Historical Game of the Week

KRC

Ask and you shall receive...

September 13, 1992: Buffalo Bills vs. San Francisco 49ers

Next Week: In protest of Buffalo's neutral site game (I refuse to call it a home game), I will not cover a Buffalo team in the HGOTW. I will focus on the Rochester Jefferson's - WNY's first NFL franchise.

Thanks!

IIRC, there never was a no punt game before that and since then there hasn't been another one.

"With Jim Kelly and Steve Young battling it out, the fans knew that they were in for a shootout. They were not disappointed.

Jim Kelly passed for 403 yards, which made him the first Buffalo Bills quarterback to break the 400-yard mark. Steve Young kept pace and ended the game with 449 yards passing. Both quarterbacks had three touchdowns to their credit. "

They were the two best QB's in the USFL -LA Express & Houston Gamblers.

Didn't Kelly throw for 400 yds against the Browns in the infamous 'Harmon Drop' playoff game?

I hate this 'Bills in Toronto' thing as well. How 'bout next year do an AFL All-Star game with the mid-'60's Bills? In those days, the previous season Champs played college All-Stars. Just a thought..

"With Jim Kelly and Steve Young battling it out, the fans knew that they were in for a shootout. They were not disappointed.

Jim Kelly passed for 403 yards, which made him the first Buffalo Bills quarterback to break the 400-yard mark. Steve Young kept pace and ended the game with 449 yards passing. Both quarterbacks had three touchdowns to their credit. "

No question.

Didn't Kelly throw for 400 yds against the Browns in the infamous 'Harmon Drop' playoff game?

Yup. 28-45 for 405 yards, 3 TD, 2 INT

I hate this 'Bills in Toronto' thing as well. How 'bout next year do an AFL All-Star game with the mid-'60's Bills? In those days, the previous season Champs played college All-Stars. Just a thought..

That might be a good bye week topic.

Ask and you shall receive...

September 13, 1992: Buffalo Bills vs. San Francisco 49ers

Next Week: In protest of Buffalo's neutral site game (I refuse to call it a home game), I will not cover a Buffalo team in the HGOTW. I will focus on the Rochester Jefferson's - WNY's first NFL franchise.

Ahhhhhh, dem were da days. I get all misty eyed just thinking about it.

BTW, I sure hope Weezie gets a mention in next week's HGOTW.

I don't think that's true. Joe Ferguson threw for 400 yards in the Orange Bowl in 1983. That was an OT game though so perhaps it was first regulation time game it happened in.

I don't think that's true. Joe Ferguson threw for 400 yards in the Orange Bowl in 1983. That was an OT game though so perhaps it was first regulation time game it happened in.

You are correct. Fergy was 38-55 for 419 with 5 TDs and 1 INT in that game. My bad.

" How 'bout next year do an AFL All-Star game with the mid-'60's Bills? In those days, the previous season Champs played college All-Stars. Just a thought..

You're putting two things together. The NFL had a game with last season's champion vs. College All-Stars that was the first pre-season game before the HOF Game was. I remember the Jets playing in it the summer after Super Bowl III. It was invented in the 30's by Arch Ward, the Chicago sports editor who also thought up the MLB All-Star Game. In the 30's a game between College All-Stars and an NFL team was apparently competitive. It was eventually dropped because it was an awful game by the 60's and the NFL hated letting blue chip draft choices stay out of training camps to get ready for it.

The AFL started with an East vs. West All-Star game but tried a champions vs. the rest of the league format for one year, 1965 (= why the Bills played it). That was a post-season game like it is now. The source for the format was the old 6-team NHL, which did the same thing but, IIRC, played the game mid-season. I don't remember what the AFL did in '66 but since the champion had an extra game (SB I) I think they went back to East vs. West.

God I feel old knowing this stuff.

You're putting two things together. The NFL had a game with last season's champion vs. College All-Stars that was the first pre-season game before the HOF Game was. I remember the Jets playing in it the summer after Super Bowl III. It was invented in the 30's by Arch Ward, the Chicago sports editor who also thought up the MLB All-Star Game.

Arch Ward was also the founder of the All-America Football Conference. The first three teams he contacted to be in his new league were cities that were rejected by the NFL that same year (1944): Los Angeles, San Francisco and Buffalo. That is how the original Buffalo Bills came into existence.

Imagine how I feel. <_<

The AFL started with an East vs. West All-Star game but tried a champions vs. the rest of the league format for one year, 1965 (= why the Bills played it). That was a post-season game like it is now.

Thanks! Great stuff! I remember the Pack playing college kids and we played as a team against - well, some group of players.. :thumbdown:

Feeling a tad gray myself.. :wallbash:

QUOTE (molson_golden2002 @ Nov 25 2008, 01:47 PM)

You are correct. Fergy was 38-55 for 419 with 5 TDs and 1 INT in that game. My bad.

Rookie Dan Marino's first ever start, if my ever-suspect memory serves me this time..

QUOTE (molson_golden2002 @ Nov 25 2008, 01:47 PM)

Rookie Dan Marino's first ever start, if my ever-suspect memory serves me this time..

That is how I remember it. And late in regulation Miami was in field goal range late and Darryl Talley--also a rookie--sacked Marino to push them out of FG range! That's why game went to OT. I asked Talley about that once on a call in radio show and he said it was one of his best moments as a pro. I guess they had played the year before in college and Talley was getting his revenge. :thumbdown:

That might be my all time favorite Bills game.