The intolerant bigotry of the conservative right, rises again

Link

An atheist sign criticizing Christianity that was erected alongside a Nativity scene was taken from the Legislative Building in Olympia, Washington, on Friday and later found in a ditch.

Ok, it's acceptable to have an elaborate Christian display on public land but not an Atheistic display that is a lot less grandiose? It seems I hear a lot more about Christians destroying Atheistic things than the other way around.

In Washington, D.C., the American Humanist Association began a bus ad campaign this month questioning belief in God.

"Why believe in a God?" the advertisement asks. "Just be good for goodness sake."

That ad has caused the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority to field hundreds of complaints, the group said, but it has heard just as much positive feedback, said Fred Edwords, the association's spokesman.

Edwords said the ad campaign, which features a shrugging Santa Claus, was not meant to attack Christmas but rather to reach out to an untapped audience.

Edwords maintains the campaign began in December mostly because the group had extra money left over for the year. The connection to Christmas is a coincidence, he said.

"There are a lot of people out there who don't know there are organizations like ours to serve their needs," Edwords said. "The thing is, to reach a minority group, in order to be heard, everyone in the room has to hear you, even when they don't want to."

The ad campaign, Edwords said, is to make people think. He said he doesn't expect to "convert" anyone.

But the Christian Coalition of America is urging members to oppose the advertisements.

"Although a number of humanists and atheists continue to attempt to rid God and Christmas from the public square, the American people are overwhelmingly opposed to such efforts," Roberta Combs, the group's president said in a press release.

"We will ask our millions of supporters to call the city of Washington, D.C., and Congress to stop this un-Godly campaign."

As far as the criticism goes, Edwords said there are far more controversial placards in Washington.

"That's D.C. -- this is a political center," he said. "If I can see a placard with dead fetuses on it, I think someone can look at our question and just think about it."

A disgusting ad is ok but a Santa ad asking why anyone needs a God in order to be good for goodness sake is deplorable. It's a public forum. If I can see ads in the local paper for churches then I don't see why this is an issue at all. Oh, I forgot Christian good, Atheist bad.

Before the Christians go off on the whole they are trying to get God out of everything think about this. The sign next to the nativity wasn't trying to get God out of there but to make their message heard as much, if not less, than the Christians and why is that bad?

The anger over the display in Olympia began after it was assembled Monday. The sentiment grew after some national media personalities called upon viewers to flood the phone lines of the governor's office.

The governor's office told The Seattle Times it received more than 200 calls an hour afterward.

And 200 calls equals 5,000,000,000 people. :unsure:

"We will ask our millions of supporters to call the city of Washington, D.C., and Congress to stop this un-Godly campaign."

Yes, their message in the public forum is bad but advertisements for the Salvation Army are ok?!

If 1,000 people called about a Salvation Army ad it would be totally disregarded.

:P

Anyhoo, it's a very valid point. The right on this board wants to ignore it because it doesn't look good for them.

It's not a "right vs. left" issue, it's a "stupid people with too much time on their hands vs. people who ignore them" issue.

Now which side of the line are you on again?

Link

An atheist sign criticizing Christianity that was erected alongside a Nativity scene was taken from the Legislative Building in Olympia, Washington, on Friday and later found in a ditch.

Ok, it's acceptable to have an elaborate Christian display on public land but not an Atheistic display that is a lot less grandiose? It seems I hear a lot more about Christians destroying Atheistic things than the other way around.

In Washington, D.C., the American Humanist Association began a bus ad campaign this month questioning belief in God.

"Why believe in a God?" the advertisement asks. "Just be good for goodness sake."

That ad has caused the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority to field hundreds of complaints, the group said, but it has heard just as much positive feedback, said Fred Edwords, the association's spokesman.

Edwords said the ad campaign, which features a shrugging Santa Claus, was not meant to attack Christmas but rather to reach out to an untapped audience.

Edwords maintains the campaign began in December mostly because the group had extra money left over for the year. The connection to Christmas is a coincidence, he said.

"There are a lot of people out there who don't know there are organizations like ours to serve their needs," Edwords said. "The thing is, to reach a minority group, in order to be heard, everyone in the room has to hear you, even when they don't want to."

The ad campaign, Edwords said, is to make people think. He said he doesn't expect to "convert" anyone.

But the Christian Coalition of America is urging members to oppose the advertisements.

"Although a number of humanists and atheists continue to attempt to rid God and Christmas from the public square, the American people are overwhelmingly opposed to such efforts," Roberta Combs, the group's president said in a press release.

As far as the criticism goes, Edwords said there are far more controversial placards in Washington.

"That's D.C. -- this is a political center," he said. "If I can see a placard with dead fetuses on it, I think someone can look at our question and just think about it."

A disgusting ad is ok but a Santa ad asking why anyone needs a God in order to be good for goodness sake is deplorable. It's a public forum. If I can see ads in the local paper for churches then I don't see why this is an issue at all. Oh, I forgot Christian good, Atheist bad.

Before the Christians go off on the whole they are trying to get God out of everything think about this. The sign next to the nativity wasn't trying to get God out of there but to make their message heard as much, if not less, than the Christians and why is that bad?

The anger over the display in Olympia began after it was assembled Monday. The sentiment grew after some national media personalities called upon viewers to flood the phone lines of the governor's office.

The governor's office told The Seattle Times it received more than 200 calls an hour afterward.

And 200 calls equals 5,000,000,000 people. :P

Yes, their message in the public forum is bad but advertisements for the Salvation Army are ok?!

If 1,000 people called about a Salvation Army ad it would be totally disregarded.

Alright Steely Dan, I shall be the first intolerant bigot of the conservative right to respond to your post. Especially since you enjoy stirring the pot. :beer:

Before I get into this, let me just say that even though we may disagree on this subject we are still Bills fans, and that is what is most important. :wacko:

As you can see I highlighted the areas I wanted to dissect. I will go over these in order.

First of all the atheist sign was not criticizing Christianity, it was criticizing all religions.

Second, you really think that a nativity scene is an elaborate Christian display? You also said the atheist sign was far less grandiose. I disagree and here is why. The nativity scene celebrates the birth of Jesus Christ. It is a Christian religious display. The display does not display any negative feeling towards other religious or non-religious beliefs.

The atheist sign clearly states that "Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds." The sign clearly goes out of it's way to denegrate all religions. So I ask you Steely Dan, you really believe the atheist sign is far less grandiose?

Now onto the "Why believe in a God?" statement.

I find this ad campaign to be more silly. Still I will say, why do they have to put "Why believe in a God?" on their ad. Why can't they put "Just be good for goodness sakes", and be done with it?

Also Edwords saying the ad is not meant to attack Christmas, is ridiculous. It may not be an attack, but he knew it would be provacative. He knew it would catch people's attention. It was a complete publicity move.

Then Edwords says that the ad was made to make people think. Think about what? If his ad is not about attacking Christmas, just what are we supposed to think about when we see that ad?

I do agree with you about the disgusting pictures, I do not need to see them either. Of course Edwords uses that argument to justify having his sign up. So his sign is not an attack on Christmas? :beer:

Finally I do not think I understand what you mean about the Salvation Army advertising. Please explain.

So that's my response to your post Steely Dan. How high I rate on the intolerant bigot conservative right scale to you?

Flame away haters, and Merry Christmas. :lol:

I don't see it focused at Christianity, it's against all religion.

Christians are are taught to; accept, forgive, turn the other cheek etc.

The author should take his message to Pakistan, set it up in Kabul, during Ramadan, and see how tolerant the Talliban is.

Why not here and there?

Like Christianity, Islam also teaches peace. The way their followers interpret their religions is the real problem, isn't it? I will bet dollars to donuts that the person who stole that sign was a "Christian" who was supposedly taught to turn the other cheek.

As far as this whole situation is concerned, I find preaching atheism as offensive as preaching Christianity, or any other religion. But, since we, as a society, expect Jews, Hindus, Buddhists and atheists to accept symbols/proclamations of Christianity in public places, shouldn't we expect Christians to be accepting of public displays with which they disagree?

Why not here and there?

Like Christianity, Islam also teaches peace. The way their followers interpret their religions is the real problem, isn't it? I will bet dollars to donuts that the person who stole that sign was a "Christian" who was supposedly taught to turn the other cheek.

As far as this whole situation is concerned, I find preaching atheism as offensive as preaching Christianity, or any other religion. But, since we, as a society, expect Jews, Hindus, Buddhists and atheists to accept symbols/proclamations of Christianity in public places, shouldn't we expect Christians to be accepting of public displays with which they disagree?

I do not have a problem with the atheist community wanting to have a display. I am all for freedom of speech.

My problem is that the atheist sign is negative and is meant to demean all religions.

The nativity scene is not negative and does not attack other religions.

Instead of putting up a sign saying how bad religion is, could'nt the atheists have put up something symbolic of the winter solstice?

I do not have a problem with the atheist community wanting to have a display. I am all for freedom of speech.

My problem is that the atheist sign is negative and is meant to demean all religions.

The nativity scene is not negative and does not attack other religions.

Instead of putting up a sign saying how bad religion is, could'nt the atheists have put up something symbolic of the winter solstice?

I don't disagree, with your assessment of the display. I can't say that I am a fan of the sign, itself.

Even so, it should not have been removed.

For the record, I support the right of these idiots to their public displays:

http://www.godhatesfags.com/

Link

Like there's never been an incident in recorded history of a Creche being stolen/disfigured/violated/or shat upon.

You are truly a tool.

Merry blackness to youse and urine.

May the Piss Christ let you drink deeply from his cup.

Like there's never been an incident in recorded history of a Creche being stolen/disfigured/violated/or shat upon.

You are truly a tool.

Merry blackness to youse and urine.

May the Piss Christ let you drink deeply from his cup.

This was in reaction to an equally stupid thread that was about liberal intolerance, I'm fairly certain.

Did you bash Cincy for that thread, too?

Reading through this crap it's hard to disagree that religion is a pain in the ass. I've always said, if it gives people comfort, great. Just enjoy your personal comfort and let me enjoy mine in my own way. These days people of various religions, and people of no religion, are hell-bent to shove THEIR beliefs down others' throats.

It is pretty funny that people freak out when someone objects to a Christmas tree...then the same people freak out over a stupid sign. Why can't they just ignore the stupid sign? And the tree? Why are these things all such a big deal.

Go live someplace where you don't know when you'll get your next meal. You might find the perspective helpful

It's not a "right vs. left" issue, it's a "stupid people with too much time on their hands vs. people who ignore them" issue.

Now which side of the line are you on again?

I'm on the side of the left most of the time but to be honest I didn't start this thread to just "stir the pot" I think there are a lot of valid issues here on the other side of Cincy's thread.

Alright Steely Dan, I shall be the first intolerant bigot of the conservative right to respond to your post. Especially since you enjoy stirring the pot. :nana:

Before I get into this, let me just say that even though we may disagree on this subject we are still Bills fans, and that is what is most important. :)

As you can see I highlighted the areas I wanted to dissect. I will go over these in order.

I agree there. :huh: (In my Tim Russert) Go Bills!

First of all the atheist sign was not criticizing Christianity, it was criticizing all religions.

So? If a large Christian display can be put on public land why can't a small

Atheistic plaque be put up?

This is a big part of the point I'm trying to make and that is the Christians fight tooth and nail to keep things like the ten commandments up in courthouses but they get mad when an opposing view requests the same right. This is why I favor no religious affiliation in the government at all.

Second, you really think that a nativity scene is an elaborate Christian display? You also said the atheist sign was far less grandiose. I disagree and here is why. The nativity scene celebrates the birth of Jesus Christ. It is a Christian religious display. The display does not display any negative feeling towards other religious or non-religious beliefs.

The atheist sign clearly states that "Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds." The sign clearly goes out of it's way to denegrate all religions. So I ask you Steely Dan, you really believe the atheist sign is far less grandiose?

How big is the nativity scene, how much did it cost and how long did it take to put up? Yes, that's elaborate in my definition.

The Atheists sign is a simple plaque stating their views. The nativity scene is stating that the world exists only because of God and his son and the only way to morality is through Christianity. It isn't written on the display but it's definitely there. What if a Satanic display was put up first?

Now onto the "Why believe in a God?" statement.

I find this ad campaign to be more silly. Still I will say, why do they have to put "Why believe in a God?" on their ad. Why can't they put "Just be good for goodness sakes", and be done with it?

Why do Christians have to include the word Christmas in everything and get really upset when a tree at K-Mart is called a "holiday tree" and not a Christmas tree? Since Hanukkah, Kwanza and winter solstice are all celebrated in December. Christmas may be the most popular celebration but there is nothing wrong with advertising "holiday" things instead of "Christmas" things. The use of plants in celebration of the winter solstice is a very long tradition that began much before Christmas..

The point they make about the Winter Solstice is a valid point. The Winter Solstice was being celebrated long before Christmas. It's a semi-tongue in cheek way of saying Christmas has highjacked the Winter Solstice.

Also Edwords saying the ad is not meant to attack Christmas, is ridiculous. It may not be an attack, but he knew it would be provacative. He knew it would catch people's attention. It was a complete publicity move.

Then Edwords says that the ad was made to make people think. Think about what? If his ad is not about attacking Christmas, just what are we supposed to think about when we see that ad?

The fact that Christian groups are not the only groups offering assistance to people.

(More to come. I have too many quotes to make it into one post.)