The Harsh Reality

Let me preface by saying I've been a die-hard Bills fan for 30 years. Sadly, I have come to expect the worst from them. I didn't watch a down of the game today because with JP starting, I was pretty certain they'd lay an egg. I felt it coming. Unfortunately, they laid an egg much worse than even I anticipated.

It has been so torturous over the years, I can hardly begin to describe. Some of you older fans know of what I speak. Deep down in your heart, you know. . . you just know that they'll always ultimately crush your hopes.

I have suffered so much, that I now have become apathetic and numb regarding them.

The harsh reality is this: The Bills (and Sabres too), being Buffalo franchises, are at a severe handicap. This is a small, dying market. The ownership groups struggle to make the money that other franchises do. Therefore, their spending is not on par with even average franchises, much less the richer ones. The Bills being way under the cap is such damning evidence of this. It is just a simple truth.

The front office (no real GM), the coaching staff is bargain basement (Jauron is a freakin' joke. Just promoting Turk made me sick. I knew they'd suck on offense), the scouting staff is also not as good as other richer teams as well, obviously. Therefore, with all of these disadvantages, the end result is a weaker team on the field. It would have to be.

Bills fans, you are hoping against hope (and reality) that this team will ever be very good for very long again. The late 80s-early 90s were lightning in a bottle/good luck/Bill Polian-led. Those years were far from the norm. They were the equivalent of the perfect storm. We may get a good year here or there on rare occasion. But, this organization cannot really compete. The norm is they won't.

I'll root for them until the day in the not too distant future that they leave. I'll study their draft picks, be hopeful about the few mid-level FAs they'll bring in, but I'll not be really fooling myself. I'll know the truth: No matter what they do, it won't be enough. . . I am so accustomed to this now, I've accepted the reality. It is part of being a Bills fan.

Oh, and I forgot to add: I don't believe there is any way Jauron gets fired. He will unfortunately be the coach next year. Financial reasons demand it, in Ralph's mind.

Those hoping to see him fired, don't hold your breath. He gets fired at the end of 2009 season at the earliest, and that's if they don't go at least 8-8. If they go 8-8 in 2009, he stays for 2010 too.

Let me preface by saying I've been a die-hard Bills fan for 30 years. Sadly, I have come to expect the worst from them. I didn't watch a down of the game today because with JP starting, I was pretty certain they'd lay an egg. I felt it coming. Unfortunately, they laid an egg much worse than even I anticipated.

It has been so torturous over the years, I can hardly begin to describe. Some of you older fans know of what I speak. Deep down in your heart, you know. . . you just know that they'll always ultimately crush your hopes.

I have suffered so much, that I now have become apathetic and numb regarding them.

The harsh reality is this: The Bills (and Sabres too), being Buffalo franchises, are at a severe handicap. This is a small, dying market. The ownership groups struggle to make the money that other franchises do. Therefore, their spending is not on par with even average franchises, much less the richer ones. The Bills being way under the cap is such damning evidence of this. It is just a simple truth.

The front office (no real GM), the coaching staff is bargain basement (Jauron is a freakin' joke. Just promoting Turk made me sick. I knew they'd suck on offense), the scouting staff is also not as good as other richer teams as well, obviously. Therefore, with all of these disadvantages, the end result is a weaker team on the field. It would have to be.

Bills fans, you are hoping against hope (and reality) that this team will ever be very good for very long again. The late 80s-early 90s were lightning in a bottle/good luck/Bill Polian-led. Those years were far from the norm. They were the equivalent of the perfect storm. We may get a good year here or there on rare occasion. But, this organization cannot really compete. The norm is they won't.

I'll root for them until the day in the not too distant future that they leave. I'll study their draft picks, be hopeful about the few mid-level FAs they'll bring in, but I'll not be really fooling myself. I'll know the truth: No matter what they do, it won't be enough. . . I am so accustomed to this now, I've accepted the reality. It is part of being a Bills fan.

I can tell your words are ringing true, but this is so sad.

I will continue to BILLieve.

Oh, and I forgot to add: I don't believe there is any way Jauron gets fired. He will unfortunately be the coach next year. Financial reasons demand it, in Ralph's mind.

Those hoping to see him fired, don't hold your breath. He gets fired at the end of 2009 season at the earliest, and that's if they don't go at least 8-8. If they go 8-8 in 2009, he stays for 2010 too.

Ralph just blamed the players for these losses, anyway. Right in their locker room after the loss, he stood in front of them and hurled them under the bus. Who knew the old fart had that much strength? :lol:

Ralph just blamed the players for these losses, anyway. Right in their locker room after the loss, he stood in front of them and hurled them under the bus. Who knew the old fart had that much strength? :lol:

;)

Not that the players deserve a pass or anything for their abysmal performance.