The New Coach of the Bills is...

Steve Spagnuolo, current defense coordinator of the New York Giants. He has fielded one of the best units in the last couple of years. Including the fact that they lost both starting DE's from last year. He is the total opposite of Jauron, which I think is needed. If he becomes the coach and the Bills get a decent DE to start opposite of Schobel we got a winner.

He'd be my first choice as well.

If we go with an unproven HC, I do like this pick. I still prefer a proven HC like a Mariucci, Billick, or Cowher (list Cowher last as I think he is the least likely of the 3 to come here). Maybe even Schottenheimer too...mainly because there is so much that goes into running a team as a HC and it is so hard to tell if these coordinators can adapt. Mularkey, Gregg Williams, and so many others were highly touted coordinators who just weren't able to make the leap.

Sure, there are some that become great coaches...but we have a young team and I think our young team that is learning on the job would be better led by someone that wasnt also learning on the job. They need veteran leadership here from a proven and qualified coach.

Again, if we go with the unproven guy, at least in terms of being a HC, then I do like him, but I will still much prefer someone who has proven to be able to take a mediocre or bad team and turn them into a contender or champion.

Mariucci did with the 49ers when everyone said it would be a decade before they could recover.

Billick won a Super Bowl with Balt who wasnt any good at all when he got there.

Cowher took over a bad Pitt team and made them a consistent powerhouse in the AFC with multiple super bowl trips and a super bowl trophy.

Marty has built winners everywhere he has been.

I think there are a handful of coordinator level guys who really stand out - Spagnolo, Russ Grimm, and Josh McDaniels. Plus a wild-card in Raheem Morris.

I'd say the Marty/Schotty/Billick kind of guys are more likely to get a team to the playoffs in the next five years, but the next Super Bowl to be won by a coach who's not an HC right now is probably going to be won by a current coordinator.

Steve Spagnuolo, current defense coordinator of the New York Giants. He has fielded one of the best units in the last couple of years. Including the fact that they lost both starting DE's from last year. He is the total opposite of Jauron, which I think is needed. If he becomes the coach and the Bills get a decent DE to start opposite of Schobel we got a winner.

You mean the Schobel who has been a non-factor for the past 3 seasons and is gonna be 32 and has been injured this year after doing absolutely nothing before he was injured?? that guy?

If we go with an unproven HC, I do like this pick. I still prefer a proven HC like a Mariucci, Billick, or Cowher (list Cowher last as I think he is the least likely of the 3 to come here). Maybe even Schottenheimer too...mainly because there is so much that goes into running a team as a HC and it is so hard to tell if these coordinators can adapt. Mularkey, Gregg Williams, and so many others were highly touted coordinators who just weren't able to make the leap.

Sure, there are some that become great coaches...but we have a young team and I think our young team that is learning on the job would be better led by someone that wasnt also learning on the job. They need veteran leadership here from a proven and qualified coach.

Excuse me? What you're saying is wrong. It clearly flies in the face of the recent successes of what Atlanta, Miami, Baltimore and Pittsburgh two years ago have done in regards to hiring a head coach. Three of those teams hired guys who weren't even experienced as coordinators. What they did was hire guys who were excellent football coaches that were smart, demanding and strong minded.

You guys can keep talking about Williams and Malarkey till your blue in the face but the problem with those picks is that neither had substance, nor depth. Williams apparently got the job because he came with a bunch of lists and Malarkey had ties to Donahoe, who thought that it would be a good fit because he knew the guy. I don't think either one of them got the job because they were thought of as great football coaches.

Raheem Morris is a guy that should get attention by whoever is hiring the next coach because it's been said he has the qualities of Mike Tomlin. Someone who is simply a very good coach with the qualities to be a head coach. He's very young, Monte Kiffin has raved about him, Rhonde Barber has raved about him, he's said to bring a very dynamic and passionate approach to his coaching style. You're nuts if you discount a guy like him in favor of yet another retread who has never one anything. The Bills should go the way of the league and hire a guy who may be young but has the same tools as all of those other rookie coaches (and Tomlin) that have been kicking ass in the league this year, two of them have done it with rookie QBs no less.

If he isn't hired this year as a head coach he will become the Steve Spagnuolo a year from now. Another coach that the Bills have no shot at because there is no way they'll get into a bidding war for the coach on the top of every team's wish list. The time for the Bills to hire Spagnuolo was last year, they will no doubt get outbid by another team for his services this year. You just wait and see.

Cowher is my number one choice but it won't happen, so I like Schottenheimer if we're picking from former HCs. If we go the Co-ordinator route I'm definately feeling Spagnuolo. I also like McDaniels because he is the architect of some mean offenses, not to mention the fact that he's made Cassel look good.

I'm also giving a nod to Jim Mora. Even if he didn't get us to the playoffs at least the post-game press conferences would be hilarious. Playoffs!? PLAYOFFS!?

Guest dog14787

I just wish Jim Kelly would get more involved with the team from a coaching perspective, maybe QB coach or something first if he doesn't want to jump in to deep, but hey, I would be tickled pink if JK was our next OC or HC.

Considering we missed out on the last Giants DC who was HC material I hope this time around Ralphie Boy, or whoever makes the decision, does not try to out-think himself...I think Spagnuolo would be an excellent choice...And even though he's a DC, maybe He'd bring a little bit of that Run Offense with Him too... :worthy: