So if you're the Detroit Lions do you.....

zow2

Throw all the money you have at Matt Cassell in free agency? then maybe sign JP as a possible backup or competition to push Cassell? I mean they might have the worst QB situation I've seen in a long long time. An NFL team cannot possibly win games without a competent Quarterback.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Throw all the money you have at Matt Cassell in free agency? then maybe sign JP as a possible backup or competition to push Cassell? I mean they might have the worst QB situation I've seen in a long long time. An NFL team cannot possibly win games without a competent Quarterback.

They need to start over. New coaches, but more importantly, better player personnel. They have had so many high draft choices that they should be could by now, but its they're the same old Lions. They tend to stick too long with personnel that don't fit or under-perform. Culpepper may not be a bad QB to build around for a couple years, but they should be building stronger defense and offensive lines. Once they have a competent QB, start rebuilding the trenches. I've always felt that the team that controls the trenches controls the game.

IMHO ....

Cassell is playing pretty darn good for his experiance level, BUT, say what you may about the Pat*s the both the team and coaching staff is excellent, experianced, and stable. Put Cassell on a team such as the lions and he'll look like a QB who hasn't started since high school.

A better route (again my opinion) would be to make a run for McNab and draft their QB of the future.

I draft Matt Stafford, and bring in a competant short term answer at starter, as they build up their team. I also get rid of their coach. Start from almost complete scratch.

I think Matt Stafford is the most overrated QB I have seen in a lot time. He has bust writing all over him.

As bad as teh Bills' situation is at times, I couldn't imagine being a Lions fan.

They need to start over. New coaches, but more importantly, better player personnel. They have had so many high draft choices that they should be could by now, but its they're the same old Lions. They tend to stick too long with personnel that don't fit or under-perform. Culpepper may not be a bad QB to build around for a couple years, but they should be building stronger defense and offensive lines. Once they have a competent QB, start rebuilding the trenches. I've always felt that the team that controls the trenches controls the game.

I think a major problem was Millen drafted only SKILL players in the first couple rounds, mainly WR's, ignoring the lines. A couple years ago the Bucs wanted to draft Calvin Johnson & Millen tried to get the Bucs to give up the farm to move up to get him. Because the Bucs refused the Lions drafted him even though they had MANY OTHER NEEDS than WR. The Bucs drafted Gains Adams who has played well for them.

So I guess nobody believes Drew Stanton has what it takes to be a good NFL QB?

It's not encouraging that a team that hasn't won a game would rather play a guy who was sitting on his coach most of the season over a 2nd round pick.

I don't know if Stanton is a player or not, but a lot of bad QBs can get picked early in the draft.

I'd start building up both offensive and defensive lines through the draft and FA. Bringing in a QB like Cassell would be a good idea, that way you could draft a good offensive lineman first (like Miami did) instead of using it for a QB (Joey Harrington). The Lions already have enough WR's, so they don't need anymore via draft. I'd wait until the following year to draft a RB (possibly in the 1st round, depending on who's available in the draft).

I think Matt Stafford is the most overrated QB I have seen in a lot time. He has bust writing all over him.

As bad as teh Bills' situation is at times, I couldn't imagine being a Lions fan.

He has a lot of the physical tools you look for. Georgia doesn't have a great pair of wr's. Yeah they have Moreno at rb, but AJ Green and Massaquoi aren't what I'd consider quality wr's. Stafford makes a lot of the same throws Matt Ryan had to make at BC. Into tight coverage, with little room for error. No I don't think Stafford is as good as Ryan. Stafford's footwork would concern me if I was scouting him. His accuracy is questionable at times. He's a pretty athletic guy, with a very strong arm. That alone will warrant consideration. For a team that is as bad as the Lions. He might be worth the risk. What will seperate him from the likes of a Sam Bradford, or Colt McCoy. Will be those physical skills, combined with the fact the SEC plays defense. The Big 12...well not so much.

I think a major problem was Millen drafted only SKILL players in the first couple rounds, mainly WR's, ignoring the lines. A couple years ago the Bucs wanted to draft Calvin Johnson & Millen tried to get the Bucs to give up the farm to move up to get him. Because the Bucs refused the Lions drafted him even though they had MANY OTHER NEEDS than WR. The Bucs drafted Gains Adams who has played well for them.

Agreed. That's what the Bills did during the Donahoe "Reign of Error", with the exception of megabust OL Williams. Drafting McGahee while we still had Travis Henry didn't pay off, and that could've been a respectable lineman on either side of the ball. Going back to th OJ days, it wasn't until Lou Saban started bringing in top linemen that teh Juice became a force. Before '72, OJ looked like a bust, but really he was outrunning his overweight and slow linemen.

as bad as their qb play is, their defense is, rather amazingly, much worse. Their secondary is just terrible. None of them seem to know how to tackle, keep containment, or even take proper angles to the ball. And actually looking at their roster, those guys are veterans. It's truly pathetic.

as for QB, going after Cassel would only be a good move if his value isn't as inflated as it seems likely to be. He might be a very good pro qb, but he may not be considering the Pats unmatched receiving talent and ingenious offensive system (both by how its designed and in playcalling).

much I think depends on what college qbs come out this year.

JP would have huge numbers in the Patriot offense.

JP would have huge numbers in the Patriot offense.

I doubt it. The Pats offense is predominantly a lot of dink and dunk to Welker and whatever back they've got in there, which JP would struggle with. He be good at the bombs and lobs to Moss which is how the Pats get in the endzone.