Why would Cowher want to coach in the NFL again?

stuckincincy

He's 52 years old, likely has millions squirreled away, has a benefit package that you and I can only dream about, has a sweetheart bux contract as a taking head, his agent can always get him $$$ for emeritus speaking engagements.

I can't see why he would choose to deal with snot-faced NFL pro players and deal with owners ever again.

He's 52 years old, likely has millions squirreled away, has a benefit package that you and I can only dream about, has a sweetheart bux contract as a taking head, his agent can always get him $$$ for emeritus speaking engagements.

I can't see why he would choose to deal with snot-faced NFL pro players and deal with owners ever again.

I completely see your point, but, at 52, Cowher is still pretty young, and obviously loved the game. Why would guys like Bill Parcells, Joe Gibbs and Marv Levy find it so hard to stay away? As far as I remember, Cowher never had any problems with Steelers ownership (remember they chose him over Donohoe in a power play), and, being that he is one of the hottest commodities as an NFL coaching prospect, he could go somewhere that he gets things the way he wants them. He isn't in a position where he has to go to the Raiders if they call, because it is his only option. He has a lot of power in this situation.

I completely see your point, but, at 52, Cowher is still pretty young, and obviously loved the game. Why would guys like Bill Parcells, Joe Gibbs and Marv Levy find it so hard to stay away? As far as I remember, Cowher never had any problems with Steelers ownership (remember they chose him over Donohoe in a power play), and, being that he is one of the hottest commodities as an NFL coaching prospect, he could go somewhere that he gets things the way he wants them. He isn't in a position where he has to go to the Raiders if they call, because it is his only option. He has a lot of power in this situation.

Eh...he went most of his NFL career as a C-lipped so-so shouting podunk, until in 2005, when that Get-Jerome Bettis-A-Ring-At-All-Cost Victory Tour happened, culminating in that obscene SB fix game against SEA.

Eh...he went most of his NFL career as a C-lipped so-so shouting podunk, until in 2005, when that Get-Jerome Bettis-A-Ring-At-All-Cost Victory Tour happened, culminating in that obscene SB fix game against SEA.

May be true. I have honestly always thought he was a little overrated too. However, you can't deny, the time he was in Pittsburgh, the francehise was extremely successful. I think they only missed the playoffs twice during his tenure, and they often fielded successful teams when the talent wasn't all that spectacular. Cowher deserves at least some of the credit for this.

A. He loves the game and will be in demand

B. His millions have been reduced in the stock market

C. Interest rates for cash investments are about 3%

D. Broadcasting probably doesn't turn him on the way coaching does

E. $4 million a year plus is hard to turn down given A-D.

Ego + Passion => Can drive people to do some crazy unnecessary things.

Technically, you're right. But Bill Cowher certainly has a love for the game and for the players. Even loose-cannon Joey Porter said he loved his coach, kissed him and said he'd go to battle for him every Sunday. Bill loves the game and loves coaching. He just wanted a break from it and wanted to spend time with his family. He'll come back to coaching whether it's next year or in two years.

I think they only missed the playoffs twice during his tenure, and they often fielded successful teams when the talent wasn't all that spectacular.

The Stillers roster was absolutely loaded with talent for Cowher's entire tenure.

Once the salary cap began somewhat limiting the big market teams, Pittsburgh was arguably the most talented team in the NFL for a loooooong time.

imo, there have been very few times in Cowher's career when he was not coaching with significantly more talent than his opponent.

The Stillers roster was absolutely loaded with talent for Cowher's entire tenure.

Once the salary cap began somewhat limiting the big market teams, Pittsburgh was arguably the most talented team in the NFL for a loooooong time.

imo, there have been very few times in Cowher's career when he was not coaching with significantly more talent than his opponent.

You may be right, but it just seems that when a lot of those guys moved on, they were pretty mediocre players...before Ben Roethlisberger, he never really had a top tier QB at his diposal, and the receivers were nothing all that special. His teams were always built in the trenches, and on a sound running game. I always thought it was as much the program, as it was the players, in Pittsburgh. Sure, they had their stars, but it never seemed that they were loaded, particualarly on the offensive side of the field.

OK...imagine something you love to do, would probably do for free if it didn't pay, and then imagine walking away from it to take a break for a little while. After a period of time, his love for the game, the challenges he would face and try to overcome and doing the only thing he has ever known how to do will be sorely missed. It would be like saying why would you want to do something you love to do. He would do it because he loves it....

Sure, they had their stars, but it never seemed that they were loaded, particualarly on the offensive side of the field.

When you're regularly sporting the best OLine in the league, I'd say your pretty loaded since that's half your offensive personell right there.

Then when you throw in guys like Hines Ward, Jerome Bettis, Eric Green, Barry Foster, Plaxico Burress, Bam Morris, Randle El, Dan Kreider, Willie Parker, etc, you should be virtually unstoppable.

Especially when you consider that on most Sundays you're playing with a lead because your defense is consistently the most loaded in the NFL and coached by the best defensive coach on the planet.

All Cowher had to do was stay out of the way for the most part. Yet even with all that incredible talent and regularly playing in the NFLs weakest division, he still managed to miss the playoffs 5 times in his tenure and when he did get there he was below .500 until LeBeau won him a Super Bowl (this after Cowher ran LeBeau out of town).

This guy is bad news for any NFL team that foolishly gives him oodles of money or any organizational control whatsoever.

When you're regularly sporting the best OLine in the league, I'd say your pretty loaded since that's half your offensive personell right there.

Then when you throw in guys like Hines Ward, Jerome Bettis, Eric Green, Barry Foster, Plaxico Burress, Bam Morris, Randle El, Dan Kreider, Willie Parker, etc, you should be virtually unstoppable.

Especially when you consider that on most Sundays you're playing with a lead because your defense is consistently the most loaded in the NFL and coached by the best defensive coach on the planet.

All Cowher had to do was stay out of the way for the most part. Yet even with all that incredible talent and regularly playing in the NFLs weakest division, he still managed to miss the playoffs 5 times in his tenure and when he did get there he was below .500 until LeBeau won him a Super Bowl (this after Cowher ran LeBeau out of town).

This guy is bad news for any NFL team that foolishly gives him oodles of money or any organizational control whatsoever.

Are you kidding me? This reads like a Crayonz post.

If you're going to make this talent argument you can surely come up with 4 names who are twice the players of Barry Foster, Bam Morris, Randle El, and Willie Parker.

Are you kidding me? This reads like a Crayonz post.

If you're going to make this talent argument you can surely come up with 4 names who are twice the players of Barry Foster, Bam Morris, Randle El, and Willie Parker.

Considering that I was only talking about 2 positions over a limited time and had already mentioned HOF'ers like Ward and Bettis and ProBowlers like Kreider and Burress, those strike me as appropriately talented players.

Considering that I was only talking about 2 positions over a limited time and had already mentioned HOF'ers like Ward and Bettis and ProBowlers like Kreider and Burress, those strike me as appropriately talented players.

Limited time = ~15 years or so? How many franchises haven't had 3+ WR's better than Randle freaking El over that span, or 2+ RB's better than Foster/Morris? Certainly the lowly Bills have.

Limited time = ~15 years or so? How many franchises haven't had 3+ WR's better than Randle freaking El over that span, or 2+ RB's better than Foster/Morris? Certainly the lowly Bills have.

Where exactly did I say that the Stillers have had better RB's and WR's than every other franchise in the NFL during Cowher's tenure?

I said they've had arguably the most talented team in the NFL during that span, particularly once the salary cap started pinching the larger market teams.

And they've had the best OLine in the NFL, the best LB corps in the NFL, HOF'ers and Pro Bowlers in the secondary, the RB stable, the DLine, and the WR corps.

Are you somehow suggesting that this isn't true?

And you tell me how many franchises have had HOF's and Pro Bowlers at both the RB and WR positions over the last 15 years. And did those teams also have the best OLine in the NFL to go with it?

Or the best defense?

Or the best front office?

What exactly are you trying to argue about? <_<

Where exactly did I say that the Stillers have had better RB's and WR's than every other franchise in the NFL during Cowher's tenure?

I said they've had arguably the most talented team in the NFL during that span, particularly once the salary cap started pinching the larger market teams.

And they've had the best OLine in the NFL, the best LB corps in the NFL, HOF'ers and Pro Bowlers in the secondary, the RB stable, the DLine, and the WR corps.

Are you somehow suggesting that this isn't true?

And you tell me how many franchises have had HOF's and Pro Bowlers at both the RB and WR positions over the last 15 years. And did those teams also have the best OLine in the NFL to go with it?

Or the best defense?

Or the best front office?

What exactly are you trying to argue about? :sick:

Sigh, a few years ago I stopped getting suckered into responding to spin-doctoring semantic lovers on the internet who always have to cleverly accuse somebody of twisting what they say whenever they get called on a nonsense post...

I'm arguing about the average flash in the pan players that you thought were important enough to mention by name, which you're now backpedaling on. That is all.