By deferring yet again, Jauron got what he deserved

1billsfan

...hopefully now we can move on with a new regime in 2009. Why in the world would you as the Bills head coach defer to the second half yesterday?

1. Your Bills offensive scored an explosive 47 points away from home last week.

2. Your offense is all warmed up, ready to go, but you decide it's best to let them stand there in the cold for 20 minutes before they take the field.

3. You were burned by your defense after deferring in the Miami game when you were 5-1 and gave the underdog the ball and a quick 7 point lead.

So what happens yesterday? The Bills win the toss, our jackass of a coach defers to the second half, the 49ers all warmed up quickly score a touchdown on our suspect defense and the Bills offense looks like the are cold and stiff from standing on the sidelines with nothing to do. Jauron's season long affair with this new NFL rule has almost single handedly sunk his once solid job as the Bills head coach. I am so angry at this guy for deferring yesterday, his firing can not come soon enough for me. The Bills are going to be 6-10 and there is no way he keeps his job after that. Thanks for being so stupid and letting us all move on in 2009 with a new Buffalo Bills head coach.

Somebody clarify how the coin toss actually works.

I am a fan of deferring IF it enables you to choose what endzone you will have in the 4th quarter. Now, I was always under the impression that was the case... But, then some screwy things have been happening and I am not sure how the rules work.

??

Did the Bills have the wind yesterday in the fourth?

My point is that in bad weather games, I would rather have the wind in the 4th first and foremost... Then again, if the Bills had the wind in the 4th yesterday... They must have had it in the second... When Lindell missed the chip. :blink::thumbsup:

But, really... If you can score before half and then get the ball back in the 3rd and score... You have two consecutives possessions.

I don't see why everybody thinks that the offense getting the opening kick is so important... I think it is easily nullified... Look what happened with CLEV... We took the opening kick and TE threw a pick. CLEV hit their long one in the 4th and Lindell missed against the wind.

ALWAYS DEFER AT THE RALPH IN INCLEMENT WEATHER!

We are just having bad luck.

Now, dome... I don't see an advantage to defer... Same with lame brain Dick in Miami... WTF was up with that?

:thumbsup::(

Oh... Is it a new rule? Again... I was always a fan of just losing the toss... I thougt you could always defer in favor of the what endzone you wanted to defend.

??

Yes it's a new rule. I'm a fan of scoring first and scoring often. I think it was a stupid move by a stupid coach who can't get anything right and is burned more often than Charlie Brown. He coaches like a loser and his career record says all you need to know about his decision making ability.

Yes it's a new rule. I'm a fan of scoring first and scoring often. I think it was a stupid move by a stupid coach who can't get anything right and is burned more often than Charlie Brown. He coaches like a loser and his career record says all you need to know about his decision making ability.

I am too (blue)... First drive to me doesn't matter. Remember you can score on the defensive side of the ball. IMO, the tempo of the game is more inportant... The first drive means squat. There were other things during the game that really threw the tempo off for the Bills... Any one of those goes the other way and Bills win easily... It was just the perfect storm of ineptitude yesterday.

No way do I want to be going against the wind at the Ralph during the 4th 1/4 in late Novemeber.

Believe it or not... We really had the last drive of the game with well over a minute left... That could have been going to tie or win (if other drives wouldn't have imploded or our kicker missed chips).

TE is going through some pains... But, like one poster said: "JP played himself right out of the league yesterday." How many chances will he get in to salvage turds of a game? At least make it to the 50 on that last drive! :blink::thumbsup:

I am too (blue)... First drive to me doesn't matter. Remember you can score on the defensive side of the ball. IMO, the tempo of the game is more inportant... The first drive means squat. There were other things during the game that really threw the tempo off for the Bills... Any one of those goes the other way and Bills win easily... It was just the perfect storm of ineptitude yesterday.

No way do I want to be going against the wind at the Ralph during the 4th 1/4 in late Novemeber.

Believe it or not... We really had the last drive of the game with well over a minute left... That could have been going to tie or win (if other drives wouldn't have imploded or our kicker missed chips).

TE is going through some pains... But, like one poster said: "JP played himself right out of the league yesterday." How many chances will he get in to salvage turds of a game? At least make it to the 50 on that last drive! :blink::thumbsup:

I couldn't disagree any more with you. Tell me that the 49ers scoring a touchdown on that first drive out of the gate didn't cast a huge shadow of doubt over the entire Bills nation. A HUGE part of football is the psychological part. Why, when given the chance to decide, give your opponent the opportunity to score first and put your team 7 points in the hole? The answer is you don't, especially when your team is all warmed up and are coming off a 47 point blowout win on the road. I can't believe you don't see the huge error in judgment our moron of a coach made in deferring. I guess we can agree to have a big disagreement on this one.

I couldn't disagree any more with you. Tell me that the 49ers scoring a touchdown on that first drive out of the gate didn't cast a huge shadow of doubt over the entire Bills nation. A HUGE part of football is the psychological part. Why, when given the chance to decide, give your opponent the opportunity to score first and put your team 7 points in the hole? The answer is you don't, especially when your team is all warmed up and are coming off a 47 point blowout win on the road. I can't believe you don't see the huge error in judgment our moron of a coach made in deferring. I guess we can agree to have a big disagreement on this one.

The Bills D is better than the O... Put the better on the field first.

It was just bad luck. The defense should stop them. What happens if you lose the toss and the same thing happens? Remember CLEV?... TE threw the pick on the opening drive... :blink:

The point is... JP could have lead the team down the field on the last drive with the wind... Now... All the offense had to do was score sometime, anytime during the game 7 points and the Bills would have been marching for the win.

The rest of the game was a cluster phuck... Heck... Lindell hits the 39 and 20 and they are still down one and can march for a win.

Unfortunately JP is worse the TE and JP couldn't get the ball past the shadow of our own endzone on that last drive.

How many times does a team score first, then go on to lose... I bet it is more than 50-50. ??

The Bills D is better than the O... Put the better on the field first.

It was just bad luck. The defense should stop them. What happens if you lose the toss and the same thing happens? Remember CLEV?... TE threw the pick on the opening drive... :blink:

The point is... JP could have lead the team down the field on the last drive with the wind... Now... All the offense had to do was score sometime, anytime during the game 7 points and the Bills would have been marching for the win.

The rest of the game was a cluster phuck... Heck... Lindell hits the 39 and 20 and they are still down one and can march for a win.

Unfortunately JP is worse the TE and JP couldn't get the ball past the shadow of our own endzone on that last drive.

How many times does a team score first, then go on to lose... I bet it is more than 50-50. ??

It's simple psychology. Young players don't understand why you wouldn't want the ball. They want to score. They want to win. They don't want to wait until the second half. It was a dumb decision. Bad luck? Hardly. Dick Jauron gave the 49ers the opportunity to do what they did to our defense. The 49ers were all warmed up and ready to go and Dick gave them the ball. They did go down and score 7 points on our defense with ease. The game was forever changed after that, the mental damage was done, the 49ers had a very good shot at beating the Bills and everyone in that stadium and watching on TV knew it. The decision was one that comes from a man who is measured and not one who is fearless. This is his fatal flaw as a head coach and why he will never have a winning record as a head coach. You show me a head coaching great in this league and I'll show you a head coach that knows what makes his players tick and that psychology is 50 percent of success in this league.

Why does a team want last ups in baseball? What about going first in a hockey shoot-out?

IMO, I wanna know what the other team does and then it gives me a chance to answer or score more.

The strategy of deferring is great IF YOU MAKE ONE STOP ON THE OPENING DRIVE... Then the advantage (wind in the 4th) is yours the rest of the game. Plain and simple.

It's simple psychology. Young players don't understand why you wouldn't want the ball. They want to score. They want to win. They don't want to wait until the second half. It was a dumb decision. Bad luck? Hardly. Dick Jauron gave the 49ers the opportunity to do what they did to our defense. The 49ers were all warmed up and ready to go and Dick gave them the ball. They did go down and score 7 points on our defense with ease. The game was forever changed after that, the mental damage was done, the 49ers had a very good shot at beating the Bills and everyone in that stadium and watching on TV knew it. The decision was one that comes from a man who is measured and not one who is fearless. This is his fatal flaw as a head coach and why he will never have a winning record as a head coach. You show me a head coaching great in this league and I'll show you a head coach that knows what makes his players tick and that psychology is 50 percent of success in this league.

It's my understanding that almost every coach chooses to defer when he wins the toss. I don't have the statistics in front of me, but you're acting like Jauron is unique in this strategy. That said, fire Jauron now.

I am not sure it is a new rule... When you win the toss, you have the option of getting the kick or choosing which goal to defend.

No? Been like that forever.

In this crappy weather... I would choose which endzone to defend (especially when it comes around in the 4th).

I am sure Levy played this the same way as Dick... Yet, with better luck.

Just have the D stop them... Is that so hard to ask... The D is all warmed up at the start of the game.

Now, the MIA game is a mystery... I think DJ wanted to see what the "Wildcat" was about and then they could analyze it longer in the booth. ??

According to Lori's game preview, the 49ers were ranked 23rd in total offense. Why the hell wouldn't you want the 49ers to start the game with their offense, knowing that there would have been a good chance that the Bills would have stopped them? At that point, your offense is going against the 23rd ranked defense in the league with a shorter field. That's better for your offense.

Saying that you should have taken the ball since the offense was warmed up is ridiculous. Wasn't the defense just as "warmed up" at that point?

The reality is that everyone is a little bit right here - deferring is now a popular choice in the NFL among all coaches (not just Doofy Dick), but deferring in our case has the unfortunate feel of "wimpyness" to it.

The coin toss didn't have anything to do with a loss in a 10-3 game; however, when your coaching staff looks as completely clueless and detached as ours, every single decision gets put under the spotlight.