R.I.P., Warner Hessler

Lori

http://www.legacy.com/dailypress/DeathNoti...sonId=120787120

A bit out of date, but I just found out about it myself a short time ago. My apologies. For you young'uns: Before its untimely departure in 1982, the Courier-Express used to do daily battle with the Evening News. (And a long time before that, one Samuel Langhorne Clemens edited the Express for a spell. You might know him better as Mark Twain ...)

Hessler covered the Bills during the Simpson years, then switched to the Sabres, before leaving for the Redskins beat at the Hampton Roads (Va.) Daily Press when the C-E went under. He was also the Bills correspondent for Pro Football Weekly during part of his stint in WNY. A column on the Juice, circa 1977: O.J. accepts ‘Impossible Dream’

Rest well, Mr. Hessler.

A bit out of date, but I just found out about it myself a short time ago. My apologies. For you young'uns: Before its untimely departure in 1982, the Courier-Express used to do daily battle with the Evening News. (And a long time before that, one Samuel Langhorne Clemens edited the Express for a spell. You might know him better as Mark Twain ...)

Hessler covered the Bills during the Simpson years, then switched to the Sabres, before leaving for the Redskins beat at the Hampton Roads (Va.) Daily Press when the C-E went under. He was also the Bills correspondent for Pro Football Weekly during part of his stint in WNY. A column on the Juice, circa 1977: O.J. accepts ‘Impossible Dream’

Rest well, Mr. Hessler.

wow thats a name from the past...R I P

Rest well, Mr. Hessler.

younger guy than I thought....was just a kid in 1970 when he started with the courier

A column on the Juice, circa 1977: O.J. accepts ‘Impossible Dream’

Great find, thanks Lori. You know, there were some really interesting parts in that story:

His one consolation over the years was playing with one of the best offensive units in football. But that unit has been broken up. There’s no more Ahmad Rashad or Mike Montler or J.D. Hill or Donnie Green.

“I don’t like it when I realize I’ll never be able to play with Montler again. Or Rashad. I look around at the teams that are good, and they never seem to lose this kind of player.

The Bills’ inability to build a winner around him in eight years is a blow that even a ton of rushing records can’t soften.

Seems like the more things change, the more they stay the same. These sound like the kind of things we're still saying about the team, 30 years later.

More:

“When I get out, I can say, ‘Well, Juice, you can look back on a lot of good things. I’ve been very fortunate, although I have to admit it would have been satisfying to play for an organization like Oakland or Pittsburgh or Dallas.

But he didn’t. He started with a loser, and will probably finish with a loser. Through it all, Simpson has been a winner.

Damn. Substitute some names from the recent past...Moulds, maybe. Or even some names from the present, like Evans. The song remains the same, eh?

Seeing as how that quote was written in 1977? I see no problem with posting it in November 2008, or December 2008 for that matter. I think we're all familiar with Mr. Simpson's actions 15 years after Hessler wrote about him.

Hard to belive there was a time with a morning paper AND a afternoon paper-anywhere.

The courier seemed like the better paper plus it was the only Sunday paper in town thats why many people subscribed just for the sunday paper. On my paper route I had about 40 regular morning, 10 more wed and sunday only and another 25 sunday only. The courier dropped the papers off in a box we had in front of the house and had to deliver the colors on saturday since as a carrier we had to put it all together for sunday delivery. The News at one time had an early afternoon and evening addition.

These were the days before the internet and people actually read news papers