From where I sat at RWS today...

The Big Cat

It became clear to me that blaming the coaches for not throwing the ball down the field needs to stop. NOW.

In the first half, Edwards had Evans WIDE open, and I mean WIDE open down field, and he elected to dump off. Either he's feeling the pressure too fast and bailing out, or he's just not looking.

Today was the first time I got to see Hardy play in person and I was amazed at his speed. In addition to the few times Edwards neglected throwing deep to Evans, he also had Hardy BOMBING down the field on the fly route, often times in single coverage. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have a 6'6'' WR with blazing speed and documented leaping ability, there's absolutely no harm in just chucking it up to him when he's in single coverage- ESPECIALLY on first down. Hasn't happened once this year, and if today was at all indicative of how plays have been drawn up throughout the season, then Edwards (and/or the OL) is the problem.

Once Losman came into the game, the 9ers TOTALLY changed their strategy, and played the deep ball ALL day, forcing him to throw the short pass. Their coaching staff deserves credit for the adjustment, but so does ours, since we just put it in Lynch's hands and let him run amok. I wish he wouldn't have slowed down on the 50 yard run, though, and instead lowered his head and tried to bulldoze the ONE guy between him and the end zone. Would have been the difference in the game.

The defense played a hell of a game. They didn't come out aggressive, and it cost them the one touchdown of the day. But on the play that got SF the score, McLovin got turned around something fierce. I mean seriously, it was like one of us was in coverage out there.

The weather sucked, Lindel sucked, Edwards sucked, Losman sucked, our OL sucked, and it sucked that we went from scoring a near franchise record 54 points, to a measly 3 points, at home, against a crappy team, in just one week. But oh well. Life as a Bills fan, I guess.

Today was the first time I got to see Hardy play in person and I was amazed at his speed. In addition to the few times Edwards neglected throwing deep to Evans, he also had Hardy BOMBING down the field on the fly route, often times in single coverage. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have a 6'6'' WR with blazing speed and documented leaping ability, there's absolutely no harm in just chucking it up to him when he's in single coverage- ESPECIALLY on first down. Hasn't happened once this year, and if today was at all indicative of how plays have been drawn up throughout the season, then Edwards (and/or the OL) is the problem.

Once Losman came into the game, the 9ers TOTALLY changed their strategy, and played the deep ball ALL day, forcing him to throw the short pass. Their coaching staff deserves credit for the adjustment, but so does ours, since we just put it in Lynch's hands and let him run amok. I wish he wouldn't have slowed down on the 50 yard run, though, and instead lowered his head and tried to bulldoze the ONE guy between him and the end zone. Would have been the difference in the game.

Now THAT is an eye opener. Coming into the past few weeks, I used to think Trent would dink and dunk because he had no one open down field. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized, he just dinks and dunks! Hopefully this is because he is young and he will learn to throw the ball down field with time. It is encouraging to hear the physical talent that Hardy has and hopefully he will develop his route running and Trent will throw him (and Lee) the ball!

It became clear to me that blaming the coaches for not throwing the ball down the field needs to stop. NOW.

In the first half, Edwards had Evans WIDE open, and I mean WIDE open down field, and he elected to dump off. Either he's feeling the pressure too fast and bailing out, or he's just not looking.

The defense played a hell of a game. They didn't come out aggressive, and it cost them the one touchdown of the day. But on the play that got SF the score, McLovin got turned around something fierce. I mean seriously, it was like one of us was in coverage out there.

The weather sucked, Lindel sucked, Edwards sucked, Losman sucked, our OL sucked, and it sucked that we went from scoring a near franchise record 54 points, to a measly 3 points, at home, against a crappy team, in just one week. But oh well. Life as a Bills fan, I guess.

Agree with a lot of this..(I was there too) But do NOT claim that the O-line sucked. That was just not the case today, nor has it been for the last 3 weeks. On one of those short yardage opportunities in the red zone (when we chose to kick and not run for it) Our O-line coach was seeing yelling at Coach Jauron and Langston Walker threw down his helmet. They wanted badly to run the ball and were successful doing it all day. Too bad they only ran half as much as they threw.

My brother-in-law was at the Browns game and we were talking aout it on Thanksgiving. He said the same thing about Edwards. He was watching Evans quite a bit because he has him in fantasy football -- and said he was wide open a lot of the Cleveland game, but Edwards wasn't throwing the ball. Doesn't surprise me that the same thing was happening today... :blink:

Agree with a lot of this..(I was there too) But do NOT claim that the O-line sucked. That was just not the case today, nor has it been for the last 3 weeks. On one of those short yardage opportunities in the red zone (when we chose to kick and not run for it) Our O-line coach was seeing yelling at Coach Jauron and Langston Walker threw down his helmet. They wanted badly to run the ball and were successful doing it all day. Too bad they only ran half as much as they threw.

Honestly, I was watching the OLine today, I was watching our receivers. The only times I noticed the OLine was when I'd look to see why nobody was passing to the open guy, only to see the QB running for his life.

IIRC, they DID try to run the ball in each of the short yardage situations, and failed. It didn't look to me like there were getting enormous holes out there, but rather, they got their big gains when they caught the 49ers in soft coverage, a luxury not afforded within 5 yards of the endzone. Am I wrong about this?

My brother-in-law was at the Browns game and we were talking aout it on Thanksgiving. He said the same thing about Edwards. He was watching Evans quite a bit because he has him in fantasy football -- and said he was wide open a lot of the Cleveland game, but Edwards wasn't throwing the ball. Doesn't surprise me that the same thing was happening today... :blink:

Honest to God, there was one play where I stood up and started screaming and everyone around me thought I was nuts. Edwards had ALL day, and Evans was running a deep slant to the sideline (never played football, don't know the correct terminology, post, out, flag, fade, whatever). Just before Evans made his cut (which was beautiful) Edwards dumped off. There was no safeties ANYWHERE, and Evans had the CB by about four steps. Would have been a touchdown a la the first quarter of the Texans game two years ago. The point is, before Evans even ran the designated route, which ITSELF was enough for the TD, Edwards bailed and threw the short one.

Last week my buddy and I were discussing the difference between big gains which are a result of the play, and big gains as a result of the player. Aside from Lee's awesome route running, this would have been a big gain as a result of the PLAY.

Honestly, I was watching the OLine today, I was watching our receivers. The only times I noticed the OLine was when I'd look to see why nobody was passing to the open guy, only to see the QB running for his life.

IIRC, they DID try to run the ball in each of the short yardage situations, and failed. It didn't look to me like there were getting enormous holes out there, but rather, they got their big gains when they caught the 49ers in soft coverage, a luxury not afforded within 5 yards of the endzone. Am I wrong about this?

You are right that there were some stops down there, but second attemps were never made. And no, many of the runs came out of base formations. The Bills were playing a cat and mouse game with the niners safeties alittle bit pre-snap. But there were some real good runs on 1st and 10.

You are right that there were some stops down there, but second attemps were never made. And no, many of the runs came out of base formations. The Bills were playing a cat and mouse game with the niners safeties alittle bit pre-snap. But there were some real good runs on 1st and 10.

Noted, and like I said, I was watching the WR's. SF does have a talented LB corps, perhaps the lack of second attempts was more calculated than we give credit. And aside from the fourth down attempt, how many more times do you get second and third chances in short yardage?

You mean to tell us it really is Jauron's fault for some of the crappy play calling?

Who would have thunk it!

Noted, and like I said, I was watching the WR's. SF does have a talented LB corps, perhaps the lack of second attempts was more calculated than we give credit. And aside from the fourth down attempt, how many more times do you get second and third chances in short yardage?

The SF linebackers were indeed very good. The biggest problem for me is knowing how the O-line players felt based on their display from the sideline. They wanted a chance at that 1st down and were for the most part, firing off the ball well.

Thanks, Big Cat. I thought there was something I forgot to mention in My Meaningless Opinion, and you just helped me think of it: the play of the Bills' wideouts.

Were you saying they were good or bad?

FWIW (and related to some of the content above), I just posted this in another thread:

Here are the plays from Buffalo's THREE trips to the redzone:

1-10-SF 19 (10:19) (Shotgun) 23-M.Lynch left guard to SF 19 for no gain (91-R.McDonald).

2-10-SF 19 (10:19) M.Lynch lines up at QB (T.Edwards wide). 11-R.Parrish right end to SF 10 for 9 yards (22-N.Clements). Reverse, handoff from M.Lynch. Measurement = third down.

3-1-SF 10 (9:05) 5-T.Edwards up the middle to SF 7 for 3 yards (93-R.Fields). QB sneak.

1-7-SF 7 (8:23) (Shotgun) 22-F.Jackson left guard to SF 2 for 5 yards (32-M.Lewis, 52-P.Willis).

2-2-SF 2 (7:38) 5-T.Edwards pass incomplete short middle to 86-D.Fine (96-K.Balmer). Pass tipped at line, ball fell short of receiver in back of end zone.

3-2-SF 2 (7:32) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass incomplete short right to 82-J.Reed. Thrown away under pressure: P.Willis. Receiver in front right corner of end zone.

1-10-SF 15 (12:09) 23-M.Lynch up the middle to SF 14 for 1 yard (92-A.Franklin, 51-T.Spikes).

2-9-SF 14 (11:35) (Shotgun) 7-J.Losman pass short middle to 80-D.Schouman to SF 6 for 8 yards (51-T.Spikes). FUMBLES (51-T.Spikes), recovered by BUF-66-D.Dockery at SF 6.

3-1-SF 6 (10:49) 22-F.Jackson left guard to SF 7 for -1 yards (94-J.Smith).

0-0- Timeout #2 by BUF at 10:05.

4-2-SF 7 (10:05) 7-J.Losman pass incomplete short right to 83-L.Evans (91-R.McDonald). Underthrown after QB pressure.

(following the 50 yard run)

1-9-SF 9 (10:23) 23-M.Lynch left guard to SF 12 for -3 yards (32-M.Lewis, 26-M.Roman).

2-12-SF 12 (9:44) (Shotgun) 7-J.Losman pass short right to 83-L.Evans to SF 4 for 8 yards (22-N.Clements). Caught at SF 5, curling to middle.

3-4-SF 4 (9:02) 7-J.Losman pass incomplete short middle to 11-R.Parrish (30-D.Strickland). Receiver and coverage at goal line, crossing from left.

I'd say that claiming to have "abandoned" the run in the redzone is a bit dramatic, but one could make the argument that it wasn't done without historical consideration.

FWIW (and related to some of the content above), I just posted this in another thread:

1-10-SF 19 (10:19) (Shotgun) 23-M.Lynch left guard to SF 19 for no gain (91-R.McDonald).

2-10-SF 19 (10:19) M.Lynch lines up at QB (T.Edwards wide). 11-R.Parrish right end to SF 10 for 9 yards (22-N.Clements). Reverse, handoff from M.Lynch. Measurement = third down.

3-1-SF 10 (9:05) 5-T.Edwards up the middle to SF 7 for 3 yards (93-R.Fields). QB sneak.

1-7-SF 7 (8:23) (Shotgun) 22-F.Jackson left guard to SF 2 for 5 yards (32-M.Lewis, 52-P.Willis).

2-2-SF 2 (7:38) 5-T.Edwards pass incomplete short middle to 86-D.Fine (96-K.Balmer). Pass tipped at line, ball fell short of receiver in back of end zone.

3-2-SF 2 (7:32) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass incomplete short right to 82-J.Reed. Thrown away under pressure: P.Willis. Receiver in front right corner of end zone.

1-10-SF 15 (12:09) 23-M.Lynch up the middle to SF 14 for 1 yard (92-A.Franklin, 51-T.Spikes).

2-9-SF 14 (11:35) (Shotgun) 7-J.Losman pass short middle to 80-D.Schouman to SF 6 for 8 yards (51-T.Spikes). FUMBLES (51-T.Spikes), recovered by BUF-66-D.Dockery at SF 6.

4-2-SF 7 (10:05) 7-J.Losman pass incomplete short right to 83-L.Evans (91-R.McDonald). Underthrown after QB pressure.

1-9-SF 9 (10:23) 23-M.Lynch left guard to SF 12 for -3 yards (32-M.Lewis, 26-M.Roman).

2-12-SF 12 (9:44) (Shotgun) 7-J.Losman pass short right to 83-L.Evans to SF 4 for 8 yards (22-N.Clements). Caught at SF 5, curling to middle.

3-4-SF 4 (9:02) 7-J.Losman pass incomplete short middle to 11-R.Parrish (30-D.Strickland). Receiver and coverage at goal line, crossing from left.

I'd say that claiming to have "abandoned" the run in the redzone is a bit dramatic, but one could make the argument that it wasn't done without historical consideration.

As a unit, I have not been impressed by what our receivers have done this season. I mentioned in my post how even a guy like Tony Boselli saw how the Bills' wideouts did not do a good job of getting open. I agree, and have mentioned it here before this game. They don't run precise routes, they don't break off their routes well, and they don't seem to adjust to what the defense is doing. Now, of the group, I think Josh Reed has done the best job of doing these things, but even he does not do them consistently well.

As a unit, I have not been impressed by what our receivers have done this season. I mentioned in my post how even a guy like Tony Boselli saw how the Bills' wideouts did not do a good job of getting open. I agree, and have mentioned it here before this game. They don't run precise routes, they don't break off their routes well, and they don't seem to adjust to what the defense is doing. Now, of the group, I think Josh Reed has done the best job of doing these things, but even he does not do them consistently well.

Well, from what I saw, Evans routes were effective today. On the one one long catch he DID have, I would have crapped my pants if Edwards hadn't' thrown him the ball- and it was a VERY nicely thrown ball. And the only route that Hardy ran well was the fly. My point for mentioning that was that to me, with his athleticism and size we should at least take a shot at him once and awhile. In that case it doesn't require much route running, yes?

I looks just like I remember it. They tried once, then abandoned...Seemingly each time. Mind you, it is a given that both Qb's played poorly for the most part.

one important thing to remember about today's game is that Edwards by him own admission couldn't push off on his throws because of the groin. That however would not explain past weeks if this has been happening all season, or at least the last few weeks. We clearly have to take more shots cause we can't rely on 18 play scoring drives. As for Hardy it seems like we pretty much only use him as a decoy, which is stupid.

It's still kind of astounding to me that the NFL hasn't figured out a way where you can actually watch what's going on down the field on tv.

I looks just like I remember it. They tried once, then abandoned...Seemingly each time. Mind you, it is a given that both Qb's played poorly for the most part.

Yes, three times they had 1st and goal inside the 10. Two times they ran once and stopped, the other time they tried again on third. Honestly, to me those kind of numbers don't signal an all out Jauron crisis like some would have you believe.

Now, as for the fourth down play- that play was a total bust from the time the ball was snapped and it came after a time out. How that's even possible I'm not sure, but I DOUBT it had anything to do with the play's design.

one important thing to remember about today's game is that Edwards by him own admission couldn't push off on his throws because of the groin. That however would not explain past weeks if this has been happening all season, or at least the last few weeks. We clearly have to take more shots cause we can't rely on 18 play scoring drives. As for Hardy it seems like we pretty much only use him as a decoy, which is stupid.

It's still kind of astounding to me that the NFL hasn't figured out a way where you can actually watch what's going on down the field on tv.

I think the groin problem may have attributed more to him spiking the short throws...

As for the bolded statement, it's an excellent point. You'd think with as much video content the NFL puts on their website these days, the LEAST they could do is show a cropped up play by play recap from the coaches' cam two weeks after the game took place...

I think Edwards regression is due to the hit by Wilson. Early this season, Edwards was chucking the ball all over, and going to the wideouts with ease. Ever since he got crushed, he has started to get happy feet, and wants no part of waiting for the deep route to get open. He is back to the dink and dump that most rookies throw. i hope he can regain his fearlessness, but I fear he may never recover. Some guys are never the same after getting that first Concussion. Time will tell if Edwards returns to form, or continues to play scared.

I think Edwards regression is due to the hit by Wilson. Early this season, Edwards was chucking the ball all over, and going to the wideouts with ease. Ever since he got crushed, he has started to get happy feet, and wants no part of waiting for the deep route to get open. He is back to the dink and dump that most rookies throw. i hope he can regain his fearlessness, but I fear he may never recover. Some guys are never the same after getting that first Concussion. Time will tell if Edwards returns to form, or continues to play scared.

Sadly, it was his fearlessness you mention which all had us raising our eyebrows when he was a rookie...