Supermarkets offering "take-out"

stuckincincy

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no seriously, if you have never seen a wegmans and thier take out counters(everything from paninis to chinese to fried to just about anything) you have been missing out, and in this area I know Ukrops and Kroger have been doing it for years...the 90's remark was a bit of a stretch, but its been a while over 5 years i am certain....

Chicken Wings, chicken strips, pizza subs, cakes, salads, sushi, Chinese food bar and other things I'm probably forgetting.

Wegmans also has a restaurant in their pittsford store called Tastings.

Linkage

First let me premise this that I shop at Wegmans in Pittsford. I have always seen people going into Tastings and thought it was so strange to see dressed up individuals in the same location as the grocery store patrons. Anyway, my husband and I had a chance for a "date" and we decided to give the restaurant a whirl. IT WAS FABULOUS! Friendly waiting staff, inviting decor, very welcoming once you enter the place. On the main menu, the first thing you will notice is a "tastings" menu. They have up to five courses that you can enjoy, with two selections per course, and you can choose these courses with or without wine for tasting. We chose the 4 course option with wine tasting. Every course we chose was scrumptious. As far as the wine was concerned, my husband enjoyed every tasting selection but I only enjoyed 2 out of the 4. This was not a damper for me because the entire event was meant for me to "taste" different foods/wines. The 2 wines I did not enjoy were not awful, just not something I would pursue buying outside of the restaurant. The medallions of beef were melt-in-your-mouth perfection (I hope I am getting you salivating, because I am just thinking about it.) Overall the price was expensive but well worth it for the experience alone. We have decided that we will make Tastings our wedding anniversary restaurant from now on.

Exactly... I started working at Dubel's (Como/Appletree) in the mid-1980's when I was a teenager... Actually, I was a bit under age to work the slicers... Nobody said anything... I worked in the deli... There was all kinds of take out... From the chicken that Cincy so affectionately remembers to all kinds of stuff... People would call and we would make it up... From pizza and wings to fish on Friday.

And yes... I consider this all take out... Like I said, I don't remeber the menu except we made what ever the customer wanted.

What planet are you from Cincy? :):lol:

Oh God forbid!!!! :bag::bag: Where was the precious Meat Slicers Union :lol::doh: to protect you from being exploited as child labor!!! :wallbash::doh:

:doh::bag:

I just hope we didn't get a piece of EII's finger in our cold cuts! :)

My mother used to shop at the store he worked in.

EII- have all your fingers??

Oh God forbid!!!! :bag::bag: Where was the precious Meat Slicers Union :lol::doh: to protect you from being exploited as child labor!!! :wallbash::doh:

:doh::bag:

It was union... I was only actually months away from being legal... I probably would have got in trouble.

And yes Wacka... One Sunday morning back in 1986 I sliced a nice little part of my index finger while trying work an end of Krakus ham for a lady. I did drive myself to St. Joes Hospital though... Had a standard shift 1979 RX-7 that I had to shift with that right hand too... :)

Supermarkets need hold off Wal-mart in some manner...and this is just one of them. They're losing too many customers too Supercenters.

Perhaps. My thought is that the supermarkets feel that with a tight economy and with restaurants bemoaning a drop in their business, that expanding their ready-to-eat offerings is a profit maker.

I'm well aware that marts to varying degrees have offered such for a long time.

Wegman's is known throughout the grocery industry as an innovative leader. Pooj is not telling tales when he says Wegman's was doing food court/take out since the early 90's. And we're not talking dried out chicken under a heat lamp either. Take the McKinley Parkway Wegman's right by RWS for example: Their food court has a sushi bar, a beef-on-weck bar, salad bar, chinese stir fry bar, deli counter, and pizza counter. And that's located right next to their bakery that is full of gourmet desserts. I always stop there on game days. I live in NH and anytime I go to Buffalo/Rochester I do my grocery shopping at Wegman's and drive the 500 miles home.

PTR

Boston has had this since I moved here in '89. Star mkt, Shaws, Bread and Circus. Pretty standard in these parts. We've also had home delivery of groceries for over a decade.

What the hell? :thumbsup:

Do they have clowns on unicycles juggling baguettes in the eisles?

:hand raising thingy

Mario Batali in one of his "Molto Mario" episodes put it nicely: "The only reason to eat out is if you don't want to wash the dishes afterwords".

Saturday breakfast last: Mr. and Mrs. stuckincincy have eggs and sausage, home fries, toast, coffee at restaurant. $13.50 plus $2.25 tip.

Sunday dinner last: Shared 12 oz. choice grade rib eye steak purchased @5.99/lb, baked sweet and Idaho potatoes, sauteed mushrooms, frozen green beans, Jiffy mix powder biscuits. Less than $10.

Plus 10 cents worth of Cascade dish wash detergent.

Mario Batali in one of his "Molto Mario" episodes put it nicely: "The only reason to eat out is if you don't want to wash the dishes afterwords".

Saturday breakfast last: Mr. and Mrs. stuckincincy have eggs and sausage, home fries, toast, coffee at restaurant. $13.50 plus $2.25 tip.

Sunday dinner last: Shared 12 oz. choice grade rib eye steak purchased @5.99/lb, baked sweet and Idaho potatoes, sauteed mushrooms, frozen green beans, Jiffy mix powder biscuits. Less than $10.

Plus 10 cents worth of Cascade dish wash detergent.

Mrs Chef and I went out to a nice dinner Saturday night to celebrate our house in escrow. Four courses at one of the best restaurants in the county and the cost with tip was less than $160 which is usually half of what we spend when we go out big like that. The key? Brought our own bottle of wine (Chateau Bellvue 2000 Bordeaux) that we paid $85 for more than five years ago and they only charged $10 for corkage. I was shocked at what we got for dinner for that price.

Mrs Chef and I went out to a nice dinner Saturday night to celebrate our house in escrow. Four courses at one of the best restaurants in the county and the cost with tip was less than $160 which is usually half of what we spend when we go out big like that. The key? Brought our own bottle of wine (Chateau Bellvue 2000 Bordeaux) that we paid $85 for more than five years ago and they only charged $10 for corkage. I was shocked at what we got for dinner for that price.

Good 'ole Jim.

On a site with numerous folks worrying about their economic future, folks with ill children, young people hoping that the debt incurred for education gets them decent employment, we can always count on you to brag, and rub your money into their faces and wipe your feet off on their troubles. :thumbsup:

Good 'ole Jim.

On a site with numerous folks worrying about their economic future, folks with ill children, young people hoping that the debt incurred for education gets them decent employment, we can always count on you to brag, and rub your money into their faces and wipe your feet off on their troubles. :thumbsup:

I wasn't bragging or rubbing my money in their faces. I was just pointing out that even us rich people have had to cut back. We feel their plight.