Mort

BeastMode54

Mort is right for once. On a side note has anyone heard from Tim Graham since we've been losing his daughter was born?

Fixed, although he does still write about the Bills on the blog. He was pulled off the Browns game because of the iffy weather forecast, but he'll be in Toronto.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I think this team would be in better shape today, had Tom Donohoe not been fired, and I don't even think he didin't deserve it...I think Mort is right...not saying Jauron deserves to keep his job, but the dysfunctional set up at One Bills Drive makes the pool of coaching and front office candidates pretty small for the Bills. There is a better than average chance, I would say, that the next person/people in charge, won't fair much better, unless Mr Wilson changes the way he operates this team...that doesn't appear likely to happen...but we can hope!

I agree 100% with this post.

Look at how Jauron was even considered for the job, let alone hired. He had an edge because he was an Ivy Leaguer from Chicago and a defensive back. This of course endeared him to Marv, but the real reason he was hired is because he works cheap. Seriously, would Marty Schottenheimer work for what Jauron makes?

Jauron is 58. It wasn't like taking a chance on a young coach. He was a proven loser who nobody else wanted.

The thing is, Ralph COULD hire a good coach. I don't believe for 1 minute that good coaches won't come here. I think that it all comes down to Ralph not wanting to pay them. Offer Marty 6 mil. per season and the weather in WNY won't look so bad, or so I think.

You want the bad news? The really freaking bad news is that if Jauron is fired, Marv will be the first person to cross Ralph's mind. Does anybody seriously dispute this? He is a perfect fit. Nobody wants him, he will work for pennies as compared to other coaches, Ralph will think that he will sell tickets, and he will draft first round defensive backs. B-)

Look at how Jauron was even considered for the job, let alone hired. He had an edge because he was an Ivy Leaguer from Chicago and a defensive back. This of course endeared him to Marv, but the real reason he was hired is because he works cheap. Seriously, would Marty Schottenheimer work for what Jauron makes?

Jauron is 58. It wasn't like taking a chance on a young coach. He was a proven loser who nobody else wanted.

The thing is, Ralph COULD hire a good coach. I don't believe for 1 minute that good coaches won't come here. I think that it all comes down to Ralph not wanting to pay them. Offer Marty 6 mil. per season and the weather in WNY won't look so bad, or so I think.

You want the bad news? The really freaking bad news is that if Jauron is fired, Marv will be the first person to cross Ralph's mind. Does anybody seriously dispute this? He is a perfect fit. Nobody wants him, he will work for pennies as compared to other coaches, Ralph will think that he will sell tickets, and he will draft first round defensive backs. B-)

I don't know, but I seem to remeber when Marv resigned from the GM position, he made some thinly veiled criticisms of Ralph, or at least the restraints that he (Ralph) but on the franchise. I sensed some frustration on Marv's part, more than his stated "I have so many other things I want to do in life"....I am sure you are right, he would cross Ralph's mind, but now, I seriously doubt Ralph could even attract Marv here...which is saying something.

Ralph may have picked the wrong guy in TD, but, I think, his hiring was the first, and maybe only, sound decision Wilson has made concerning the state of this franchise in at least 15 years. I think the success he had with the "retread" Marv Levy, and that unproven "nobody" in a young Bill Polian, is almost a curse...Ralph keeps thinking we hit the "almost perfect storm" once, we can do it again". TD was a variance from the plan. I think, becuause the team didn't fare well with TD, it was back to the "its' better to be cheap and maybe get lucky" business model....it is a hell of a lot cheaper than spending money, trying to buy a champion...I am getting pissed too....

I have to disagree with you- first off, with all the taxes in that area, whatever Wilson would pay is worth less than the coach would get for the same $$$$ elsewhere. Second, no coach that is worth anything want a meddling owner to undermine him.

I couldn't picture Schottenheimer in Buffalo or Oakland

Yes Mort is right, 50%of the people posting on this board state the same thing. It's OK for use ot say it, but not him as he's an outsider. Its the same as it's OK for you to tell people your sister is ugly, but don't let the neighbor say that.

You hit the nail on the head with this post. Anybody ever think just once that we as Bills fans with our lack of patience & behavior to run everybody out of town the moment they are at a crossrodes or the moment they do not pay immediate dividends to the team are getting exactly what we deserve?

Mort is just telling the truth. Although he could of been a little more tactfull about it.

The only time it may work out better is occasionally when a new QB comes to a decent team, then they can develop faster. Ideally the smart thing to do would be have some old re-tread at QB build the team around him, then when you have all the other pieces in place, you dump him and bring in the young stud. Even then, it may take him two years.

In a way that's kind of the Bills' problem, they have a decent team just looking at their starters. No team can afford 22 pro bowl caliper players anyway. Out of 22 starting players, there are maybe four I'd like to improve on TE, C, DE and OLB. But once any of the starters get hurt (which they did) there's little depth here. The yare still in that improving mold.

It's not even just the Bills, it's the new mentality for most teams. Look at Drew Brees in San Diego. He came in with high expectations, played like a rookie and they drafted another QB. Low and behold, his 3rd year of playing time he turned into a stud.

It takes time for most players to develop. It's rare that a QB comes to the NFL and doesn't struggle for the first couple years. But keep throwing them in the trash and starting over looking for the miracle QB....brilliant.

I have to disagree with you- first off, with all the taxes in that area, whatever Wilson would pay is worth less than the coach would get for the same $$$$ elsewhere. Second, no coach that is worth anything want a meddling owner to undermine him.

I couldn't picture Schottenheimer in Buffalo or Oakland

He coached in San Diego, no? NY isn't the only NFL state with high taxes. Give him enough money and he coaches here. Gibbs coached for Snyder, who might be worse than Ralph in terms of meddling.

I don't know, but I seem to remeber when Marv resigned from the GM position, he made some thinly veiled criticisms of Ralph, or at least the restraints that he (Ralph) but on the franchise. I sensed some frustration on Marv's part, more than his stated "I have so many other things I want to do in life"....I am sure you are right, he would cross Ralph's mind, but now, I seriously doubt Ralph could even attract Marv here...which is saying something.

Ralph may have picked the wrong guy in TD, but, I think, his hiring was the first, and maybe only, sound decision Wilson has made concerning the state of this franchise in at least 15 years. I think the success he had with the "retread" Marv Levy, and that unproven "nobody" in a young Bill Polian, is almost a curse...Ralph keeps thinking we hit the "almost perfect storm" once, we can do it again". TD was a variance from the plan. I think, becuause the team didn't fare well with TD, it was back to the "its' better to be cheap and maybe get lucky" business model....it is a hell of a lot cheaper than spending money, trying to buy a champion...I am getting pissed too....

I think it's pretty clear that Marv would rather have been the coach again in 2006, not GM... I wouldn't be surprised if he's recently asked Ralph to bring him back as coach lol.

But I agree 100% with your take on TD... TD made some critical mistakes that ended up killing him here (ie. Mike Williams, Bledsoe trade/extension, GW, Meathead) but it was a very sound move at the time by Ralph, especially when compared to the royal cluster!@#$ that happened after TD got fired.