Sellout at Toronto Game

I've read that the T.O. game has 3,500 tickets remaining, but for some reason its still labeled a sellout. Something about how the tickets are expensive and thought of as more luxury tickets than as regular ones (I don't know).

But in the future, if these games do not sellout (I see this as a distinct possibility), will the blackout restrictions apply to buffalo?

The preseason game was on TV, but i'm pretty sure they always show preseason games. Can you imagine the people of Buffalo not being able to see a game at home or at a bar because Toronto wouldn't sell out a key game?

if this is the case, there will be a lot of unhappy people in Buffalo.

Or...relieved. :devil:

well, i'm being optimistic that by the time next august comes around, we'll be excited for a new team with hopefully a better future.

On the blackout restrictions, I've tried to research this so far and have come up with nothing. I believe Rochester and Syracuse get blacked out when we don't sell out, so there would be precedent with our supporting markets.

But obviously, a game in Toronto has no precedent, and this is a whole different animal that blackout rules in 'cuse or roc.

The people at the Rogers Centre are finally realizing that there is not indeed a sucker born every minute. When the game was announced the marketing had a Bills slant to it. On Rogers cable network they showed Bills hi-lites, ran interviews with the players, promoted Trent Edwards etc etc etc.

Now that the Bills have tanked and are a prayer to make the playoffs, the whole marketing media has switched to a Dolphins perspective. On the same cable station they now have reports from Miami, interviews with the Dolphin fans and players.

Don't expect this to be a Bills crowd as I suspect there will be thousands upon thousands of Miami jerseys in the stands.

and the 3500 or so seats available are all in the $300.00+ range. No wonder it's not a sellout.

I've read that the T.O. game has 3,500 tickets remaining, but for some reason its still labeled a sellout. Something about how the tickets are expensive and thought of as more luxury tickets than as regular ones (I don't know).

But in the future, if these games do not sellout (I see this as a distinct possibility), will the blackout restrictions apply to buffalo?

The preseason game was on TV, but i'm pretty sure they always show preseason games. Can you imagine the people of Buffalo not being able to see a game at home or at a bar because Toronto wouldn't sell out a key game?

Actually there are 9,000 tickets remaining - and yes it will be blacked out in Buffalo,

Rogers basically bought the Bills for the day and moved the game to Toronto. Therefore it will be viewed as a sellout whether he can resell all the tickets or not.

This sounds about right. Have you read this anywhere, or do you have any proof?

On one hand, I can't imagine the NFL would allow the telecast in Buffalo if there was not a sellout, but on the other I could totally see the NFL saying "it's still in your market, you have to sell out to get the game on TV."

This is a blurb from a Candian article:

The only good news for anyone in this NFL promise is that the game, by NFL standards, is a sellout: That means it will be televised, here and in Buffalo. For the record, it isn't sold out but for the purposes of determining television coverage it happens to be.

Apparently, the NFL doesn't consider the high-priced tickets to count, much like box-holders' seats. So we can all sit home and watch on TV. For free.

Actually there are 9,000 tickets remaining - and yes it will be blacked out in Buffalo,

The NFL is not about to stick to their own concocted rules and black out an international extravaganza in the Buffalo market, in this unique situation.

Bflo fans would howl, the network carrier would howl, the local affiliate would howl about getting stiffed out of ad revenue

A TV blackout for WNY is preposterous.

The preseason game in TO was far from a sell out and was on Buffalo TV and the same NFL TV rules applied. This game will be on TV, if it were not going to be, trust me, there would be a lot more noise out there about it on the radio, tv news and newspaper.

WRONG!

Actually I am not wrong. Last week there were AT LEAST 9,000 tickets UNSOLD according to an article from the Toronto newspaper. As for the blackout - Toronto is considered our market now. SO i am assuming there will be a blackout. I could be wrong about the blackout rules but the amount of tickets is correct.

Actually I am not wrong. Last week there were AT LEAST 9,000 tickets UNSOLD according to an article from the Toronto newspaper. As for the blackout - Toronto is considered our market now. SO i am assuming there will be a blackout. I could be wrong about the blackout rules but the amount of tickets is correct.

Read ConradDobler's post.

The preseason game in TO was far from a sell out and was on Buffalo TV and the same NFL TV rules applied. This game will be on TV, if it were not going to be, trust me, there would be a lot more noise out there about it on the radio, tv news and newspaper.

From what I remember, the preseason games are always on TV, regardless if they are sold out or not. I don't think that blackout rules apply to preseason, and thats why they were on tv. Right?

And about the differing accounts of the number of tickets available, I did read a week ago there was 9,000 left and today the Canadian papers said the team reported 3,500. I'm almost certain its probably a number in the middle somewhere...the Rogers people are trying to inflate their sales so they dont look bad, once again.

From what I remember, the preseason games are always on TV, regardless if they are sold out or not. I don't think that blackout rules apply to preseason, and thats why they were on tv. Right?

Don't know what the deal was with the Toronto preseason game, but blackout rules apply. Home preseason games are not usually broadcast in the local market unless they are sold out.

Pre-season games are blacked out if not sold out locally.

And about the differing accounts of the number of tickets available, I did read a week ago there was 9,000 left and today the Canadian papers said the team reported 3,500. I'm almost certain its probably a number in the middle somewhere...the Rogers people are trying to inflate their sales so they dont look bad, once again.

From the article I posted earlier in this thread:

So the game will go on Sunday afternoon here, the struggling Bills versus the improving Dolphins and as of yesterday about 3,500 tickets, mostly in the $300-plus price range, have yet to be sold. If anything, those of us in Toronto should be congratulated for not playing the part of rubes.

Pre-season games are blacked out if not sold out locally.

From the article I posted earlier in this thread:

So the game will go on Sunday afternoon here, the struggling Bills versus the improving Dolphins and as of yesterday about 3,500 tickets, mostly in the $300-plus price range, have yet to be sold. If anything, those of us in Toronto should be congratulated for not playing the part of rubes.

buddy, i read the article, i started the thread and I mentioned 3,500 number in the first post. i'm just saying that i wouldn't be surprised if the Rogers people are inflating numbers and that there are actually a lot more tickets available.

I find it hard to believe they sold 6,000 tickets in one week.

EDIT:

But back to the original intent of this thread: If future games are not sold out, will Buffalo be subject to blackout? I can't find anything about it in any media or on the NFL blackout rules site.

The one thing it says is that in a 75 mile radius blackout rules apply, and Buffalo is certainly in a 75 mile radius. Still this is something that has no precedent, and wouldn't be surprised if the NFL turned its back on such a rule for this case.

buddy, i read the article, i started the thread and I mentioned 3,500 number in the first post. i'm just saying that i wouldn't be surprised if the Rogers people are inflating numbers and that there are actually a lot more tickets available.

I find it hard to believe they sold 6,000 tickets in one week.

ok buddy....just going by what I read. On the Channel 2 News last night they were able to get 10 tickets in a row in the $255 dollar range on-line via ticketmaster or wherever they are selling them (couldn't care less), so the numbers may be inflated...

ok buddy....just going by what I read. On the Channel 2 News last night they were able to get 10 tickets in a row in the $255 dollar range on-line, so the numbers may be inflated...

I mean, they lied about the number of tickets given out at the preseason game, and they have the history to do it again. Ten tickets in a row sounds like its pretty empty to me!