McCargo IR'd, Stupar (the TE) to 53 man roster

Fewell733

Those FA Acquisitions come from John Guy who is responsible for pro player personnel.

Do you believe then that John Guy has absolute player control in deciding to bring in a UFA or not?

I think it's safe to assume that Guy, Brandon, and Jauron talk about whom to pursue and who not to.

Do you believe then that John Guy has absolute player control in deciding to bring in a UFA or not?

I think it's safe to assume that Guy, Brandon, and Jauron talk about whom to pursue and who not to.

Is there any evidence that supports the idea that John Guy unilaterally targets and signs the players he likes and wants with no involvement from anyone else?

I know for a fact that when free agents visit the Bills they meet with and talk to Dick Jauron, as well as other members of the coaching staff, at great length.

Is there any evidence that supports the idea that John Guy unilaterally targets and signs the players he likes and wants with no involvement from anyone else?

I know for a fact that when free agents visit the Bills they meet with and talk to Dick Jauron, as well as other members of the coaching staff, at great length.

Try telling that to Mr. Fancy Pants. He believes Guy and Guy alone talks to, and ultimately signs a free agent, regardless of what DJ thinks.

Evidently no one else has responsibility when a UFA doesn't work out.

and the beginning of the Stupar era of dominance at tight end.

One would have thought the same for the Teddy Lehman era of dominace at LB - but alas the cruel hand of fate snuffed that before it began....

Just to play devil's advocate for a moment, McCargo's injury may the reason he's been so woefully inconsistent. He may have a had a hard time pushing through the pain which would make all of us question his toughness and motivation. And rightfully so. Every player has to play through pain now and then. Perhaps it surpassed the pain stage and is now an injury. Playing through injury is a different matter entirely. And not the most intelligent thing to do.

GO BILLS!!!

Just to play devil's advocate for a moment, McCargo's injury may the reason he's been so woefully inconsistent. He may have a had a hard time pushing through the pain which would make all of us question his toughness and motivation. And rightfully so. Every player has to play through pain now and then. Perhaps it surpassed the pain stage and is now an injury. Playing through injury is a different matter entirely. And not the most intelligent thing to do.

GO BILLS!!!

Goes to show that McCargo was not only a sub-par college player (that was pretty obvious in and of itself to everyone but the Bills), he might have been damaged goods.

The Bills traded up to get him in the first round, he has barely played in his 3 years in Buffalo, and a trade they tried to make involving him got cancelled because it revealed he was damaged goods.

If that doesn't make the front office look like a bunch of bumbling idiots...

Goes to show that McCargo was not only a sub-par college player (that was pretty obvious in and of itself to everyone but the Bills), he might have been damaged goods.

The Bills traded up to get him in the first round, he has barely played in his 3 years in Buffalo, and a trade they tried to make involving him got cancelled because it revealed he was damaged goods.

If that doesn't make the front office look like a bunch of bumbling idiots...

According to ststs quoted on CBS 50% of the picks from the first three rounds in any draft are not with the club selecting them or they are out of the League. McCargo is a bust, JP is a bust. Time to move on from these picks.

According to ststs quoted on CBS 50% of the picks from the first three rounds in any draft are not with the club selecting them or they are out of the League. McCargo is a bust, JP is a bust. Time to move on from these picks.

And you notice one thing both had in common.

The Bills gave up a 2nd and 5th plus the next year's first for JP.

The Bills gave up a 2nd and 3rd for McCargo.

Two 2nd rounders, a 3rd rounder, and a 5th for the right to select 2 busts. Front offices who make blunders like this get wiped clean. In Buffalo, they get promoted.

Awesome. I stumbled upon a circle jerk of "fans" who live to bash the Bills. Awesome. You guys are probably so happy to be proven right. Great fans. :)

Here's the thing. All front offices make mistakes. There is nothing easier than looking back and saying they should have done the other thing. Most Bills fans would point to many great decisions Levy made when he was in charge (Lynch, Edwards, Butler, Williams, Walker, etc.) Instead, you knuckleheads love dwelling on the negative. What a bunch of losers.

Here's the facts:

- Levy inherited a huge mess that TD left

- We are in great shape cap-wise and have every major player locked up

- We are one of the top 5 youngest teams in the league

- We are a game out of the playoffs

- We have rising stars at many positions

So instead of being a whiner, perhaps you should realize that the Bilsl are in a lort better shape because of Marv Levy. This team is set up for a very bright future.

Yet another one of Marv's boneheaded moves as GM.

1. Trading a 2nd and 3rd to grab Jon McCargo in the first round

2. Overpaying for Derrick Dockery

3. Re-signing Chris Kelsay to a big contract

4. Signing Robert Royal as a free agent

5. Awarding Schobel with a lucrative extension with 3 years remaining on his deal

6. Signing a washed up Peerless Price to a multi-year deal.

7. Passing on Ngata to take Whitner

Thank goodness he listened to Bill Walsh and chose Trent Edwards, who I feel will develop into a good QB for many years to come. :)

Royal has not been bad. He's a blocking TE and eh still excells at that. He is average as a receiver and we didn't sign him to be a receiving tight end. You can look at every GM and count half their moves as bad.

On draft day and in free agency, I've never felt the Bills front office was ahead of the curve or savvy enough to make the right moves. Moving up in the draft, as many have pointed out, should only be done when a team needs another player and is already a good team. If the Bills were interested in trading up to get Hardy, it demonstrates once again that they lock on to one guy and will pay any price to get him.

Drafting Whitner in 06 was the first example for this front office. Nevermind Whitner wasn't the player they needed, but they didn't even consider trading down. Even though it would have resulted in more picks. Parcells makes a point of stockpiling picks, and he's had good success because more options with a good GM result in a better chance of success.

We talk frequently about DJ's poor gameday decisions. If DJ truly guided Marv on draft day 06, it makes perfect sense that Buffalo sat tight, took their guy, and made the conservative decision.

IMO, if the front office doesn't add a proven NFL type, this team will remain stuck in mediocrity for years to come. And I'm tired of it.

I don't think we have drafted horribly but I do agreee with you when it come to trading up. When you trade up you have to be "spot on" with your picks-and your taking away the eventual building of depth at other positions. Stockpiling picks lets you build depth and also gives you more room for mistakes. If you 6-7 guys in the first four rounds and 1 or two of them don't work out its still ok. On the other hand if you trade up and have 4 or less picks in these rounds and 1 of them doesn't work out then its a bad draft. Have you noticed how the Patriots always seem to have 2 first round picks in the draft.

Awesome. I stumbled upon a circle jerk of "fans" who live to bash the Bills. Awesome. You guys are probably so happy to be proven right. Great fans. :)

Here's the thing. All front offices make mistakes. There is nothing easier than looking back and saying they should have done the other thing. Most Bills fans would point to many great decisions Levy made when he was in charge (Lynch, Edwards, Butler, Williams, Walker, etc.) Instead, you knuckleheads love dwelling on the negative. What a bunch of losers.

Here's the facts:

So instead of being a whiner, perhaps you should realize that the Bilsl are in a lort better shape because of Marv Levy. This team is set up for a very bright future.

We might feel better about the players and the future of the team if it were in the hands of a different coach then and now.

Here's the thing. All front offices make mistakes.

Some make more mistakes than others. The Bills fall in that category, by a wide margin.

There is nothing easier than looking back and saying they should have done the other thing.

Problem is, many of those moves were obviously boneheaded at the time they were made. Just because you stood by the McCargo pick until the very end doesn't mean it's 20/20 hindsight.

Most Bills fans would point to many great decisions Levy made when he was in charge (Lynch, Edwards, Butler, Williams, Walker, etc.) Instead, you knuckleheads love dwelling on the negative. What a bunch of losers.

Edwards and Lynch: nice picks. Especially Edwards.

Butler, Williams, and Walker are decent players, but not exceptional by any means. They would be backups on more than 50% of teams in the league. Langston Walker was grossly overpaid given his production.

Royal has not been bad. He's a blocking TE and eh still excells at that. He is average as a receiver and we didn't sign him to be a receiving tight end. You can look at every GM and count half their moves as bad.

Royal hasn't been bad no doubt... but sinking $10M over 4 years to sign him removed tight end from the list of priorities on draft day. As a result, a pass catching tight end still remains a big hole in the offense at a time when one would dramatically aid a young QB's development.

I do have hopes for Schouman, but would prefer if the Bills drafted someone more athletic to man the spot. You take a look at the Cowboys, who, over the past few years have drafted Jason Witten, Anthony Fasano, and Martellus Bennett -- all great athletes who have helped their QBs immensely in the passing game.

We are great fans. We do NOT bulls**t ourselves or others into accepting mediocrity, or worse, failure.

Here's the facts:

So huge the Bills went 9-7, and a legitimate playoff contender the only time in this decade. And it was so bad, Levy actually wanted to retain Mularkey.

- You can thank TD for cleaning up the cap.

- Younger does not automatically equate to better.

- Three years later, and the playoffs are still something we can only hope to achieve. Meanwhile, a rookie HC in Baltimore with 15 players on IR is in the drivers seat regarding a playoff spot. Meanwhile, third year HC Mangini the Half Wit is in the drivers seat to win the division, and a 2nd playoff appearance. Meanwhile, a rookie HC in Miami took over a team that was in chaos last year, and is presently ahead of the Bills in the standings. Oh yeah, he is also only one game out of the playoffs.

- And we overpaid for numerous others

Maybe if you took your head out of Jauron's ass, you would realize the Bills are overall in no better shape now than they were three years ago. But to people like you, it will only take another 2-3 years to realize that when it comes clear not all of those "rising stars" pan out. Then you will B word about certain people and hindsight.

Great post above Cynical.

The delusional fans who do not demand accountability still amaze me. I guess you have to believe in everything the front office does or you're not a true fan.

Buffalo has no GM, no legitimate NFL HC anyone wanted, over-spent on below average to average FA's, and last but not least, looking at missing the playoffs potentially 9 seasons in a row.

I guess I'm not a true fan because I choose to be critical. Go figure.

Here's the facts:

Why the personal attacks on this board are tolerated in the name of "being positive" is beyond me. We're here to discuss the Bills.

I'll help you out, here's a guideline to follow: if you wouldn't say it to their face, don't say it. Would you say all that to these people at the TBD tailgate? I doubt it, because you'd clearly be an unwelcome dick if you did. How is it any different here?

It's OK to be negative about the team, they are paid millions with fan dollars to compete and win. It's not alright to attack other fans just because you have a dissenting opinion about the team. Is this really that hard to understand?