State of Illinois boycotting Bank of America

It doesn't help when you have to tell people you were fired for "assaulting" a fellow employee. I tell them the truth but who knows what they believe. I've never been unemployed before in my life. My references are stellar and the problem is that there just aren't that many jobs available today.

<_<

Well my first suggestion would be not to tell people that. But anyway, I think we need to hear the story now! Who did you pop in the mouth and why?

I have sent out over 100 resume's.

p.s. Incorrect use of an apostrophe automatically gets a resume a spot in my circular file.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

<_<

Well my first suggestion would be not to tell people that. But anyway, I think we need to hear the story now! Who did you pop in the mouth and why?

He's shared it (not too long ago on the OT board).

At my most cynically untrusting, I'd still have a hard time saying he didn't get !@#$ed over.

It sucks. I've been there (except for the "assaulting a fellow employee" part - I mean, I do it every day, verbally. Just told a guy today he should rub both his IQ points together and start a fire. I'm just not fired for it, for some odd reason.)

I don't know what to tell you, really. Have you considered arson?

Wow, you are one bitter pencil pusher.

Wow, you are one bitter pencil pusher.

Not bitter, cynical. Plus, I'm having a REALLY bad day.

And if you had to deal with the morons I had to deal with (I've spent my entire day undoing the completely avoidable mistakes of three other people), you'd understand.

It sucks. I've been there (except for the "assaulting a fellow employee" part - I mean, I do it every day, verbally. Just told a guy today he should rub both his IQ points together and start a fire. I'm just not fired for it, for some odd reason.)

I don't know what to tell you, really. Have you considered arson?

Others live in my building and I'd feel bad. <_<

I got my certification for being a Pharmacy Tech and there a few jobs available through Strong but it takes multiple times to apply before they call you.

One of the guys in FF league is a director of a hospital pharmacy and I've been holding out on putting in an application to his pharmacy because I didn't want him to feel like he had to hire me but I discussed it with a mutual friend of ours and he thought it would be ok so I submitted it Friday.

BTW, great line! <_<

My favorite is the theory that management candidates are only hired after being taken outside to a hole in the ground. If they ask "Is that my ass?" They're hired on the spot.

And if you had to deal with the morons I had to deal with (I've spent my entire day undoing the completely avoidable mistakes of three other people), you'd understand.

Fair enough. I'll give you a pass today. You better show up tomorrow with a better attitude, you heartless bastard. <_<

<_<

p.s. Incorrect use of an apostrophe automatically gets a resume a spot in my circular file.

About the apostrophe I know better I'm just not in the right frame of mind now.

I didn't pop anyone in the mouth. A friend at my old job is a creationist who found out I didn't have a high opinion of creationists by overhearing a discussion about geology I was having with friend in the lunchroom.

She and I got along really well before this and we'd shake each others shoulders after making a smart-assed comment to each other. Soon after she heard me in the lunchroom I shook her shoulders and she took me to H.R.

No unemployment. I'm pretty sure my old job only gives out dates of hire and leaving so I doubt that's it. I just think if you have 5 candidates and one has had a problem with an employee before who would you hire?

They keep you employed! <_<

Fair enough. I'll give you a pass today. You better show up tomorrow with a better attitude, you heartless bastard. <_<

Not likely. Tomorrow I have to give a demo of some software I wrote to people who think they understand it better than I do even though they were hired last week and have never seen it, and are likely to make pithy software design observations like "Why is that blue? Is that blue? Why? It's not blue? It looks blue. Should it be blue? Let's make it blue."

My expectations for intelligent conversation tomorrow are pretty low.

Not likely. Tomorrow I have to give a demo of some software I wrote to people who think they understand it better than I do even though they were hired last week and have never seen it, and are likely to make pithy software design observations like "Why is that blue? Is that blue? Why? It's not blue? It looks blue. Should it be blue? Let's make it blue."

LOL! Take a lot of deep breaths and think of pink unicorns. It works for me.

Who the hell said anything about charity work.

Oh, I just assumed that because you said that like you were really helping people that it must be charity work.

So you make money off the things you recommend then?

That doesn't sound as great as you seemed to make it. <_<

They keep you employed! <_<

Even though I've quit three times. They just won't let me go. I can't even get fired! The last time I told my managers (I report to five different, clueless people) they weren't doing their jobs and needed to pull their heads out of their asses and manage their teams, they fired SOMEONE ELSE for it! <_< The more blunt I am with them, the more indespensible I seem to be. I'm considering dumping coffee over the client's head tomorrow.

Oh, I just assumed that because you said that like you were really helping people that it must be charity work.

So you make money off the things you recommend then?

That doesn't sound as great as you seemed to make it. <_<

Because help is only help if it's free.

A friend of mine is a computer programmer and I'm sure he's literally done this <_< multiple times.

In one of my old jobs the thing that pissed me off was they would never consult the people who'd be using the programs for what they needed. So they'd slap out some poorly thunk out program and then do fixes on it until it reached viability. Then they'd immediately replace that program with another one. <_<

In one of my old jobs the thing that pissed me off was they would never consult the people who'd be using the programs for what they needed. So they'd slap out some poorly thunk out program and then do fixes on it until it reached viability. Then they'd immediately replace that program with another one. <_<

It's not their fault, though.

The software I'm writing right now (not demo'ing tomorrow), I've asked for two YEARS to talk to the end users. Once - ONCE - we were allowed to sit with them for no more than half an hour and ask two pre-screened questions.

In two weeks, that application goes to user acceptance testing. I've already told them "Don't bother, it's already failed."

Because help is only help if it's free.

That's not what I meant. His attitude was that people should have enough savings to get them through every rough patch in life and that if they didn't have it then it was their fault and he was helping people to avoid that. It seemed his attitude was that his job was altruistic and not something he gets money for.

He didn't seem to understand that most people can't plan for an economy this bad and he has indignation towards those who haven't planned for it.

That's not what I meant. His attitude was that people should have enough savings to get them through every rough patch in life and that if they didn't have it then it was their fault and he was helping people to avoid that. It seemed his attitude was that his job was altruistic and not something he gets money for.

He didn't seem to understand that most people can't plan for an economy this bad and he has indignation towards those who haven't planned for it.

Actually, most people CAN. They just don't. Which was kind-of his point.

It's not their fault, though.

The software I'm writing right now (not demo'ing tomorrow), I've asked for two YEARS to talk to the end users. Once - ONCE - we were allowed to sit with them for no more than half an hour and ask two pre-screened questions.

In two weeks, that application goes to user acceptance testing. I've already told them "Don't bother, it's already failed."

Sorry if it sounded like I was blaming the programmers because I'm not. When I would suggest to management that letting the programmers sit with us would be a very good idea I got looks like I had just said that a Detroit Lion made the pro-bowl.

I had enough savings for six months. How much more should I have had?

That's actually pretty good. Much better than average. Part of your problem is probably that you don't have any other assets to draw on - six months cash is a good cushion depending on how your finances are organized.

When I was canned, I had enough for 6. Got another 6 severance (I had them over a barrel for wrongful termination, they knew it, they finally just said "We'll give you forty thousand to go away. Please.") Stretched it over 14. In a pinch, could draw on credit cards for another six or so.

Now...if I lose ANY income, I'm dead. Not the way I'd prefer things...but I'm married now. Some things are out of my control.