On this date in history - December 7th 1941

/dev/null

My father was stationed on Ford Island in the late 40s-early 50s during the Korean War. There was no Arizona Memorial yet, just the twisted burnt superstructure poking up above the water. The also had left a lot of the bullet holes in in the hangars to remind the servicemen what had happened.

:bag:

The Death of 3,500 Americans is something really funny to joke about on a somber day. B-)

I always wanted to write a book about the battleships that survived Pearl Harbor. Most people don't know...but five of the six (West Virginia, California, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, and Maryland) fought in Surigao Straits at Leyte Gulf, and destroyed part of the Japanese fleet in the last battleship action ever. I always thought it would be an interesting narrative to trace their histories from Pearl Harbor to Surigao.

I always wanted to write a book about the battleships that survived Pearl Harbor. Most people don't know...but five of the six (West Virginia, California, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, and Maryland) fought in Surigao Straits at Leyte Gulf, and destroyed part of the Japanese fleet in the last battleship action ever. I always thought it would be an interesting narrative to trace their histories from Pearl Harbor to Surigao.

They "crossed the T" there. That whole battle was pretty fascinating. My uncle was on the New Jersey chasing off after the Jap carriers at the time leaving the other straight unprotected.

They "crossed the T" there. That whole battle was pretty fascinating. My uncle was on the New Jersey chasing off after the Jap carriers at the time leaving the other straight unprotected.

San Bernadino Straits was the other. Kurita's Northern Force vs. Sprague's "Taffys". I still think that's one of the most heroic feats of American arms ever, and still think Ziggy Sprague deserved a Medal of Honor for it (rather than "only" a Navy Cross).

San Bernadino Straits was the other. Kurita's Northern Force vs. Sprague's "Taffys". I still think that's one of the most heroic feats of American arms ever, and still think Ziggy Sprague deserved a Medal of Honor for it (rather than "only" a Navy Cross).

I read this book last summer and just loved it. http://www.largeprintreviews.com/seathunder.html

I thought he did a wonderful job telling the story of this incredible battle. Halsey crying on the bridge of the New Jersey when he found out he had made a mistake was wierd. The Darter and the Dace adventure. The men that went into the water with sharks all around them. B-)