/c "Antiques Roadshow" has gone to his head and he thinks everything he owns is worth $2,000-3,000, etc. Pretty much, he doesn't want to do anything beyond emergency absolutely-must-do repairs and changing lightbulbs. Essentially, he's waiting to die. There's a whole host of people who'd like to move in and fix the place up to make it the gem of the neighborhood again. Old man won't sell, tho. He wants to keep living there and watch Matlock reruns, eat half-warm TV dinners and collecting his $900/month Social Security check.

I mean, you're just really disappointed and frustrated by what could be and isn't b/c of a certain mindset. When the old man does go, it'll be sad to see his relations' loss, and I think the people in the neighborhood will more lament the loss of who Mr. Wilson used to be before he started giving everyone his 'old man stares' and yelling at the neighborhood kids to stay 15 feet away from his mailbox. By the time the new person takes over, the foundation may be irreparable and the house may have to be razed but I'd rather know that before the place falls down on itself and/or becomes a crack house.

You obviously put a lot of thought into this post ... thank you

I dont like it either......

The day I get mad enough to wish the owner would actually die it is time for me to stop watching football......

I can be plenty @issed at him which I am.

Thank you ... this is what I am trying to get to in this post. Be mad at the guy if you want .... certainly be mad with the lack of results shown by the franchise. The anger does not need to be dustructive in tone towards a person.

I don't think Ralph's age has a whole lot to do with his shortcomings as an owner. Aside from the Polian years (I view the early Butler years as a piggyback off the Polian years -- as once Butler's own moves started catching up with him, the team started heading south), this franchise has never been one of the most successful.

If you really look at it few franchises are consistently sucessful. Teams go up and down. Some with more extremes and some with less time between the troughs (Pittsburg comes to mind).

When Ralph dies, so do the Buffalo Bills. Are "fans" that retarded?

Sadly you are probably correct unless there is a huge and unexpected turnaround in the economy of the region. Given the tepid response in Toronto to the games there I now believe it is less likely they will be relocated to Toronto. I abhor the thought of them going to L.A. ... it is the worst sports town... I was there when the rams and the raiders were there ... people could have cared less. Yeah there is corporate money but nobody is going to care about it when the TV ratings suck because nobody from the market watches the games.

Yeah, but he's 90. It's time for him to at least step down and hand the reigns to someone else. It's getting to the point of being ridiculous now. 90 year olds can't even tie their shoes, much less run an NFL franchise (which he is way too involved with). The thought of a 90 year old man in the war room at last years draft is just embarrassing.

From what I hear, good ol' Ralph could kick your ass in a tennis match. Doesn't he play all the time against his wife, who is on the seniors tour? I seem to recall reading that a year or two ago.

From what I hear, good ol' Ralph could kick your ass in a tennis match. Doesn't he play all the time against his wife, who is on the seniors tour? I seem to recall reading that a year or two ago.

Yes his wife is a seniors champion - I am not sure what his proficiency is.