I'm Considering Moving From Firefox 2.0 To 3.0

Steely Dan

There is some kind of bug in Firefox that eats up RAM until you close it. Just today I left Firefox open for a few hours when I walked away from the computer. When I cam back the computer was stammering. I looked at my task manager and saw Firefox was sucking up 450MB in RAM! Unfrickin' real. I searched on line for fixes and tried them but they don't seem to work. Otherwise it works fine, but you have to close it every 30 minutes or so before it east all your RAM.

PTR

Pros and cons anyone?

You should have done it months ago.

For me, there is only one drawback. It's going to sound minor, but it bugs the hell out of me.

In 2.0 you could highlight two words, by clicking the space between them. That is no longer the case.

There is some kind of bug in Firefox that eats up RAM until you close it. Just today I left Firefox open for a few hours when I walked away from the computer. When I cam back the computer was stammering. I looked at my task manager and saw Firefox was sucking up 450MB in RAM! Unfrickin' real. I searched on line for fixes and tried them but they don't seem to work. Otherwise it works fine, but you have to close it every 30 minutes or so before it east all your RAM.

PTR

I assume your running 3.0 because when I tested the beta version of 3.0 that kept happening to me. I went back to 2.0 and haven't had any problems since. It sounds like 2.0 is still better.

Pros and cons anyone?

I have had no real problems with 3, and at the same time, it hasn't "wowed" me either.

But then again, it is a web browser, so I am not sure what it needs to do to "wow" me.

Only a few pet peeves:

Looks similar to IE7.

Who ever came up with the concept of disabling the "Awesome" bar had to be harder than it had to be needs to be shot. A simple check box in the options area would have sufficed. But nooooooo ...

Firefox 3 uses less memory than Firefox 2, for the record.

Here are some comparisons between the two.

http://www.go2linux.org/firefox-3-vs-firefox-2

http://rumblinglankan.com/pros-and-cons-of-firefox-3/

Those were written a while back. Most of the bugs are fixed, most (popular) plugins have been updated to work with FF3.

The features of the address bar takes some getting used to, I still have mixed opinions. But, it can be set to work like the FF2 address bar, for those who can't, or don't want to, adjust./

Can anyone tell me what the fix is for what PTR is experiencing because when I ran 3.0 before, the browser would crash every thirty minutes or so and it was really annoying. I went to the help section of Firefox and they suggested a fix and after I did it the browser only crashed every 45 minutes. :lol:

Can anyone tell me what the fix is for what PTR is experiencing because when I ran 3.0 before, the browser would crash every thirty minutes or so and it was really annoying. I went to the help section of Firefox and they suggested a fix and after I did it the browser only crashed every 45 minutes. :lol:

Given what you have told me you have on your computer, I'm guessing you have bigger issues with your machine than the browser. You might want to have someone look at it to straighten it out.

Firefox 3 uses less memory than Firefox 2, for the record.

Here are some comparisons between the two.

http://www.go2linux.org/firefox-3-vs-firefox-2

http://rumblinglankan.com/pros-and-cons-of-firefox-3/

Those were written a while back. Most of the bugs are fixed, most (popular) plugins have been updated to work with FF3.

The features of the address bar takes some getting used to, I still have mixed opinions. But, it can be set to work like the FF2 address bar, for those who can't, or don't want to, adjust./

Memory wise, I have no issue with FF3. I have had a copy open since about 10AM this morning. Not a hitch wrong.

As for the "Awesome" bar, my biggest beef is the 'attitude' surrounding it. I understand some people will like it, and others will not. For those of us who do not, why do we have to go download an extension? Why can't we just change the configuration? Oh, wait, we can? But we cannot do it the options area, because there is no option for that. So after some searching, I find out you have to hack the config file. During my research, I came across an article (interview?) someone did with one of the developers. The developers attitude was something along the lines of "Use it, you'll love it, and you will thank us later". We get that "we knows what's best" crap from MS. That's why I hate using their junk.

Given what you have told me you have on your computer, I'm guessing you have bigger issues with your machine than the browser. You might want to have someone look at it to straighten it out.

It worked great before 3.0 sucked after 3.0 works great with 2.0. No problems with any other files or folders. I'm sure this isn't a larger problem.

I just backed up my bookmarks and I think I'll try it soon. I'll letcha know how it works out.

Memory wise, I have no issue with FF3. I have had a copy open since about 10AM this morning. Not a hitch wrong.

As for the "Awesome" bar, my biggest beef is the 'attitude' surrounding it. I understand some people will like it, and others will not. For those of us who do not, why do we have to go download an extension? Why can't we just change the configuration?

I agree.

Ok this is being typed into Firefox 3.0 and I already have a beef with it. I have to control + a couple of times because my eyes aren't all that great. When I used to do that in 2.0 it kept everything in one frame on the screen. Now if I enlarge it I have to use the slidebar back and forth to see it the whole page. I'm getting a headache just looking at this while I type. It also enlarges everything except the text!! :lol:

Ok this is being typed into Firefox 3.0 and I already have a beef with it. I have to control + a couple of times because my eyes aren't all that great. When I used to do that in 2.0 it kept everything in one frame on the screen. Now if I enlarge it I have to use the slidebar back and forth to see it the whole page. I'm getting a headache just looking at this while I type. It also enlarges everything except the text!! :lol:

I'm using 3.0.4, and I just tried the control +, and EVERYTHING got bigger. Don't know why, but check your settings somewhere. Maybe something about default text or something.

Also, anyone using more than one computer should try the add-on called Foxmarks. I use 3 computers, and I LOVE FOXMARKS. All your bookmarks stay synchronized. WONDERFUL ADD-ON!

You have a problem, that is not the way it works in FF3.

I'm using 3.0.4, and I just tried the control +, and EVERYTHING got bigger. Don't know why, but check your settings somewhere. Maybe something about default text or something.

Also, anyone using more than one computer should try the add-on called Foxmarks. I use 3 computers, and I LOVE FOXMARKS. All your bookmarks stay synchronized. WONDERFUL ADD-ON!

I went tools, options, content, font size and it makes no difference. The smiley's are huge the buttons above this are huge and this window is so big that it doesn't fit the whole screen.

Help?

Deano?