Conditions on the Bailout

And yet, no matter how many times the stupid retreat story has been refuted, you can't help yourself to the steaming pile.

Genius, when a global financial firm is on a brink of failure and its collapse can bring the entire financial system to its knees in less than a day, you don't have the flexibility to "demand a business plan." I'm guessing that based on your knowledge, a business plan would qualify if it was a blank piece of paper that said in big bold type "BUSINESS PLAN" on its cover.

The company has a business plan. It's to try to stay above water for as long as possible to repay the emergency loan. Part of that includes investing $400k in your sales agents, so they can generate millions in future business.

You can give the money with terms. Just like the smaller banks they have bailed out in order to open up the loan process. Many of those banks were not giving out loans after they were bailed out. In AIG's case, looks as though the generating millions in future businesses is working out very well. ??

I have not heard their excuse for the retreats except someone telling me that they were funded by a subsidiary. To me that means nothing. I have worked for a large corporation that was in trouble. All of the subsidiaries had to curb their spending even if they were in good standing.

And please do not talk down to me. You are not better than me in any way, shape or form.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can give the money with terms. Just like the smaller banks they have bailed out in order to open up the loan process. Many of those banks were not giving out loans after they were bailed out. In AIG's case, looks as though the generating millions in future businesses is working out very well. ??

I have not heard their excuse for the retreats except someone telling me that they were funded by a subsidiary. To me that means nothing. I have worked for a large corporation that was in trouble. All of the subsidiaries had to curb their spending even if they were in good standing.

And please do not talk down to me. You are not better than me in any way, shape or form.

Yes he is. :P

Just to name a few. His grasp of reality, compared to yours. His better understanding of the subject in this thread, compared to yours. But please continue, I still have some popcorn left. :P

Give me a break. That is one weak argument. Yes, you are right. I guess my opinions on CEO's being paid to much or having ridiculous severance packages is completely flawed as compared to his opinions.

Keep going, keep spouting nonsense as usual.

Give me a break. That is one weak argument. Yes, you are right. I guess my opinions on CEO's being paid to much or having ridiculous severance packages is completely flawed as compared to his opinions.

Because my opinion is rooted in data & fact, and not based on another opinion or a headline of an article that I don't understand.

Sorry to ruffle your feathers, Mr Stuart Smalley. There are many ways one can be better than another. One definition would be to remember past conversations, especially one where you actively participate. On that matter, I am better than you.

I have not heard their excuse for the retreats except someone telling me that they were funded by a subsidiary. To me that means nothing.

Then what is this:

This is how business is done with bulk scale property & casualty brokers, you buffoon. The perks were not for AIG employees but for their sales agents. If you don't treat them well, they will be perfectly happy to work with Swiss RE or Munich RE. Aren't you among the retardia that screams about US job protections? Notice something about the names of the competitors?
Shall I tell you from true experience? I do lots of business with American General. I don't have to, I just do because they have the industries best products. We go on great trips. They "invite" (you have to qualify) probably 300 people for a four night stay in places like Ritz-Carlton. Do the math. $400k divided by 300 people is only $1300 per person. And of the 300 people maybe ten worked for American General, the rest were independent firms. Get a clue before you B word.

Crunch the numbers, Einstein - $1,300 perk on an agent who will generate $1 million in new business for AIG.

Good thing your job will always involve taking orders from others.

Remind me again what the severance package is for a UAW worker that the company would like to fire for underperforming? Oh, that's right - he gets to keep his job. You can't fire him without 10 years of litigation. Not bad.

Or, you can try to ease him out with early retirement - full pension and health care plus up to 70k was what was offered last year.

Because my opinion is rooted in data & fact, and not based on another opinion or a headline of an article that I don't understand.

Sorry to ruffle your feathers, Mr Stuart Smalley. There are many ways one can be better than another. One definition would be to remember past conversations, especially one where you actively participate. On that matter, I am better than you.

Then what is this:

Crunch the numbers, Einstein - $1,300 perk on an agent who will generate $1 million in new business for AIG.

Good thing your job will always involve taking orders from others.

Well Einstein, lets see how many agents are generating million dollar accounts in this market. Tool.

And really, talk about headlines all of your talking are just that.

Congrats, you are awesome at blogging. Your parents must be so proud. :P

Remind me again what the severance package is for a UAW worker that the company would like to fire for underperforming? Oh, that's right - he gets to keep his job. You can't fire him without 10 years of litigation. Not bad.

Or, you can try to ease him out with early retirement - full pension and health care plus up to 70k was what was offered last year.

Try again.

Well Einstein, lets see how many agents are generating million dollar accounts in this market. Tool.

And really, talk about headlines all of your talking are just that.

Congrats, you are awesome at blogging. Your parents must be so proud. :P

A lot less obviously, which should indicate that you'd want to keep as many of the top performers as happy as you can and pay them better than your competitor. You'd figure it's obvious to anyone who's not an order taker.

And, yes, my parents are very proud. Thank you very much.

A lot less obviously, which should indicate that you'd want to keep as many of the top performers as happy as you can and pay them better than your competitor. You'd figure it's obvious to anyone who's not an order taker.

And, yes, my parents are very proud. Thank you very much.

I have said pay them a comparable rate. Many of these CEO's within the Big 3 are being paid much more than the executives from Toyota and Honda.

And when large salaries start to hurt and companies shouldn't they ALL be cut back? Or is it just the blue collar sector to be cut back?

"Oooo Oooohh!! Ooooo! Sorry, we just couldn't hear you that first time. Now that we know what Congress wants to hear, we come back two weeks later with our hats in hand, having flown commercial this time, and... everything's different. Really. You gotta believe us! Can we have our $30B now, Uncle Sam?"

"Oooo Oooohh!! Ooooo! Sorry, we just couldn't hear you that first time. Now that we know what Congress wants to hear, we come back two weeks later with our hats in hand, having flown commercial this time, and... everything's different. Really. You gotta believe us! Can we have our $30B now, Uncle Sam?"

:P :P

No, they rode in a Chevy Malibu hybrid that gets an amazing 28/34 per gallon.

Let me see how confident I am in the Big 3. A month ago, they wanted 25B. Today they want 34B. I am sure that number won't go any higher; they are so responsible. GM HOPES(!!!) to break even in 2012--tell me why they shouldn't go into BCY again. At least Chrysler says it will hope to break even by the end of 2009.

(I know: They are both lying.)

No, they rode in a Chevy Malibu hybrid that gets an amazing 28/34 per gallon.

Let me see how confident I am in the Big 3. A month ago, they wanted 25B. Today they want 34B. I am sure that number won't go any higher; they are so responsible. GM HOPES(!!!) to break even in 2012--tell me why they shouldn't go into BCY again. At least Chrysler says it will hope to break even by the end of 2009.

(I know: They are both lying.)

Funny thing is that no one had any questions... just handed over much larger numbers earlier. No accountability. No scrutiny. Now for a much smaller number (granted a billion is a billion), there is nothing but scrutiny.

And John - we get it. You don't like American made cars.

I have said pay them a comparable rate. Many of these CEO's within the Big 3 are being paid much more than the executives from Toyota and Honda.

And when large salaries start to hurt and companies shouldn't they ALL be cut back? Or is it just the blue collar sector to be cut back?

Can you at least stay on topic (which was AIG)?

If you want to look at the shiny object that is Big 3's executive pay, then others have commented that CEO compensation is a side issue to legacy costs, too big of a dealer network, outdated manufacturing and inflexible work rules that don't allow the companies maneuvering room to swap out production to meet quickly changing consumer preferences, dragged down by an estimated 4 million less cars to be sold in 2009 than in 2007.

See, the above is an opinion based on data & facts.

Can you at least stay on topic (which was AIG)?

If you want to look at the shiny object that is Big 3's executive pay, then others have commented that CEO compensation is a side issue to legacy costs, too big of a dealer network, outdated manufacturing and inflexible work rules that don't allow the companies maneuvering room to swap out production to meet quickly changing consumer preferences, dragged down by an estimated 4 million less cars to be sold in 2009 than in 2007.

See, the above is an opinion based on data & facts.

I have said plenty of times that there are many levels that HAVE to be altered. From CEO's pay to union wages, to dealer networks, etc., etc.

Thanks for your opinion based on data and facts. I just don't value your opinion on everything like some people here do.

Funny thing is that no one had any questions... just handed over much larger numbers earlier. No accountability. No scrutiny. Now for a much smaller number (granted a billion is a billion), there is nothing but scrutiny.

And John - we get it. You don't like American made cars.

I'd consider a Ford for my next car but *most* American cars suck rooster.

The other bailout was a lot different; I leave that debate to you two lovebirds.

I'd consider a Ford for my next car but *most* American cars suck rooster.

The other bailout was a lot different; I leave that debate to you two lovebirds.

Debate? It's not a debate, because genius insists it's the same thing.