Tampa 2 or Cover 2 what do the stats say vs 3-4

BuffaloBill

Several posts on the board, some of mine included, argued that the Tampa 2 is a bad defensive scheme. Vs the 3-4 the data does not necessarily say this is the case. The data shows that they can be comparable. What seems to matter most is execution. Look at the data:

Arguably the Tampa or Cover 2 defense was popularized in Tampa and Chicago going back 6 seasons. The Current teams play it (Ranking in Parenthesis):

Tampa (4)

Chicago (17)

Detroit (31)

Kansas City (32)

Indianapolis (15)

Buffalo (12)

Of this group - Indy and Tampa are the only two likely playoff teams. Only one - the team playing the scheme the longest - is in the top 5 with the remainder being in the middle of the league at best.

the 3-4 Defense:

Pittsburgh (1)

Baltimore (2)

Cleveland (26)

San Fran (23)

New York Jets (19)

New England (13)

Miami (18)

Out of this group some combination of three are likely to make the playoffs with Pitt being one of them.

Coaching, players and execution matter - scheme is less important.

I don't know where all this 3-4 talk came from. It seems random. Our D has played well this year. Is it the fact that our O can't do squat against a 3-4?

I guess people are just sick of opposing RBs not having 200 yard rushing days against the Bills.

I guess people are just sick of opposing RBs not having 200 yard rushing days against the Bills.

The worst part is people seem to think we have the personnel to make an immediate switch to the 3-4. Crazy! The secondary is set but Puz is the only capable LB and Stroud is the only capable DL. We're short three LBs, one of whom has to be a DE/LB tweener pass rushing fiend. We're also short two DEs.

The worst part is people seem to think we have the personnel to make an immediate switch to the 3-4. Crazy! The secondary is set but Puz is the only capable LB and Stroud is the only capable DL. We're short three LBs, one of whom has to be a DE/LB tweener pass rushing fiend. We're also short two DEs.

I just :worthy: when I read this stuff. Snap your fingers and guys that have no agility will instantly become coverage LBs, etc. :w00t:

I have no support for the 3-4 I was only trying to say that the silver bullet does not land with the scheme. You have to have the right players a good coaching staff and the will to win. It is the latter two that the Bills lack.

The best defenses play the scheme that fits their staff. The middling ones stick to a scheme even if it's against their talent. And Kansas City and Detroit just have Arena-league talent. Note that both TRADED AWAY their best defensive linemen this spring.

Amen