Wouldya look at this!

Calling Christopher Hitchens "a lefty" is more outrageous a thought than "a lefty for Bush" although I am sure there are some that exist, I have just never seen or met one. Calling Hitchens "a lefty" is like calling Zell Miller or Ron Silver or Dennis Miller a lefty. Regardless of their former incarnations, they do not resemble a lefty or think of themselves a lefty or believe in or say virtually anything "lefty".

Calling Christopher Hitchens "a lefty" is more outrageous a thought than "a lefty for Bush" although I am sure there are some that exist, I have just never seen or met one. Calling Hitchens "a lefty" is like calling Zell Miller or Ron Silver or Dennis Miller a lefty. Regardless of their former incarnations, they do not resemble a lefty or think of themselves a lefty or believe in or say virtually anything "lefty".

87553[/snapback]

Now, Kelly, you know I like you, right? You know I respect (some) of your opinions, yes?

BUT COME ON! The guy writes for the Nation!! Probably THE most liberal rag in the country! You don't get on staff there by being anything right of well, left. <_<

Now, Kelly, you know I like you, right? You know I respect (some) of your opinions, yes?

BUT COME ON! The guy writes for the Nation!! Probably THE most liberal rag in the country! You don't get on staff there by being anything right of well, left. <_<

87556[/snapback]

I know what The Nation is, and what it stands for, although I can honestly say that I never read it. I have, however, seen and read Chjristopher Hitchens for years and years and would never ever ever think or him as a lefty. He is one of those guys that seemed like a liberal as a youth and now goes way way way out of his way to attack them at every single opportunity. He has hated all things Clinton for a decade and I never see him say anything positive about the DEmocrats as a whole or individuals.

I know what The Nation is, and what it stands for, although I can honestly say that I never read it. I have, however, seen and read Chjristopher Hitchens for years and years and would never ever ever think or him as a lefty. He is one of those guys that seemed like a liberal as a youth and now goes way way way out of his way to attack them at every single opportunity. He has hated all things Clinton for a decade and I never see him say anything positive about the DEmocrats as a whole or individuals.

87573[/snapback]

Guess he's onto something.

So what precisely is the big deal if a person of one party supports someone from the other party? What does that mean?

That they think for themselves?

That they think more of the platform than party lines?

Is that so bad?

Yesterday I read an article written by a pro-life Libertarian who stated that for the first time in over 40 years of voting he was voting Democratic. So what? As a matter of fact I am married to a pro-life Libertarian who for the first time is voting Democratic.

What does that mean? Does it mean all pro-life Libertarians are defecting to the Democratic party? Does one person's opinion in The Nation mean that liberals are embracing Bush?

I think not. It just means that we have differences. Put away the champagne boys and get back to work.

So what precisely is the big deal if a person of one party supports someone from the other party?  What does that mean?

That they think for themselves?

That they think more of the platform than party lines?

Is that so bad?

Yesterday I read an article written by a pro-life Libertarian who stated that for the first time in over 40 years of voting he was voting Democratic.  So what?  As a matter of fact I am married to a pro-life Libertarian who for the first time is voting Democratic.

What does that mean?  Does it mean all pro-life Libertarians are defecting to the Democratic party?  Does one person's opinion in The Nation mean that liberals are embracing Bush?

I think not.  It just means that we have differences.  Put away the champagne boys and get back to work.

87586[/snapback]

Hypocrite. You just posted this the other day.

http://205.134.161.85/forums/index.php?showtopic=7308

He's sobered up and came to his senses.

He used to always come on Dennis Miller's HBO show with a drink in is hands.

The last few times I have seen him, he has appeared much more articulate and alert.

Hypocrite.  You just posted this the other day. 

http://205.134.161.85/forums/index.php?showtopic=7308

87654[/snapback]

And what was my comment on the article?

Oops! There was none! There was no conclusion! There was even no opinion!

How about that?

But again, it's so nice to know that certain piles of RKFast have nothing better to do that to wait to personally skewer me. I'm glad to give them all a raison d'etre.

87573[/snapback]

Sometimes the role of a believer is to bring sanity to others. For example, he writes:

You don't like "smirking"? What about the endless smirks and smarmy hints about the Administration's difficulties, whether genuine or self-imposed? The all-knowing, stupid smirks about the "secular" Saddam, or the innocuousness of prewar Iraq? The sneers about the astonishing success of our forces in Afghanistan, who are now hypocritically praised by many who opposed their initial deployment? This is to say nothing of the paranoid innuendoes I don't have to name that are now part of pseudo-"radical" rumor-mongering and defamation. Whichever candidate wins, I shall live to see these smirks banished, at least.

I know first hand as a Republican just moved from conservative Texas back to left-wing Boulder, CO the difficulty of taking comfort in either position. In Texas I think some of my friends thought I was a closet Democrat. In Boulder I am probably regarded by some as a fascist.

Honesty from within should be highly regarded. There are many of us who take no pride in siding with or explaining the idiocy or even the evil of fellow believers. He continues:

"Anybody But Bush"--and this from those who decry simple-mindedness--is now the only glue binding the radical left to the Democratic Party right. The amazing thing is the literalness with which the mantra is chanted. Anybody? Including Muqtada al-Sadr? The chilling answer is, quite often, yes. This is nihilism. Actually, it's nihilism at best. If it isn't treason to the country--let us by all means not go there--it is certainly treason to the principles of the left.

To be left or right does not equate to being thoughtless or uncritical. Too many partisans are spending too much time doing damage control for the mistakes of the guy they support. How much more refreshing (and liberating) is it to be able to say to your comrades:

An irony of history, in the positive sense, is when Republicans are willing to risk a dangerous confrontation with an untenable and indefensible status quo.

Did not the Dem's once upon a time believe that they were the crusaders against evil and injustice? Has that position been abdicated to the hated right? Does not the author lament such a thing? Would he not embarrass Kerry in total if he were "also capable of saying this, but not without cheapening it or qualifying it." ?

When we get to the point our blathering, foaming at the mouth fanaticism stands in the way of doing, thinking or standing up for what is right, then we essentially believe in nothing of consequence.

And what was my comment on the article?

Oops!  There was none!  There was no conclusion!  There was even no opinion! 

How about that?

But again, it's so nice to know that certain piles of RKFast have nothing better to do that to wait to personally skewer me.  I'm glad to give them all a raison d'etre.

87996[/snapback]

You comment was:

I'm not trying to twist anything. In several ways the Administration's policies stray very far from conservative, which a true conservative recognizes.

Of course you were the first to post when a "conservative" magazine maybe endorsed Kerry. But get pissy when someone points out a lib doing the same.

Like I said, hypocrite.

I could care less on what anyone thinks. Of course that is because unlike most around here, I actually have a brain and am more than a mouthpiece for the idiots. But you go ahead and think what you said and did is any different.

Looks like Hitchens is an undecided voter. The link is from 5 days later than his Nation column.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2108714/

"Christopher Hitchens, Contributor: Kerry

I am assuming for now that this is a single-issue election. There is one's subjective vote, one's objective vote, and one's ironic vote. Subjectively, Bush (and Blair) deserve to be re-elected because they called the enemy by its right name and were determined to confront it. Objectively, Bush deserves to be sacked for his flabbergasting failure to prepare for such an essential confrontation. Subjectively, Kerry should be put in the pillory for his inability to hold up on principle under any kind of pressure. Objectively, his election would compel mainstream and liberal Democrats to get real about Iraq."

What a friggin' flip-flopper, but strangely enough I agree with his overall assessment.

Let me do it!  Let me do it!

<insert name> is nothing more than a Republican claiming to be a Democrat!

Flightsuit!

Halliburton!

87533[/snapback]

No Darin you could be the objective, hater of both parties and simply post a link to the Bush Cousins for Kerry site that's out there to counter this post.