Trent Edwards

The 51 yarder to evans was a frozen rope showing above average arm strength in the game vs the chiefs, while evans was covered. He also had a very nice td pass to evans that went 70 yards in the dolphins game last year, About 50 yards in the air. Obviously it's not Jay Cutler strong, but it's certinally above average. Arm strength is an overrated aspect. Give me the intermediate stuff, and the ability to get yards after the catch. You don't make a living in the nfl being able to throw it 80 yards. You certinally don't run an offense like that. Why it's a concern is irrelevant. It's not that he "doesn't have the arm strength" It's when the opportunity presents itself you have to take your shots. Slow developing pass plays, are not the bread and butter of any nfl team, or a qb. Even guys like Jay Cutler who has accuracy to go with his wicked strong arm, don't throw it 50 yards 30+ times a game.

Hey I love the short high percentage passes as well as the intermediate ones, Buffalo has players that can run after the catch for those. But I like a QB who can scare the hell out of a defense by being able to throw the ball 80 yards.

Culpepper can throw the ball 80 yards and I ain't afraid of him.

Trent just allowed himself to be pulled from the most important game of the year and fake a groin injury to cover both his own azz and his lame coaches' azzes. It ain't his arm that has failed. It's his heart and his mind.

I hate his !@#$ing guts right now.

Trent just allowed himself to be pulled from the most important game of the year and fake a groin injury to cover both his own azz and his lame coaches' azzes. It ain't his arm that has failed. It's his heart and his mind.

I hate his !@#$ing guts right now.

If you really believe that he faked a groin injury & missed practice today to make it look good, you need mental help.

The 51 yarder to evans was a frozen rope showing above average arm strength in the game vs the chiefs, while evans was covered. He also had a very nice td pass to evans that went 70 yards in the dolphins game last year, About 50 yards in the air. Obviously it's not Jay Cutler strong, but it's certinally above average. Arm strength is an overrated aspect. Give me the intermediate stuff, and the ability to get yards after the catch. You don't make a living in the nfl being able to throw it 80 yards. You certinally don't run an offense like that. Why it's a concern is irrelevant. It's not that he "doesn't have the arm strength" It's when the opportunity presents itself you have to take your shots. Slow developing pass plays, are not the bread and butter of any nfl team, or a qb. Even guys like Jay Cutler who has accuracy to go with his wicked strong arm, don't throw it 50 yards 30+ times a game.

100% right. I couldn't agree more.

Quarterbacking is all about these 4 things:

1. Pocket awarenes/presence.

2. Ability to read defenses/coverages.

3. Going through your progressions.

4. Accuracy (duh!) and touch.

A cannon arm is just a bonus. You have to be able to go deep and get a good 40, 50 yards of air under your pass while maintianing accuracy, but this 80-yard bomb throwing business is useless. Look at Jamarcus Russell. You don't hail mary often either.

Hey I love the short high percentage passes as well as the intermediate ones, Buffalo has players that can run after the catch for those. But I like a QB who can scare the hell out of a defense by being able to throw the ball 80 yards.

QB's that have both accuracy and the ability to beat the blitz are the scariest in the league- ability to throw the deep outs is a plus but not mandatory

QB's that have both accuracy and the ability to beat the blitz are the scariest in the league- ability to throw the deep outs is a plus but not mandatory

Eh. An NFL QB needs to be able to do more than push the ball in through the paint and score layups, sorry. Kelly Holcomb clones can only do so much, like get you to 7-9 against a feeble dance card.

Eh. An NFL QB needs to be able to do more than push the ball in through the paint and score layups, sorry. Kelly Holcomb clones can only do so much, like get you to 7-9 against a feeble dance card.

Holcomb struggled against the blitz and had minimal protection from the line. No QB will be all that good unless you protect them

It doesn't matter. He doesn't throw the ball deep.

Amen. It's not the arm. It's his cautious approach to the game. Looks to me like he's become more cautious as the season has worn on. Looks like a confidence problem to me. Have to remember, these are young guys under a lot of pressure trying to do something that is very difficult. His poise is lacking. He's lost his mojo.

Amen. It's not the arm. It's his cautious approach to the game. Looks to me like he's become more cautious as the season has worn on. Looks like a confidence problem to me. Have to remember, these are young guys under a lot of pressure trying to do something that is very difficult. His poise is lacking. He's lost his mojo.

Thank you! I feel like its the influence of DJ but who knows really.

Correct. And now, you must take your theories of Trent's destroyed confidence to its logical ultimate conclusion. He will take any chance he gets to run and hide. Just so happens that his coach needed to give a good reason why he'd bench him the same week he promised that he'd NEVER do that with him, so in their mutual lameness, POOF!, a groin injury. One that didn't, apparently, necessitate a single minute of trainer room time or MRI or other tests when it was finally "discovered". These doofuses couldn't even plan that one simple little deception well, that's what's so !@#$ing silly about all this. They left the idiot on the SIDELINES the entire second half, in the FREEZING COLD, when, if they really wanted to sell this injury, they'd have PARADED him into the locker room in front of 72,000 fans to see.

This whole bunch is a !@#$ing joke. !@#$ his arm. I want his head.

On this topic I have an opinion that is different from most. I do questions Trent's:

Leadership

ability to read a defense

desire to win

ability to play in less than perfect weather

desire to leave the house in less than perfect weather

horric tendency towards turnovers

and other things.

I do not question his arm strength. I did, but I

erased any doubt.

Agree with your first two points. But if a QB cannot throw the deep out he won't be considered for the the job of NFL QB. It's an absolute must to be able to throw the deep out from the far hash. It's a 'must have' requirement. That simple.

GO BILLS!!!

that was the loopiest frozen rope ive seen in my life. He heaved that with a good arc--the same way a 13 year old kid with a good arm would.

His arm is adequate--BARELY--for this league.