Went to look at the new Verizon smartphones

PromoTheRobot

I can't get AT&T service where I live. Otherwise I'd have an iPhone. I did get an iPod Touch, the "almost" iPhone. It's my binky. I never go anywhere without it. I browse TBD on it, check my e-mail, watch videos, listen to streaming audio, play games, etc.

I've seen ads for the Samsung Omnia and Blackberry Storm so I decide to go to my Verizon store and see what they are like. One thing about my iPod, I never had to "learn" how to use it. Everything is intuitive, you just figure it out because stuff makes sense. The moment I had the Omnia and Storm in my hand I had no idea what to do. And when I did manage to open a browser or an app I couldn't get anything to work...and neither could any Verizon employee. Both devices were confusing, clunky and frustrating to use.

I have decided that I'll just wait for AT&T to get to my town because I know if I got any other smartphone other than the iPhone, I would just hate it. I read somewhere that Apple offered the iPhone to Verizon first but they turned it down. That's like the record company that turned down the Beatles.

PTR

That's interesting. The Blackberry Storm is getting very good reviews, for the most part. Here's a summary of some of them:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechn...of-reviews.html

I still avoid any phone that doesn't have "hard keys"...and I have a deep dislike for touch screens. Call me an old fuddy-duddy.

That's interesting. The Blackberry Storm is getting very good reviews, for the most part. Here's a summary of some of them:

I still avoid any phone that doesn't have "hard keys"...and I have a deep dislike for touch screens. Call me an old fuddy-duddy.

I hear you... I never really warmed up to those new fangled ribbonless typewriters either.

:P:P

You're an old fuddy-duddy! :P

I have no idea how I got by without the iPhone. It really is everything it is advertised as, and more. When they ever add an app to read pdf's or Office word/excel/pp files and give you the capability to cut/paste, then I'd have no use for my desktop or laptop.

Welcome to the Old Fuddy-Duddy Collective. Resistance is futile. :P

Milwaukee Ice...check.

Rock 'n Rye...check.

Metamucil...check.

Dry toast...check.

B.P. meter...check.

Cigarettes...check.

Crossword puzzles...check.

AM radio...check.

:P

I have no idea how I got by without the iPhone. It really is everything it is advertised as, and more. When they ever add an app to read pdf's or Office word/excel/pp files and give you the capability to cut/paste, then I'd have no use for my desktop or laptop.

I can already read PDFs and word docs in my mail app. No cut-n-paste. Not sure about excel/pp. Likely not.

As for touchscreen typing, I don't do much writing in mine. That said I have no trouble with it. Plus Apple has auto word correct so if I f*** up it usually knows what I meant anyway.

I found the Storm touchscreen to be very inaccurate, especially when typing. I'd be pressing "e" and "w" would type. Also zooming in a web page is tricky. I'm so used to just "pinching" the screen of my iPod. The Omnia needs a stylus to hit the tiny buttons it uses, but there's no place to keep a stylus in the Omnia! DUH! What pointy-haired manager thought that was a good idea?

Lastly, the VZapp store is a joke compared to the iTunes app store. They have like 13 crappy apps vs 10,000 and growing daily on iTunes. The only thing my iPod can't do is run the audio editing software I use for work, but it would nit surprise me if there will be an app like that within a few months. The other companies can just quit now.

PTR

Although I've been considering a Crackberry for a while now, I've heard bad things about the Storm. And since I'd be using it primarily to write and surf, I'm with Dean -- real keys, pleez.

Although I've been considering a Crackberry for a while now, I've heard bad things about the Storm. And since I'd be using it primarily to write and surf, I'm with Dean -- real keys, pleez.

Well none of those smartphones surf very well at all. Trust me. It's like looking at a web page through a toilet paper tube. Seriously, go to an ATT store and ask to play with an iPhone. Try the touch key pad. Then go to a Verizon outlet and try the Storm. It's night and day.

Then again, if you live in the boonies, you may only be able to get certain providers like Verizon.

PTR

I live in the boonies. No AT+T here. I've talked to a few writers who have the Curve, and it seems to work just fine for them.

Oh, and I'm currently "surfing" in the shallow end of the pool (Motorola E815), so this would still be an upgrade.

Well none of those smartphones surf very well at all. Trust me. It's like looking at a web page through a toilet paper tube. Seriously, go to an ATT store and ask to play with an iPhone. Try the touch key pad. Then go to a Verizon outlet and try the Storm. It's night and day.

Then again, if you live in the boonies, you may only be able to get certain providers like Verizon.

PTR

To me, that makes a bit of a difference. I'm not looking for a full-time web browser, and I have ZERO interest in watching video, or using it as an iPod...but a decent browser would be important, for the occasional times I need it. The browser on my old Palm 650 was fairly useless, most of the time. To me, the most important thing is that it is a VERY good phone, scheduling calendar and email machine that can open, and edit, any attachment I am likely to get.

I have the Storm and love it compared to the iPhone. I've had the iPhone since it came out, but after you use it for 6 months, it becomes bogged down, and the screen starts to act up. I took mine into the Apple store 3 different times, had them reprogram it, and it still wouldn't work like when I first got it. The apps are cool, but not as cool as advertised. It almost seems like they release the first versions of them before testing everything out.

I got the Storm last month, and have loved it so far. I haven't had any problems typing with it, but I'm used to the iPhone so that may have something to do with it. Don't get me wrong, the iPhone is good, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the Storm.

Have you added "Fake-a-Call?" It's awesome.