Chargers: should they bench LT

RLflutie7

from John Madden on Sunday night. He basically said, LT isn't the same player that he was and I kind of think he's right.

I think they could get some things done with Darren Sproles and Jacob Hester and there's no shame in that.

LT has always seemed to struggle against the better teams. At least once or twice a year he has a terrible game.

The guy's been great and he can score at will, but he's fallen off the last two years.

The fact is that this is LT's 8th season, and it's truly rare to get top flight production from your RB for that long. Look at his 2001 classmates:

Deuce McAllister is in his third season in tandem with Reggie Bush, and has been lately losing carries to Pierre Thomas. Travis Henry is out of the league, though of course, he's had his series of problems. Rudi Johnson has been dumped as washed up. LaMont Jordan can't get on the field because of some guy named BenJarvus. And you want old and washed up? Anthony Thomas came out the same year as LT.

And none of those guys had anything like the level of focus that LT commanded. Go back a year, and it's all guys who are clearly past their prime and almost past their ability to stay in the league: Shaun Alexander, Reuben Droughns, Thomas Jones, Jamal Lewis - none of those guys is the best RB on their team right now.

The fact is that this is LT's 8th season, and it's truly rare to get top flight production from your RB for that long. Look at his 2001 classmates:

Deuce McAllister is in his third season in tandem with Reggie Bush, and has been lately losing carries to Pierre Thomas. Travis Henry is out of the league, though of course, he's had his series of problems. Rudi Johnson has been dumped as washed up. LaMont Jordan can't get on the field because of some guy named BenJarvus. And you want old and washed up? Anthony Thomas came out the same year as LT.

And none of those guys had anything like the level of focus that LT commanded. Go back a year, and it's all guys who are clearly past their prime and almost past their ability to stay in the league: Shaun Alexander, Reuben Droughns, Thomas Jones, Jamal Lewis - none of those guys is the best RB on their team right now.

Ummmm, are we talking about the Thomas Jones who's been the most productive RB in the AFC this year? But otherwise, very good post. A running back's shelf life is certainly short.

I wish running backs could last as long as QBs. Maybe LT can get a couple more seasons. He'd be smart to share more time with the two other guys.

Ummmm, are we talking about the Thomas Jones who's been the most productive RB in the AFC this year? But otherwise, very good post. A running back's shelf life is certainly short.

Yeah, my opinion that the Jets suck and all their players are overrated garbage isn't really backed up by evidence anymore, is it?

from John Madden on Sunday night. He basically said, LT isn't the same player that he was and I kind of think he's right.

I think they could get some things done with Darren Sproles and Jacob Hester and there's no shame in that.

LT has always seemed to struggle against the better teams. At least once or twice a year he has a terrible game.

The guy's been great and he can score at will, but he's fallen off the last two years.

He INJURED!!! The last report was a "turf toe" I believe. No way is he tanking it on purpose. Why the Chargers still play him is beyond logic.

Running backs tend to "hit the wall" faster than any other position. It doesn't tend to be a slow steady decline. Rather, one year they have it, the next year they don't. That's why I'll never blame Barry Sanders or Tiki Barber for quitting while they were ahead.

I agree. Sean Alexander is another example. NFL MVP one year,,,oft injured does nothing his next year...now sits as a 4th string RB for Washington. The RB's that stick around for years and years and productive are amazing.

I think I just figured out who crayonz really is.

Avg. career of a generic NFL player is a little over 3 years.

Avg career of a RB is under 2 years.

There's a pretty good reason for this.

LT may not be done, but the mileage accumulates.

first of all, every RB has a bad game or two during the season

LT was hurt last year and is hurt again this year and is clearly starting to breakdown but the Chargers would in no way be better with him on the bench

This is why Marshawn's "Beast Mode" worries me. I admire his ability but wonder if he will make himself prone to injury over the longer term. Helpful that he and Freddy J can alternate. I am beginning to believe in the RB Tandem concept.

Thurman's career is all the more impressive when you think about the durability and pounding he endured. In reality if you add up all of his Playoff and SB games he actually played another NFL season beyond what his record suggests.

Just say his nagging injury is bothering him and start someone else. easy. I remember by the end of every football season I had a dozen things that would bother me if i wasnt playing. I suspect LT will come back and play well in the future.

I'm not sure about benching him, but he's not himself. I know he's put up ridiculous numbers in the past, but I always thought he was a bit overrated. There a good handful of backs I'd take over him on my team RIGHT NOW.

You're right on. LT HAS always been overrated. I mean, they pimp this guy like he's some phenomenal sort of HOF back. All he's done over his 1st 7 years in the league is average over 2000 yards from scrimmage and 15 TDs per season and miss a total of 1 game. Those guys are a dime a dozen in the NFL.

Running backs tend to "hit the wall" faster than any other position. It doesn't tend to be a slow steady decline. Rather, one year they have it, the next year they don't. That's why I'll never blame Barry Sanders or Tiki Barber for quitting while they were ahead.

just like LJ hit it in KC....

You're right on. LT HAS always been overrated. I mean, they pimp this guy like he's some phenomenal sort of HOF back. All he's done over his 1st 7 years in the league is average over 2000 yards from scrimmage and 15 TDs per season and miss a total of 1 game. Those guys are a dime a dozen in the NFL.

I don't believe people are ripping this guy. One significant difference in the Chargers running game is the loss of 255 lb Lorenzo Neal knocking out holes for LT to run through. The guy (LT) has been playing hurt.