Why Turk needs to go

Fewell733

I am reluctant to pass the harshest judgment on Turk when he has to rely on JP Losman to deliver two weeks in a row, BUT... its clear that there is a massive gulf between the performance of our offense and defense. Minus the Chiefs game, the offense has appeared unprepared coming into the game for almost two months. Our offensive game plans have generally been disastrous. Our blocking schemes seem unprepared for the defenses we're facing, and we make things worse with poor play calling (and even worse play calling inside the red zone when it matters most).

they say that a defense is dependent mostly on pure talent to be effective, but offense is a reflection of coaching and preparation. This is especially the case when you have an offensive line that gives a qb time to throw, as ours has done for the most part. We don't seem to know how to attack a defense. That's Turk's job. Teams with worse talent routinely perform better on offense by understanding the vulnerabilities of a defense.

While I think it's important to limit disruption and starting from scratch, I'm now convinced the Fairchild/Schonert offensive system is not worth preserving. At the very least, we need a new coordinator and a new system that can get the ball in the hands of our play makers.

I am reluctant to pass the harshest judgment on Turk when he has to rely on JP Losman to deliver two weeks in a row, BUT... its clear that there is a massive gulf between the performance of our offense and defense. Minus the Chiefs game, the offense has appeared unprepared coming into the game for almost two months. Our offensive game plans have generally been disastrous. Our blocking schemes seem unprepared for the defenses we're facing, and we make things worse with poor play calling (and even worse play calling inside the red zone when it matters most).

they say that a defense is dependent mostly on pure talent to be effective, but offense is a reflection of coaching and preparation. This is especially the case when you have an offensive line that gives a qb time to throw, as ours has done for the most part. We don't seem to know how to attack a defense. That's Turk's job. Teams with worse talent routinely perform better on offense by understanding the vulnerabilities of a defense.

While I think it's important to limit disruption and starting from scratch, I'm now convinced the Fairchild/Schonert offensive system is not worth preserving. At the very least, we need a new coordinator and a new system that can get the ball in the hands of our play makers.

Who says that?

Who says that?

I'm not sure all the people who've said it, but I've heard it a lot over the years from ex-coaches, GMs, etc.

I happen to believe it's true, since a defense is always, to some degree, reactive, while and offense is a prepared attack, requiring precision timing, and understanding where the strengths and weakness of a defense are. Those things are about preparation rather than talent. The one big caveat is QB play - if you have incompetence at that position that can limit an offense a lot, but it should be able to be managed since a lot of qbs in this league are pretty bad.

POLLOCK: Bills, Mularkey having problems on, off field

ORCHARD PARK — After last week’s media day interview with the Buffalo Bills’ coach, a print reporter delivered a line I wish that I had uncorked.

“Mike Mularkey,” he said, “has morphed into Gregg Williams before our eyes.”

And he was absolutely right.

Last season, for the most part, Mularkey was a delight.

He was bright, friendly, cooperative, forthcoming and showed a sense of humor.

This year, he’s been evasive, defensive, suspicious, disingenuous and occasionally condescending.

Clearly, Mularkey has been organizationally dumbed down — ala Williams — as the Bills’ losses have mounted and a season of great expectations has evaporated into four meaningless games to end a woeful campaign.

Other than the obvious comparison between the seasons in question, why am I dragging up a three-year-old column? Because I've been thinking for a while now that the same thing is happening with Schonert. The three running plays at the end of the Cleveland game, killing the clock at the end of the half, etc., etc. ad nauseum. Is that the OC, or someone else exerting influence from above (as Donahoe did with Mularkey)?

Responsibility starts at the top.