The intolerant bigotry of the liberal left

Here's a true life story about me. I was talking to someone at work about the dinosaurs and general geological events. A woman who overheard us turned around and said "You know that's all BS, right? The world is only 10,000 years old. Read the bible." She was a friend of mine and I let it go.

later that week she told me she was going to report me to HR about shaking her shoulders one day. For five years we had been doing that to each other and I told her that I would lose my medical benefits if I was fired. She knows I have cancer but she said I deserved to be fired.

So she blew a molehill into a mountain and I was fired. Those people can be really petty and in my opinion dangerous.

Because of her accusation I can't get unemployment. I touched her and she complained case closed.

Also a friend of mine there saw my dinosaur eating a Jesus fish plastic sticker on the back window of my car and asked me about it. I said it was a message to creationists. Turns out he was a creationist and never spoke to me again.

They are mostly A-holes.

Thus demonstrating my point: it ain't the belief that's dangerous. It's the action.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What he said.

From the article.

"It is one of the most egregiously and breathtakingly unconstitutional actions by a state legislature that I've ever seen," said Edwin F. Kagin, national legal director of Parsippany, N.J.-based American Atheists Inc. The group claims the law violates both the state and U.S. constitutions.

B-)

Kentucky has been at the center of a series of legal battles involving religious issues in recent years, most involving displays of the Ten Commandments in public buildings. One case went to the U.S. Supreme Court, which ruled in 2005 that such displays inside courthouses in two counties were unconstitutional.

Here's a true life story about me. I was talking to someone at work about the dinosaurs and general geological events. A woman who overheard us turned around and said "You know that's all BS, right? The world is only 10,000 years old. Read the bible." She was a friend of mine and I let it go.

later that week she told me she was going to report me to HR about shaking her shoulders one day. For five years we had been doing that to each other and I told her that I would lose my medical benefits if I was fired. She knows I have cancer but she said I deserved to be fired.

So she blew a molehill into a mountain and I was fired. Those people can be really petty and in my opinion dangerous.

Because of her accusation I can't get unemployment. I touched her and she complained case closed.

Also a friend of mine there saw my dinosaur eating a Jesus fish plastic sticker on the back window of my car and asked me about it. I said it was a message to creationists. Turns out he was a creationist and never spoke to me again.

They are mostly A-holes.

Would a homosexual with a calculator fit that description? :lol:

Good luck with your health even if you did call me a"elitist Christian" not 12 hours ago.

Secularism is just as much a religion as anything else. It has defined doctrines that no other religion but "IT" is the sole source of public dissemination, that all sources of information by anyone with a creed other than their own must be rejected, buzz-words/labels are more important than debating issues, and freedom of expression and speech will only be allowed if they agree while using caustic ridicule to anything that is disagreeable.

I'm certainly not a creationist, but I find arguments for intelligent design to be not plausible by definite based on metaphysical arguments, and while I find some of the silliness of creationism to be a bit over the top, I find the same anti-intellectual argumentation to spill over to intelligent design to the point of stifling debate and using the court, and not ideas, as the principle of the debate.

The people who use the words hate and bigotry are the most hypocritical bunch I've met by and large. You can't debate a secularist who pushes their religion while simultaneously telling you not to push your religion on their religion they are pushing and promoting. Just because their religion doesn't have "Methodist", "Catholic", "Jewish", on their cold building they believe they are exempt from being a religion. The traditional meaning of religion is far more vast than the destruction of language to imply only institutional deist communities. When Aristotle said man is "essentially religious" he wasn't talking Christianity, as it didn't exist.

Do you think using big words makes your ideas look intelligent? Secularists don't want religion in government sponsored programs at all. I don't know a single secularist who is against religion in churches or in homes or on bumper stickers on cars.

The "In your face" argument is silly. It's not in your face, it's stop from pushing your religion in my face.You can claim the secularists are as bad as the Christians who want Christianity all over the place but it's a stupid argument. If Christianity is allowed in governmental areas then Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism and any other religion that wants to be placed in courts and post offices and SS offices etc. have to be allowed to put stuff up as well. It's a quagmire that can be avoided by not letting any religious articles of any kind in government.

Good luck with your health even if you did call me a "elitist Christian" not 12 hours ago.

?

No, BAD call.

Becuase Im not defending creationism, nor am I advocate FOR this museum. Im pointing out how yet again, we have a "tolerant" liberal bashing other's opinions and at the same time, having the audacity to accuse OTHERS of "hate."

I certainly wasn't advocating against the Museum's existence (or for it, for that matter). I think the issue here is the Museum's attempt to use the Zoo, an established SCIENTIFIC institution, in a cross-promotion. What this appears to be, is a poorly veiled attempt for this RELIGIOUS institution to co-opt the scientific legitimacy of the, publicly funded, Zoo.

Your problem, and that of Cincy and some others, is you are attempting to suggest that this is some sort of attack on free speech. If they were protesting the Museum, itself, you may have a point.

They are mostly A-holes.

Would a homosexual with a calculator fit that description? B-)

First of all, I'm very sorry to hear about your health and I wish you a quick and pain free recovery.

I'm also sorry to hear about your experiences. Yes, there are a-holes in this world who are 'Christian'. It is unconscienable that some who truly tries to follow the teachings of Christ would do something so evil. But I respectfully disagree that most are a-holes. While I consider myself to be a rough around the edges, work in progress, I have met some of the most amazing, selfless people through some of the churches I've attended. If i can fill even one of their shoes, I'll consider myself successful.

Please don't let a few experiences completely influence your view of all Christians. One does not need to be a believer to lead a moral, ethical life, but for most Christians I associate with, it has helped them immensely.

I also have a few (two) firends who struggled with addiction that told me the only way they got sober was through a miracle of God, that they never could've made it through what they've been through without His presence in their life. They weren't believers before (at least one wasn't), and have since led a rightous life and done a complete 180.

Okay, enough for one post. I just wanted to post to let you know that while there are some incredibly screwed up people in this world who call themselves Christians, there are many, many more who do walk the walk. It does seem that many here on this board have major issues with people of faith, and that's okay too.

First of all, I'm very sorry to hear about your health and I wish you a quick and pain free recovery.

I'm also sorry to hear about your experiences. Yes, there are a-holes in this world who are 'Christian'. It is unconscienable that some who truly tries to follow the teachings of Christ would do something so evil. But I respectfully disagree that most are a-holes. While I consider myself to be a rough around the edges, work in progress, I have met some of the most amazing, selfless people through some of the churches I've attended. If i can fill even one of their shoes, I'll consider myself successful.

Please don't let a few experiences completely influence your view of all Christians. One does not need to be a believer to lead a moral, ethical life, but for most Christians I associate with, it has helped them immensely.

I also have a few (two) firends who struggled with addiction that told me the only way they got sober was through a miracle of God, that they never could've made it through what they've been through without His presence in their life. They weren't believers before (at least one wasn't), and have since led a rightous life and done a complete 180.

Okay, enough for one post. I just wanted to post to let you know that while there are some incredibly screwed up people in this world who call themselves Christians, there are many, many more who do walk the walk. It does seem that many here on this board have major issues with people of faith, and that's okay too.

I know many people of faith...more or less "traditional faith". Some came to it via struggles like drugs, or abuse...others have been religious their entire life. Only a few of these people seriously believe in Creation (or at least admit to it). Those few people are among the dumbest humans I know. Now, I'm simply reporting this, and not drawing conclusions. But, in my life, among the people I know, the Creationists are some of the dumbest. Most of the religious folks I know dismiss the Creation story as a metaphor, a story, etc.

This is purely anecdotal, and not meant to mean more than that.

I know it sucks when the judiciary enforces the constitution. You're right that majority rule should be the way of the country. B-) Because blacks would still be eating at different counters than whites if it was majority rule. Just because the "majority" believes something doesn't make it constitutional. Our country wasn't founded on a deny people their rights platform.

Why should we argue with an elitist Christian?

How many kids up for adoption do you know that come from great homes?

Did you get your kids inoculated against contact gay?

Thats the 12 hours. Good luck anyway

I certainly wasn't advocating against the Museum's existence (or for it, for that matter). I think the issue here is the Museum's attempt to use the Zoo, an established SCIENTIFIC institution, in a cross-promotion. What this appears to be, is a poorly veiled attempt for this RELIGIOUS institution to co-opt the scientific legitimacy of the, publicly funded, Zoo.

Your problem, and that of Cincy and some others, is you are attempting to suggest that this is some sort of attack on free speech. If they were protesting the Museum, itself, you may have a point.

A zoo is not a Scientific institution, it's a freaking zoo! what scientific experiments have been made in a zoo? Please, spare me the "I don't have anything against religious people" crap and then blast away at them in the next paragraph. Just admit, you hate anything or ANYONE who believes in a higher being.

How many atheists will admit they would LOVE to eliminate anything that has to do with G_D? There hatred towards people of faith seems to be growing stronger by the day. Who knows, maybe the next round of genocide will be against people of faith. knowing how morally bankrupt most atheists are, I would not doubt it.

A zoo is not a Scientific institution, it's a freaking zoo! what scientific experiments have been made in a zoo? Please, spare me the "I don't have anything against religious people" crap and then blast away at them in the next paragraph. Just admit, you hate anything or ANYONE who believes in a higher being.

How many atheists will admit they would LOVE to eliminate anything that has to do with G_D? There hatred towards people of faith seems to be growing stronger by the day. Who knows, maybe the next round of genocide will be against people of faith. knowing how morally bankrupt most atheists are, I would not doubt it.

And when the Atheists are done killing all the Religious people, they will turn on each other because their answer to The Great Question is the only logical answer

But by then the Sea Otters will have evolved and then it will be too late

And when the Atheists are done killing all the Religious people, they will turn on each other because their answer to The Great Question is the only logical answer

But by then the Sea Otters will have evolved and then it will be too late

I never did trust Sea Otters. Those big black eyes give me the creeps.

Zoology is a science. Look it up. Experiments aren't the only way to do science. I suggest you get a better education.

I made a point you can't refute, so you resort to a lie, and name calling.

For what it's worth, I LOVE some people who, not only believe in a higher being, but believe in GOD, the way traditional religions discuss "him". I consider myself a true agnostic. I neither believe, nor disbelieve, in a "higher being". I suspect, very strongly, that that higher being, should it exist, has little to do with the God discussed in the Bible, Koran or other texts written long ago. Mostly, I believe that the existence and/or nature of "God" is probably unknowable to man.

Finally, as much of the violence/abuse/torture/etc. in this world's history can be tied to disagreements over the proper way to honor "God", I suggest that you rethink the connection between religious belief and morality.

I was talking specifically about creationists but my father is a minister and I've been around many churches. I've found a lot of people who go to church on Sunday and believe it absolves them from their sins during the week. There are some fantastic people I know who are Christians and others I know who aren't. Christianity doesn't make someone a better person and not being religious doesn't make anyone better either. It's all based on simple human morals that apply with or without religion.

B-)

Man, you're really blinded by your religion aren't you. I don't know anyone who wants to eliminate all vestiges of religion just religion in government.

Nice way to go to the absolute extreme on that. I think it's more likely the Christians would commit genocide. Isn't that what happened during the 30's and 40's?

I was talking specifically about creationists but my father is a minister and I've been around many churches. I've found a lot of people who go to church on Sunday and believe it absolves them from their sins during the week. There are some fantastic people I know who are Christians and others I know who aren't. Christianity doesn't make someone a better person and not being religious doesn't make anyone better either. It's all based on simple human morals that apply with or without religion.

B-)

Man, you're really blinded by your religion aren't you. I don't know anyone who wants to eliminate all vestiges of religion just religion in government.

Nice way to go to the absolute extreme on that. I think it's more likely the Christians would commit genocide. Isn't that what happened during the 30's and 40's?

Not really sure what your trying to say. I don't remember any mass genocide by Christians in the 30's and 40's.