The intolerant bigotry of the conservative right, rises again

I do agree with you about the disgusting pictures, I do not need to see them either. Of course Edwords uses that argument to justify having his sign up. So his sign is not an attack on Christmas? :)

I don't see it so much as an attack on Christmas as much as making a statement that people don't need religion to be moral.

Finally I do not think I understand what you mean about the Salvation Army advertising. Please explain.

The Salvation Army is a huge Christian organization. They are the "Salvation Army" for a reason. A lot of people have forgotten about that and just see it as a generic charity. It's not.

So that's my response to your post Steely Dan. How high I rate on the intolerant bigot conservative right scale to you?

Flame away haters, and Merry Christmas. :huh:

I think anyone who wants religions removed from public lands and public fundings are right to believe that. It's the intolerance on either side that is disturbing. Neither side is completely right or wrong. I think the point here is to keep your beliefs to yourself but if you can't then opposing views must be allowed as well.

Like there's never been an incident in recorded history of a Creche being stolen/disfigured/violated/or shat upon.

You are truly a tool.

Merry blackness to youse and urine.

May the Piss Christ let you drink deeply from his cup.

I never said there hasn't been attacks on Christian symbols I just have yet to find an opposing view on public land that has not been attacked.

This was in reaction to an equally stupid thread that was about liberal intolerance, I'm fairly certain.

Did you bash Cincy for that thread, too?

Exactly. I was trying to see who was really on the side of freedom of speech and who was against it when the tables were turned.

So? If a large Christian display can be put on public land why can't a small

Atheistic plaque be put up?

I have no problem with the Atheists wanting to have a display. I believe in freedom of speech for all in this country.

What I want to know is why did the Atheists have to put a sign up that is very negative to all religions? Could'nt they have put something up with a more positive message? Perhaps they could have made a visual display celebrating the Winter Solstice. Am I being too unreasonable for asking for that?

How big is the nativity scene, how much did it cost and how long did it take to put up? Yes, that's elaborate in my definition.

The Atheists sign is a simple plaque stating their views. The nativity scene is stating that the world exists only because of God and his son and the only way to morality is through Christianity. It isn't written on the display but it's definitely there. What if a Satanic display was put up first?

Alright, I see how you are defining elaborate, I take it you do not think the Nativity scene is an extreme display. I still do not see the Nativity scene as a negative display, or as a means to put other religions down, but I guess we respectfully disagree on this.

The point they make about the Winter Solstice is a valid point. The Winter Solstice was being celebrated long before Christmas. It's a semi-tongue in cheek way of saying Christmas has highjacked the Winter Solstice.

Ok so the Winter Solstice was being celebrated before Christmas. I hardly think that Christmas has hijacked it though. Christmas is only one day and Winter Solstice lasts for three months.

The fact that Christian groups are not the only groups offering assistance to people.

I still think it was more a publicity move and a way to get everyone's attention.(More to come. I have too many quotes to make it into one post.)

This was in reaction to an equally stupid thread that was about liberal intolerance, I'm fairly certain.

Did you bash Cincy for that thread, too?

No Dean. I don't set my watch by the happenings here on The Wall. But Oneonta is goring an ox here for the sake of goring an ox which is a fool's errand he's perfectly suited for... cut and paste, cut and paste, cut and paste.

Did Oneonta bash Serrano?

As to freedom of speech, I haven't heard of the vast right wing conspiracy trying to shut down any liberal radio stations or newspapers. They seem to be closing because no one is buying their clap trap anymore. Contrast that to the liberals who are dying to shut up conservative radio, etc.

Frankly, I don't care what anyone else's views are. If someone doesn't believe in Gosh, I hope they have a merry nothing, a very long and meaningless self-centered existence and realize on their deathbed they're facing a vacuous empty black nothingness. I just wish they'd spend a wee bit less time on telling other how to live their lives in the here and now, and encouraging the government to coerce their views on the general population. Cheers!

No Dean. I don't set my watch by the happenings here on The Wall. But Oneonta is goring an ox here for the sake of goring an ox which is a fool's errand he's perfectly suited for... cut and paste, cut and paste, cut and paste.

As to freedom of speech, I haven't heard of the vast right wing conspiracy trying to shut down any liberal radio stations or newspapers. They seem to be closing because no one is buying their clap trap anymore. Contrast that to the liberals who are dying to shut up conservative radio, etc.

Frankly, I don't care what anyone else's views are. If someone doesn't believe in Gosh, I hope they have a merry nothing, a very long and meaningless self-centered existence and realize on their deathbed they're facing a vacuous empty black nothingness. I just wish they'd spend a wee bit less time on telling other how to live their lives in the here and now, and encouraging the government to coerce their views on the general population. Cheers!

Dont know what to say.Thank you?

What I want to know is why did the Atheists have to put a sign up that is very negative to all religions? Could'nt they have put something up with a more positive message?

They could have and I would prefer that they did so. But they have their right to put up a tool-ish message too. I'm sure that whoever the a-hole was who put up the sign (an a-hole not for his beliefs, but just for being an obvious jerkoff), was annoyed by the wealth of "You're going to hell" signs and the like he sees. I know I am.

I have to admit I know nothing about "liberals who are dying to shut up conservative radio, etc.", so I really can't comment on it.

As for the bolded remark, I don't disagree, and believe this is true for BOTH (or should I say, "all") sides of these issues. But, as I have pointed out, elsewhere, the views of the "faithful" are in our faces 24/7, and they are incessantly telling us how to live our lives. Perhaps, if those complaining about atheist displays had shown some outrage over ubiquitous and obnoxious public displays of (and public financial support of) religious doctrine and dogma, atheists would feel less of a need to be so public and forceful with their views.

One phrase you used was interesting, IMO. Atheists are part of the "general population", as are those who practice religions outside of Christianity. Now, I'm not suggesting that you meant anything sinister about it, as you seem like a decent sort, and are usually pretty thoughtful. But, I see in many posts (when the topic is the treatment of a traditionally oppressed group, or the public actions/reactions of those groups) a sense of "Us" vs "Them", with "Them" being the outside group, and "Us" representing the traditional status quo. IMO, We are all Us...we are all "the general population".

Like there's never been an incident in recorded history of a Creche being stolen/disfigured/violated/or shat upon.

You are truly a tool.

Merry blackness to youse and urine.

May the Piss Christ let you drink deeply from his cup.

Another Christian poser. :rolleyes:

Hey, Christian poser think about it. The atheists aren't telling others how to live their lives. They want the Christian advertisements out of government. Are they saying that courthouses should have plaques saying "God doesn't exist" or "Since there is no god he couldn't possibly bless America" or "There is no God" on our money or to have legislative meetings start with a statement of the non-existence of God?

It's always nice to see the Christians claim that atheists are trying to shove a lifestyle down our throats. It's funny as Heaven!

Do Atheist groups get a tax break like churches? They are afterall a non-prophet organization :P

:thumbdown:

I wonder how many people got that.

:thumbdown:

"Ok so the Winter Solstice was being celebrated before Christmas. I hardly think that Christmas has hijacked it though. Christmas is only one day and Winter Solstice lasts for three months"

Heu ... The winter solstice actually happens the shortest day of the year... not during three months... and it's well known that early christians put christmas near that moment to "steal" what was for a very long time before a period of celebrations ... in fact when you read the Bible it's obvious the story of the birth of Jesus does not take place in winter (even if winters are mild in Palestine) ... shepherds don't pass nights outside watching their sheep and looking at the stars at the end of december!

There are religious liberals, and conservative atheists. This is really a misguided thread designed only to provoke a right/left fight for no apparent reason. The real question is whether it is right or wrong to post signs that denounce the beliefs of others.

The reason I started this thread is to see how many of those in the "The intolerant bigotry of the liberal left, rises again" thread would keep true to their beliefs.